Rewiring boiler control (Y plan)

Options
Long story short, our conventional boiler was serviced and since the gas man has been, the heating only comes on when the cylinder stat calls for heat, it ignores the room stat (which was not the case before he ‘checked it’ and then tried to sell us a £150 rewiring job (no accusations, I’m just saying what happened))

Question: Is rewiring a Y plan controller (I have the wiring diagram) part P or can it be DIYed?

I wanted to isolate the 240v and then visually see if any wires have been moved or are placed differently from the schematic I have, but not if it’s a ‘regulated’ job.

Comments

• Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    If you dont know, should you be messing with it?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Question: Is rewiring a Y plan controller (I have the wiring diagram) part P or can it be DIYed?

It is a repair, so does not need any "certificates". IF you know what you are doing, no need to call in a "professional".

I've just changed my boiler control system, and that involved quite a bit of new cabling, both mains voltage and low voltage data - Loving all the graphs & data being collected and the ability to set a temperature for a set time (no limits on temp/time slots).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • EnterUserName
    Options
    Thanks both for the replies.

I’ll take a peek and if unsure call in a sparks (but not that plumber, don’t trust him :D)
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot of sparks don’t know how to wire a Y plan either.
    Depends how it was fitted and the state of the junction box. I’ve seen some horrendous ones that are an absolute nightmare. So just make it clear before they attend.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2019 at 7:19PM
    Options
    When I was doing this I used a wiring centre box and never had any follow up problems with the wiring. Plus they make it easier to find a fault.
    An amateur could do it if careful.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It will ignore the room stat unless the heating (CH) is calling for heat. Has the Gas Man turned off or otherwise interfered with the heating time clock? Is the 3-port valve attempting to move when the CH call is present? Do you have a manual lever on the 3-port valve and if so can you move it?
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Why was he even touching the wiring on a boiler service ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why was he even touching the wiring on a boiler service ?
    This

As well as that most fitters don't know how to wire an S plan or a Y plan, it's nor an electricians job either so most of them don't know.

I have done a few mostly S plan but I had to go on a course for it a few years ago. Get in someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't think any gas engineers or sparks for that matter will be or even should advise on this kind of stuff.
  • ianto11
    ianto11 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    This

As well as that most fitters don't know how to wire an S plan or a Y plan, it's nor an electricians job either so most of them don't know.

I have done a few mostly S plan but I had to go on a course for it a few years ago. Get in someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't think any gas engineers or sparks for that matter will be or even should advise on this kind of stuff.

Was there meant to be a link on "This" ? :)
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    ianto11 wrote: »
    Was there meant to be a link on "This" ? :)

Not how I read it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport