We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing an neglected garden

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 July 2017 at 3:52PM
    Thanks DD - they're working like Trojans, now strimming the front of the wall and chucking the pile of vegetation over the fence into the field where I put my grass cuttings sometimes.

The top right hand corner is looking so much better with the brambles and nettles all gone (for now).

The rain is coming I think, dark clouds are appearing so I don't know how much more they can do.

Just to add an earlier view (and the rain has arrived)

Cows_30_June.jpg
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Do you own the land or are renting?
  • Gers
    edited 30 July 2017 at 6:07PM
    30_July_1.jpg 30_July_2.jpg 30_July_3.jpg 30_July_4.jpg

Rain-soaked but strimmed! A sudden and prolonged hailstorm / torrential rain immediately brought standing water to my cleared site.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    That is very tightly brushcut!

So what is your next move?

Looking at the pics, one wall seems to be south-ish facing. Good to go with deep beds?
  • Gers
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That is very tightly brushcut!

So what is your next move?

Looking at the pics, one wall seems to be south-ish facing. Good to go with deep beds?

Yes! Definitely a number 1 cut there.

The plan is that the growth will be sprayed with weed killer to get rid of as much as possible. Once it's bare I think (no expert so advice happily received) it needs levelled.

The whole plot is south facing, it's glorious in sunshine and should be really productive by next year. Raised beds etc. We have access to tons of seaweed and comfrey for feeding.

Plans...I just need to be patient now I think.
  • Davesnave
    Gers wrote: »
    Plans...I just need to be patient now I think.
    Yes, don't spray until you have substantial re-growth to accept the glyphosate.

You can then level and re-sow with less coarse grasses, if required. The wild stuff will still infiltrate, but it will help keep mowing to a minimum for a good many years.
  • Gers
    I was thinking of putting a deep layer of wood bark chippings down inbetween the raised beds. The theory (for me) is that it will discourage weed growth and give me a better walking surface than grass.

Is that viable?
  • Davesnave
    Gers wrote: »
    I was thinking of putting a deep layer of wood bark chippings down inbetween the raised beds. The theory (for me) is that it will discourage weed growth and give me a better walking surface than grass.

Is that viable?
    Don't see why not, especially if you can find a sawmill and get a deal on a bulk load.

I might leave some space for a shaded area to sit nd admire the view too!
  • Gers
    The 'garden' today after weeks and weeks of rain and a storm which lasted from Sunday until this morning.

[URL="[url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://image.ibb.co/j66tJw/05_Oct_17.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]05_Oct_17.jpg

SO much standing water! Still, it's looking so much better. Nothing much will happen now until early spring.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Lovely. Agree with Dave - a bench for the view!

Note where the water pools. You could do worse than improve the drainage there while there's little to grow, either by putting in some drains or, and it would probably be enough, just loosening the soil to a good depth.

If there is standing water, bark chippings will tend to hold it rather....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure