Marriage Costs

Hello everyone,

Myself and my partner are planning on getting married. My partner has been doing the planning and she tells me that it is going to cost £17k. We make less than £20k/yr combined. I know that weddings cost a lot, but £17k seems an awful lot?

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It doesn't have to cost anything even remotely close to that.

This is from 2015, but much is still valid
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/27/how-get-married-finances-wedding-costs
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello everyone,

Myself and my partner are planning on getting married. My partner has been doing the planning and she tells me that it is going to cost £17k. We make less than £20k/yr combined. I know that weddings cost a lot, but £17k seems an awful lot?

As it is your wedding, I do not understand why you are not involved in the planning of it. You both need to talk about what your expectations are, and what you can afford to pay. It is absolutely ridiculous to talk about spending £17K when between you, your earnings are less than £20k.

You need to get involved, your partner needs a reality check. It is not the best start to a marriage to spend over 10 months of your annual income on one day.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ask your partner what!!!8217;s more important, being married or having a wedding?
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    The problem with weddings is that they costs can spiral, and you would be surprised how much thing actually cost when you look into it. That's not to say you can't have a lovely wedding alot cheaper but it is likely that the imagine she'd has in her head is more expensive than that.
    17k will likely get a reasonable nice venue with 100 guests, 3 course wedding breakfast, bridal boutique dress, wedding cars etc etc. However, don't spend what you don't have or don't want to spend. If you and partner want to spend 17k and are happy to spend say 4-5 years saving this money - then go for it! However if you want to be married quicker then it is possible to get married on much less and it still be a wonderful day, things like choosing a midweek day, offpeak (winter) etc will lower venue costs, having a late ceremony so there is no wedding breakfast will save a fortune, lowering your guest numbers for the day, no wedding cars, fake flowers instead of fresh etc etc. Look at the wedding forum there are lots of tips!

The first thing you both need to do is sit down and decide what you can afford to save each month, and how long you are willing to wait until you get married - then you have your budget and you work from there!
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    On your salary that's a huge amount to consider spending on a wedding. We are getting married in 12 weeks and spending under £4k. Sit down with her and discuss the options and why this amount is required, visit venues and negotiate deals where you can.
  • Caraway90
    Caraway90 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That sounds a crazy amount of money, especially in relation to your earnings. I think some people are too focused on the wedding day (one day) and not the fact you are getting married (hopefully forever!). I would be really unimpressed about my other half even suggesting we spend that much.

I love the idea of getting married, and hope to one day - but the thought of spending that much money on one day, no way!
    FTB 2017 :D
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your partner needs a reality check and you need to put your foot down sharpish ! Sit down together and rework the plans. A wedding should cost what you can afford, in your case, i'd say a couple of grand tops.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    £17k on one day! A day that is often less enjoyable for the couple than they imagine with all the stress and duty socializing required, and that passes incredibly quickly.

It might help to talk to your partner about what else that amount could be spent on that would give you more 'bang for your buck' as it were.

Towards a house deposit or reducing your mortgage
    Lovely furniture
    Holidays and travel
    Car
    Clothes
    Savings

Show them what the other options are and it may give some perspective.

Put your hands up.
  • £17k for one day is unrealistic if you are only earning 20k BETWEEN you in a year.

Why are you on here asking you KNOW this is bang out of order, and to be fair if you don't deal with it now, you might as well put your balls in her handbag for all eternity as its setting a precedent of how things are going to be

Me and my husband earn around £55k a year and we had a wedding that cost 3k
    With love, POSR <3
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    thorsoak wrote: »
    As it is your wedding, I do not understand why you are not involved in the planning of it. You both need to talk about what your expectations are, and what you can afford to pay. It is absolutely ridiculous to talk about spending £17K when between you, your earnings are less than £20k.

You need to get involved, your partner needs a reality check. It is not the best start to a marriage to spend over 10 months of your annual income on one day.
    Bit in bold - me neither.

What your partner means is that she wants wedding-y things that will cost £17k.
    There are unavoidable costs involved with getting married.
    They do not, however, come anywhere near £17k.

There is a specific wedding board, BTW.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport