Buying in Bulk

Comments

• Looks good thanks for the link, so they don't have an online website / service with delivery? Maybe there are some cheaper alternatives available.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Generally speaking, most people will either not consume enough of an item to make it worthwhile and/or won't have space to store it appropriately.

I could buy, say, 10 years' worth of loo rolls ... but I'd have to move out of my house to store them.
  • Generally speaking, most people will either not consume enough of an item to make it worthwhile and/or won't have space to store it appropriately.

I could buy, say, 10 years' worth of loo rolls ... but I'd have to move out of my house to store them.

Makes sense haha, bigger house = more storage space = save money buying bulk, so you can buy an even bigger house (and the rich get richer).
    But jokes aside so I guess it's not possible to save money going wholesale if I dont consume enough / have enough storage space?
    Shopping at waitrose it is for me then :rotfl:
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160
    First Post
    Forumite
    Err. Shopping at Aldi, if possible, would be cheaper than Waitrose Jason!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When we used a wholesaler, I found that we became greedy over boxes of confectionary, eating more than usual just because it was there.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    When we used a wholesaler, I found that we became greedy over boxes of confectionary, eating more than usual just because it was there.

This is why we don't buy confectionery from Costco :)
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jasonhyp wrote: »
    Looks good thanks for the link, so they don't have an online website / service with delivery? Maybe there are some cheaper alternatives available.

You can order online at costco.co.uk, all the prices include delivery so are higher than in the warehouse. Also the online selection is very different online, there are more one-off type items, the warehouses have more groceries and everyday things.

Another option if you want to bulk buy online is Amazon.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160
    First Post
    Forumite
    Much as I do love Costco, can't get enough of those Medjool dates, most stuff is available cheaper elsewhere.
    I do get their water softener tablets, not a brand I know, but seems to work, and are cheaper than anywhere else, as far as I can see.
    Off to the States shortly, so expect to find out if their Costcos offer the greater choice, and value, that I remember from previous visits.
  • Much as I do love Costco, can't get enough of those Medjool dates, most stuff is available cheaper elsewhere.
    I do get their water softener tablets, not a brand I know, but seems to work, and are cheaper than anywhere else, as far as I can see.
    Off to the States shortly, so expect to find out if their Costcos offer the greater choice, and value, that I remember from previous visits.
    Yes, I get the feeling that the reason most people buy in bulk/wholesale is to save time, effort and because it sounds much more fun than buying individual items from Aldi ;)
    I guess its the promise of cheap items that gets people through the door but the expensive Medjool dates that keeps them spending :D
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I buy lots of tins or tomatoes when they're on offer, 'cos i can use them in so many things when cooking. When Weetabix is on offer i stock up. Buy a lot of 'bread flour' so i know it's always there.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport