Maternity and redundancy

Hi there,

My wife is taking redundancy whilst on maternity leave. So she will be having a lump sum of redundancy and maternity pay. My question was will she be entitled to any benefits or income support. As she will be out of work when the baby is born? I've tried using the online calculators but they seem to vary in results from one to another.

Many thanks

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Most work replacement benefits would be based on your joint income and savings.

So, are you working? What do you earn? What savings do you both have?
  • My wife will be taking redundancy and I'm working full time around £22500 yearly salary before any contributions taken out. And no savings between us.

Thanks
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    How much is the redundancy payment as that could effect income based benefits

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Facing-redundancy/Will-my-redundancy-pay-affect-my-benefits-entitlem
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Once the baby is born then you will definitely be entitled to child benefit.

You may be eligible for child tax credits and possibly housing benefit depending if you rent and depending on the area you live.

We have some good tax credit 'experts' on here - afraidofkittens and icequeen (to mention just a couple) so hopefully they will give you more details.

They will want to know how much your wife earned last tax year.

You could also go to Citizens Advice who would do a quick benefit check for you.
  • That's great thank you all. It was future planning on my part really to see if we were entitled to anything financially. As with the best budgeting and skrimping my wage couldn't support a family. Thanks again
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can she not apply for jobs after the baby is born
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You will have your wife's redundancy payment.

How did you expect to mange after the baby was born? Presumably your wife in tended to go back to work so will be looking for work again.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    What was your household income for last tax year, 2017/18?

Your wife will also need to calculate her expected income for this tax year. She can exclude redundancy up to the tax free amount of £30,000 and the first £100 per week of maternity pay.

If once this is calculated your household income is above £26,000 it's unlikely any tax credits will be payable. If she returns to work after maternity then there may be childcare help but again depends on income.

You would also need to check if you're in a UC area or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure