Cleaning filthy wood floorboards

Options
I’ve bought a house which I’m renovated. We’ve just had the plasterers and the whole house has been replastered. However before start to paint I need to clean the house as due to the renovations the house windows, doors, door frames, skirting boards, and floors are thick with dirt and dust. What is the best way to clean bare wooden floorboards that are thick with dirt and dust? I would normally use a mop and bucket and clean floors but the there floorboards are not sealed and there are numerous gaps. Any suggestions?

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it is dirt and dust rather than stuck on blobs of plaster, start with a really good vacuum cleaner.

Then repeated wiping down with a mop - it doesn't have to be dripping to do a good job, just regularly rinsed and squeezed. Each time, there will be less dust.

If you have any stuck-on blobs of plaster, use a "blunt blade" (e.g., something firm like plastic, but not metal, or you will scratch the wood). If the boards are soft wood, be careful you don't cause scratches or gouges.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hoover first then damp mop
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Maybe use a floor sanding machine if grime/stains won't wash out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    but the there floorboards are not sealed and there are numerous gaps. Any suggestions?

Put down protective sheeting before you start....woops too late.
    (the stuff is cheap <£1sqm seems crazy not to use it)

Depends what the plan is once clean, if hoping to just leave them good vacuum and repeated moping.

If going to do some finishing work then a good stiff brush to get the worst off vacuum then sand.
  • buttonmoon
    Options
    Ive brushed the floor to get up the biggest bits and then vacuumed. I’ve got my mop at the ready but will make sure it is damp rather than wet.

At this stage I just want to get the house clean enough to paint. As the house is filthy at the moment I would be worried that if started painted and then I opened a window or a door then I would end up with dust stuck to my paint!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You will need to wash everything probably more than once.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The dust settles for days! My newly plastered ceilings kept on "shedding" until they had a mist coat applied. Weeks later, I'm still discovering blobs and smears on door frames, skirting boards etc.

Hoover with a good filter (it will need replacing or washing afterwards), on hard floor setting - brushes will kick up more dust. Crevice tool for exposed joists and under skirting boards, top of door frames etc. Damp mop...several times. Scrape off blobs. Mop again.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport