The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• A big welcome to all the new members who have joined us recently. This thread has really struck a chord with a lot of people so thanks again to patman for setting it up in the first place:T

Sorry to hear about your latest car troubles, patman. We all seem to be spending so much money on one car problem or another. At least you have the knowledge and ability to be able to keep costs down as much as possible. A lot of us just have to rely on the integrity of garages not ripping us off. As a woman who, to be honest, knows very little about the mechanics of cars:o, I dread having to take mine into a garage for advice and quotes:eek:

Just getting organised to take my car in for it's MOT AT 9. I'm hoping the £35 fee is the only money I'll have to fork out on keeping it on the road. Had to complain recently about a car wash and they gave me my money back plus a voucher for their top of the range wash. Would never pay that amount for a wash, I usually do it myself anyway, but I used it yesterday to give it a good pre-MOT spruce-up. Even OH says the car is looking great. I know it won't influence the MOT result:rotfl: but it's made me feel quite proud (for once in a blue moon) of being seen in such a good-looking old car. The mechanic always tells me what great condition it is in underneath, it's certainly not corroded and rusty which is amazing considering the rough rural life it's led! It's just wear and tear stuff that goes wrong and it's just unfortunate that it's of an age when a lot of things are just wearing out:eek:
  • Thanks for letting me join!

I will be using my neglected ISA to save this fund, there could possibly be a couple of pound in the account to get me started - need to check - otherwise I am starting from zero!
  • milky1991
    milky1991 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2015 at 11:49AM
    Hi can I join please

Over the last few months I've wished I had a back up fund but have never put money in it. I've opened an ISA to start my emergency fund currently with £1 in it :) It will be slow and steady as I'm also paying my credit cards off, but good to know there is some money there for emergencies , I will earmark some money each month to go in the ISA :T
    As of 24th August 2016 total money owed was
    £15,708 :eek:
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    A big welcome to member #120, milky1991. I never thought we would get more than 50 people joining this challenge, so to reach this number is amazing.

Am I glad I started this thread ?. Yes, I am. I have now got a (small) EF to rely on whilst my benefits are sorted. I am also in a financial position that I was not in last time I lost my job.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• And we're all glad you started it too,patman. A bit of a savings cushion, however small it is, is just one less worry to keep us from sleeping soundly at night:)

Just got back from having car MOT'd. It passed with no advisories to have to worry about getting fixed in the near future:j.
    To say I'm deliriously happy doesn't even come near it:rotfl:.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

EF still intact as I account for MOT costs from general budget. It's repair costs that clean me out:o
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all!

Haven't posted in a while but I have been slowly building up my EF. I recently applied for a job which I really want (although I don't think I'll get after a pretty horrendous second interview!) however it is for a lot less money but is a step I need to take at some point to progress my career long term. I was then fortunate enough to get a pay rise at my current job which works out £200 a month extra, so I've started putting that £200 straight in my EF. I'm not used to having it therefore I can't miss it! I will definitely need the security of having an EF as a back up should I get this job, but it will be a benefit to have it anyway!
    Starting again..
  • patman99
    Car part rrived today, so will drop car of tomorrow.
    I will make sure that they give me the old switch assembly back as I can fix it ready for when the replacement breaks (or I could sell it on and get back what i spent on repairs as a new unit without the radio control stalk (which mine has) is £280.

If I can get the old one fixed, then it could be the start of a new venture as no-one currently repairs them.

• You seem to be able to turn your hand to all sorts of things, patman:T. It must be wonderful to have skills in so many different areas:beer:
  • patman99
    Car part rrived today, so will drop car of tomorrow.
    I will make sure that they give me the old switch assembly back as I can fix it ready for when the replacement breaks (or I could sell it on and get back what i spent on repairs as a new unit without the radio control stalk (which mine has) is £280.

If I can get the old one fixed, then it could be the start of a new venture as no-one currently repairs them.

• patman99
    It's all thanks to the power of Google and Youtube.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback