CCTV types

Options
Hi,

I'm looking into getting an alarm and cctv on my house following the theft of my motorbike (bye bye Monster Eric :mad:) and attempted break in next door. Alarm I'm fine with (vibration sensors on windows rather than PIR as I have cats) but debating the type of CCTV.

IP is £100 more than HD, but not sure if it is worth the extra. Any views gratefully recieved!!

Sallly

Comments

• mravass
    Options
    Hi, fitted this camera recently: Amazon Item model number: CT0414BKUK
    ASIN: B073GQ8T2. ieGeek Security Outdoor Camera 1080P.
    WiFi connection worked for me but can be wired to network. The ratings tell the whole story.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some new cameras like the Hikvision Acusense have a bright strobe light that flashes on detection which is a good deterrent ( optionally it can play a prerecorded message). Can tell the differance between cars, people and animals and you can tailor the response. Can send notifications to your phone too.

Oh and with PIR you can get ones that don’t go off for cats or dogs.
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    mravass wrote: »
    Hi, fitted this camera recently: Amazon Item model number: CT0414BKUK
    ASIN: B073GQ8T2. ieGeek Security Outdoor Camera 1080P.
    WiFi connection worked for me but can be wired to network. The ratings tell the whole story.

I've just spent 50 minutes reading about the above ieGeek CCTV Camera on Amazon. The manufacturers description and the ratings are good. However, the customer reviews tell another story, ie. Poor WiFi connection, camera records raindrops but not a badger walking past and failed to record a criminal on the property. There are far better CCTV cameras out there.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've fitted Analogue High Definition (AHD) CCTV cameras. All 1080p with IR (night vision). I have to say they are excellent, video quality is fantastic. They are connected to a pretty cheap 8 channel CCTV DVR which does it's job.

Normally you need to run two cables, power and coaxial, but you can buy a "balun" which allows you to run both power and signal over a CAT5 / CAT6 cable, which is much more convenient. For short cable runs (10m) this is ideal.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • tiggerbodhi
    Options
    Hi, i install CCTV for a living and HIK Vision installer, although IP cameras are easy to install, the cabling can be easier, they are really only needed on larger commercial sites where there is an existing or new IP infrastructure to use making installation across a large estate cost effective.

Similar image quality cameras are available on IP and TVI (Analogue)

For a domestic environment would normally suggest 4MP TVI cameras, can get messy with power supplies and wiring as the Standard TVI cameras need separate 12v power supplies, look at the HIK Power over Co-Ax product, still very cost effective, easy installation using a single CO-Ax to each camera and high quality optics on the cameras.

A lot of systems are all sold as 1080P HD cameras, but the image quality is more than just the pixels, its about the lens quality, night vision standard etc.

If you are installing yourself, budget about £300-400 for a decent 5MP 4 channel system, Don't waste your money on the £40 cameras from Amazon, they record to themselves or you need to subscribe to cloud storage, image quality i often poor, the first thing a burglar often does nowadays is steal the camera, Ring Door bells go missing regularly!
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't waste your money on the £40 cameras from Amazon, they record to themselves or you need to subscribe to cloud storage, image quality i often poor, the first thing a burglar often does nowadays is steal the camera, Ring Door bells go missing regularly!
    Amazon cloud service is free, image quality is good. Yes they are easy to steal & aren't anywhere near as good as a proper CCTV installation but better than nothing & simple to install & set up.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, i install CCTV for a living...

For a domestic environment would normally suggest 4MP TVI cameras, can get messy with power supplies and wiring as the Standard TVI cameras need separate 12v power supplies, look at the HIK Power over Co-Ax product, still very cost effective, easy installation using a single CO-Ax to each camera and high quality optics on the cameras.

Similar to the OP, I am looking to get hold of a domestic cctv - probably 4 cameras - probably fairly cheap as the primary purpose for me is to be a visible deterrent.

Question to @tiggerbodhi - I would ideally like to install cameras that seem to glow red in the dark as those are the ones I really notice on houses when im walking my dog at night. Some dont seem to glow at all and some are really obvious. I was wondering if it was the cheap ones that glowed and the expensive ones were more incognito?

Thanks
  • SallyDucati
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, some really useful advice.
  • troffasky
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    I would ideally like to install cameras that seem to glow red in the dark as those are the ones I really notice on houses when im walking my dog at night. Some dont seem to glow at all and some are really obvious.

It's the IR illuminator lamps that glow red - they leak a bit of visible light in addition to the IR. The difference could be explained by either slightly different LEDs that emit differing amounts of visible light, or what brightness level it's set it. It's unlikely to be anything to do with price. Spiders seem to love IR lights, by the way, so you'll forever be getting alerts featuring spiders crawling across the lens!
  • tiggerbodhi
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Similar to the OP, I am looking to get hold of a domestic cctv - probably 4 cameras - probably fairly cheap as the primary purpose for me is to be a visible deterrent.

Question to @tiggerbodhi - I would ideally like to install cameras that seem to glow red in the dark as those are the ones I really notice on houses when im walking my dog at night. Some dont seem to glow at all and some are really obvious. I was wondering if it was the cheap ones that glowed and the expensive ones were more incognito?

Thanks

The red you see is the IR LED's for night vision, there is no hard and fast rule of the cost showing more LEDs but the bullet style cameras tend to have a ring of LEDs around the lens which are more obvious.

Spiders can be an issue as they like to warm themselves on the IR LEDs, to counter this we install cameras with a separate LED to the lens, you may see these a lot as we call them "pig nose" cameras.

Some of the cameras you may see with bright red LEDs are often dummy cameras, the LED is purely a deterrent.

Is you are covering a driveway go for at least two cameras, one a bit more obvious than the other, from experience anyone up to no good will see one, often looking straight into it, then looks for another and does the same, they may at that point try to smash the camera or teal it, but as long as you have cloud or NVR storage you will still have evidence, often worth losing a camera for a really good close up!
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure