0 hour contracts son receives p45

Options
Hi all
Hoping you can advise my son, he has just got his first weekend job on a 0 hour contract. He often paid out for travel to get there for them to tell him there was no work. He paid £30 for their uniform which they took out of his wages. He accepted all this and just worked when they needed him.

Today he received a letter with his p45 in it he’s not had any warning or told he has been sacked or anything. I was wondering if there was anything we can do as this company hires a lot of young teens if this is there first experience of work it’s not good. He is looking for something else as it’s only seasonal anyway but I’m angry for him that they can just do this and get away with it. As I’m sure my son was not the first and will not be the last.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Make £5 a day in May total so far £2

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your son is best off out of it. Not a lot you can do unfortunately.

Hope he finds something else soon.

PS did his contract authorise the deduction of £30?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • badgerbread
    badgerbread Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the uniform charge was in his contract
    Make £5 a day in May total so far £2
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all
    Hoping you can advise my son, he has just got his first weekend job on a 0 hour contract. He often paid out for travel to get there for them to tell him there was no work. He paid £30 for their uniform which they took out of his wages. He accepted all this and just worked when they needed him.

Today he received a letter with his p45 in it he’s not had any warning or told he has been sacked or anything. I was wondering if there was anything we can do as this company hires a lot of young teens if this is there first experience of work it’s not good. He is looking for something else as it’s only seasonal anyway but I’m angry for him that they can just do this and get away with it. As I’m sure my son was not the first and will not be the last.

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Your son is best off out of it. Not a lot you can do unfortunately.

Hope he finds something else soon.

PS did his contract authorise the deduction of £30?

What this girl said.

I once came home from a holiday to open a letter and found my P45 in it. I was actually delighted and relieved as the job was hell. More specifically the job itself was OK but the person in charge made it an unacceptable environment to work in. Never knew any boss to be that bad before or since.

0 hour contracts? IMO they are not a proper job. Wouldn't touch the gig economy with a stolen CV.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    given the time of year, def. a P45 and not a P60?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TyreLever wrote: »
    0 hour contracts? IMO they are not a proper job. Wouldn't touch the gig economy with a stolen CV.

I suspect a lot of people would agree with you - but don't have the luxury of a wealth of full time non-contract salaried employment opportunities available to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure