Son been kicked out of hostel, nowhere to go.

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    It seems probation can!!!8217;t house him. He!!!8217;s on a SOPO but there aren!!!8217;t any hostels for sex offenders in the area,

Maybe he could be given a place in a sex offenders hostel somewhere else then. Is that not an option?
  • What!!!8217;s a crow? Not the bird surely.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    SOPOs are managed by the police. You won't get any help from probation unless he is currently on license.

If he is on license then probation are obligated to support him with housing but, depending on the original sentence and the conditions of his license, he could be liable to recall to prison.
  • booger.........
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Why aren!!!8217;t my posts writing properly on here. I!!!8217;m using a iPad.

You need to switch 'smart punctuation' off on your Apple device to stop it happening.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    You need to switch 'smart punctuation' off on your Apple device to stop it happening.

I'd rather people didn't, as then maybe MSE would fix the problem if we keep getting this garble.

I don't think we should advise people to turn off a pretty useful piece of software because MSE won't pull their finger out and fix it.
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How old is he and roughly what area is he in. There is a very good charity called Mayday Trust that home younger adults "temporary accommodation" upto 3 years. However they are only in Oxford/London/Northamptonshire at the moment.
    Also most of their residents are over 18 but occasionally there is a 16/17 year old that gets a place. This may in fact stop him from getting a place as he is a sex offender, not sure on the specific guidelines, but I believe they do accept them as long as no minors are in the building or based upon a meet and greet interview. Mainly a homeless charity but they consider every application individually. SO if he could be referred by SOPO if possible it will give him a greater chance of being processed faster.
  • butterfly76
    butterfly76 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2018 at 5:59PM
    Why is it so hard to get support for a person if they are unwilling to engage with services especially somebody with severe mental illness such as Schizophrenia? My son has been homeless nearly 4 months and on the streets using space and heroin. He is very psychotic and hearing voices and having delusions. Because these delusions have a persecution nature he is flat out refusing support from mental health services. He is functioning and mental health services say unless he becomes a danger to himself or others he can't be sectioned and get the help that he needs. I have been tempted to house him at my house but because of the drugs feel like I couldn't cope.

No body is willing to house him. Not from his past sex offending but because of his arson convictions committed in late teens/early 20s He has arson to endanger life.. That has closed alot of doors for him.

I would love to house him privately but that has worked out bad in the last time I did it, because he lives a chaotic lifestyle and the houses quickly becomes a drug house it wouldn't work out. I feel at a total loss. I love my son but can't find anyway to help him. I need him sectioning and detoxed and on meds. I need him sectioning !!!!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    unless he becomes a danger to himself or others

How will they know when he reaches that point? Does he actually have to harm himself or others?

Can your doctor help?
  • Basically yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family