Failed application

Options
Hello,

With a holiday coming up I decided to get a backup credit card and after looking at the posts on here, I applied for the below as it has 0% fees abroad for a certain period;

<can't post link as new user>
Barclay platinum travel credit card

I did the pre-approval check and got 8/10 but after applying I was rejected - the reasons detailed were;

A. I have applied for alot of credit recently
B. I regularly miss credit payments
C. (Something else along these lines, I forget what)

None of which is true - I've never applied for a credit card/loan, I don't have any existing debts/credit cards (I don't even have an arranged overdraft) and I can save £1000+ a month with ease so I'm not short on cash.

I did an Experian check a couple of years ago and the result was like 986 with longest account or something sitting at 5 years (phone contract) so I went to do another one and it said they couldn't verify my identity!?! Why is this?
Now I think about it; I've lived at my current address for nearly 5 years but my bank account was still registered to my Dad's address (as per when I did my previous credit check), I did recently change my bank account address to my current address - could that be the reason?

I find it odd I was outright rejected, although a friend suggests it's because I've not had any credit in the past...?

Cheers,
Ryan

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Inaccurate record of address stability.

Perhaps not registered to vote.

Lack of financial products.

Lack of a relationship with Barclays.

Being remotely interested in a credit score that implies you're wonderful when clearly you're not.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    If you've never had credit before you'd be better off trying to get a credit building card.

Did Barclaycard really specify those were the reasons you were turned down? I've never seen that before and wonder if they were examples some of the reasons why you might have been rejected.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

Are you on the electoral roll (does it show on all 3 files?)

Do you have any other closed / settled accounts in your history?

Do you have many other 'credit' accounts showing on your files such as bank account / mobile phone etc.?

Have you made any credit applications in the last 12 months?

Do you have any other loans / overdraft / car finance etc?

Do you have any late payments / defaults / CCJs?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • xRDK
    xRDK Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    @PeacefulWater;' I'm registered to vote and have voted from my current address for the past 5 years I've lived here.

"Being remotely interested in a credit score that implies you're wonderful when clearly you're not." - not sure what you're saying here exactly?

===

@Shortcrust; yes there were 3 reasons on the rejection page, I can't remember the 3rd but it was along the same lines as the first 2 - they did say they would write to me regarding their decision, maybe that'll shed some more light on it.

I just wanted the card because of its 0% rates for transactions abroad; I have a Monzo but they recently introduced cash withdrawal limits and also it's a Mastercard, which I've read can some times be an issue in Cuba, so to be on the safe side I thought I'd get a VISA card.

I am currently saving for a deposit on my first home, I'm guessing I am unlikely to get a mortgage if I can't even get a credit card...? I didn't really think of this, should probably do some research on building a credit score.
  • xRDK
    Options
    @CandyApple;

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    <links removed, won't let me post with them>
    Experian:
    Experian said they couldn't verify my identity so I can't log in.

Equifax:
    Call Credit:
    I'll check these after work

Are you on the electoral roll (does it show on all 3 files?)
    I am on the electoral roll, I fill the form in every year and I am also registered to vote.

Do you have any other closed / settled accounts in your history?
    Don't exactly know what this means? Like loans I've taken out and paid off? I've had numerous phone contracts over the years that I've never missed a payment on but that's it.

Do you have many other 'credit' accounts showing on your files such as bank account / mobile phone etc.?
    I have a 12 month phone contract open currently - never missed a payment.
    I have a Natwest Platinum account that I pay each month for, have had it for a very long time and never missed a payment

Have you made any credit applications in the last 12 months?
    No

Do you have any other loans / overdraft / car finance etc?
    None of the above.

Do you have any late payments / defaults / CCJs?
    No
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    "Being remotely interested in a credit score that implies you're wonderful when clearly you're not." - not sure what you're saying here exactly?
    Don't pay any attention to the number. You've already discovered why. High number yet you've been declined. It's meaningless.

Perhaps try an Aqua credit card for UK use. Make a normal purchase. Get statement. Pay bill in full (don't get charged interest). Rinse. Repeat month after month.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    xRDK - all the info requested comes from the credit files which you will need access to first before replying.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • xRDK
    Options
    Oh right, my bad.

Experian won't show me a report because they can't verify my identity, I'll try the other 2 when I get home and post the results.
  • xRDK
    Options
    Isn't applying for multiple credit cards in a short period of time bad? Would it adversely affect me if I applied for an Aqua card also? What if they too reject me?

I've heard of using a credit card to build a credit rating but I've never bothered because, to be honest, they scare me - I worry I'll end up cocking something up and then get hit with a ridiculous bill, when I could've just paid for the item on the debit card and not had any issues...
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    xRDK wrote: »
    Isn't applying for multiple credit cards in a short period of time bad? Would it adversely affect me if I applied for an Aqua card also? What if they too reject me?

I've heard of using a credit card to build a credit rating but I've never bothered because, to be honest, they scare me - I worry I'll end up cocking something up and then get hit with a ridiculous bill, when I could've just paid for the item on the debit card and not had any issues...

The benefits of getting a credit account showing on your file (i.e. getting an Aqua card) far outweigh any negatives from having another application. Anyway, two credit applications in a short period of time isn't a bit deal. It might make your score drop a little but as has been discussed that doesn't mean very much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure