Invoicing

Hi All

This is my first post so hopefully doing this right

I did an online order and purchased a few items, one of the items had it's price listed as POA it was something that I wanted so added it to the basket expecting to be given the price after completing the order. When I checked out and paid the item came up as being £0.
I thought nothing of this and was expecting contact to give me the price
The items including the one for £0 Have now been delivered and I have received my final invoice as I paid the total on checkout.
Am I obliged to pay for the item now as it has been listed on the paid invoice and given a £0 value ?
Much confused....

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How much has it been listed for on the invoice?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't ought POA meant pay on arrival, i.e. You pay the postman before you get the item so it will be on a separate invoice.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    "POA" usually means "price on application". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_on_application
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    How much has it been listed for on the invoice?
    Am I obliged to pay for the item now as it has been listed on the paid invoice and given a £0 value ?

Seems it was invoiced at £0.

You'll have an idea of what it should've cost, so might hit your card for the money later.
  • It was listed on the invoice as being £0 And an final invoice has been sent stating that I have paid in full.
    It has been over a week now and no further payment has been taken and surely they can't store my card details after an online payment to use again without authorisation?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    If it had POA (Price On Asking) why didn't you ask them the price before completing the purchase?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 9:54AM
    Normally when i visit a site and an item states POA the order button is usually disabled, so you cannot add it to cart.
    but if not i have the sense to call them for a price as that is what it technically saying.

OP the retailer has 6 years where they can chase you for the goods or the price of the goods.
    why not call then and explain, they may say its OK keep them as it was our mistake
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Legally I'm not sure it can be yours for £0 as there's no reciprocity in the contract. If it had been £0.01 then maybe, but £0 quite possibly not. I'm sure a contract lawyer will have an opinion.

Either way, someone is going to lose their job for this, whereas calling them up and pointing out the problem might mean someone gets away with a bollocking and the company offers you a good price for your integrity (as £0 is clearly an error). My 2p, anyway.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No consideration = no contract.

Even if there is a contract, it can be void for unilateral mistake - where only one party is mistaken and the other was aware (or should have been aware) it was a mistake.

Personally, I'd contact them now get it sorted rather than risk them trying to charge an unspecified price at some point down the line.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    How much would the item normally cost?
    If it is a small amount like £5 or £10, they may well mot worry about it and simply say to keep it free of charge but if it's something like £100, they will in all likelihood chase you for the money or the item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure