Ceiling fans any good?

Comments

• tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    having sold and used ceiling fans in the past i can certainly say they do work. i have them in most rooms in my place in spain and wouldn't be without them.

i would say get a good make, or particularly in the bedroom, a cheap one will be louder and vibrate more, and that can be really annoying (not so much in a lounge).
    One of the best makes in the UK is Fantasia. Long guarantees, good choice of styles but obviously not the cheapest around.
  • We have one above our bed, bought it from B&Q it has an integrated light, and comes with a remote control, very effective. Well worth the £70 or so.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a "Spinnaker" fan by Fantasia. It has a big span and on the slowest setting is near silent. I am a very light sleeper and can sleep with it going.

At slow speed it doesn't create a gust, it feels cooling by effectively creating a gentle breeze that moves away the air that your body is heating and replacing it with cooler air. If you're under duvet that's not going to help much though - if it's that hot the duvet is off in my house.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    bobwilson wrote: »
    I think it's down to opinion- many people would find a ceiling fan too hot & noisy (it adds to the heat of the room, but not everyone is sensitive enough to feel that heat, in the same way not everyone is sensitive enough to be disturbed by road noise while its drowned out by fan noise. It's still there though. It's down to your perception; some people are more perceptive than others. Sometimes it's luckier to be less perceptive.). As for the position above the bed, it depends if you have bunk beds or kids who might jump on the bed. A ceiling fan can be EXTREMELY dangerous if hit by mistake. Even if just putting a jumper on with your arms in the air.
    They don't make any noise, they don't get hot & if you touch them they stop.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • thebigstillmeister
    thebigstillmeister Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:24PM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    They don't make any noise, they don't get hot & if you touch them they stop.

Completely agree,.. think bobwilson is getting confused with an aeroplane propeller,

We've had the same one for years with an integrated light and remote, just replaces the standard light fitting, got ours from Argos, was about £100 at the time and has clear perspex blades, highly recommend getting one,
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for all the replies, some very interesting information there and has helped me make my mind up
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bobwilson wrote: »
    many people would find a ceiling fan too hot & noisy (it adds to the heat of the room, but not everyone is sensitive enough to feel that heat

I have 4 ceiling fans in my house (All Fantasia Viper) and even on high speed they only use 105 watts of power. (low and medium speeds are about 50 & 70w).
    The heat given out by such a low wattage motor is minute and thee is no way that anyone would notice a difference in room temperature from the heat given off by this motor.
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:35PM
    Ruski wrote: »
    Someone's been watching too many 'Final Destination' movies :)

or perhaps someone just has a different opinion than yours

Ruski wrote: »
    Yes - they can give you a clout, but I've never had my hand chopped off.

that must be reassuring for any mother with children, get a ceiling fan it'll be fine! This grown man was given a "clout" but was lucky enough to not quite have his hands chopped off
    Completely agree,.. think bobwilson is getting confused with an aeroplane propeller,

We've had the same one for years with an integrated light and remote, just replaces the standard light fitting, got ours from Argos, was about £100 at the time and has clear perspex blades, highly recommend getting one,

Let me see.. aeroplane propeller or ceiling fan... hmm... nope, I'm thinking of a ceiling fan. It's a well known fact that most people who own items almost always recommend them, even if they're not good. This is human nature. On the other hand, people who have used them, lived with them, and vice versa, are more capable of a balanced view point. This isn't an insult, it's just a fact.

There is a reason you won't find many middle class families in Britain with a ceiling fan from Argos.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ignore all the "Fans heat up the room" comments. Whilst technically true, the perceived temperature is lower - just like the weather forecasts that give both actual temperature and "feels like" temperature, what it feels like is more important to your personal comfort than what a thermometer records.

Fans definitely make a room feel cooler and will reduce the temperature around a heat generator (such as a person asleep in bed) because they will distribute the heat throughout the room more effectively than it would through dissipation alone.

If you want to buy a fan, B&Q (loath as I am to recommend them) are currently discounting some of their old ranges to introduce others with new, whizzy names - worth checking them out. We have B&Q Whosh, fans and they are great)

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    They don't cool the room, in fact, fans heat up the room due to the motor & and kinetic energy to the air. If you leave a fan on in a room for a day and close the door, then turn the fan off a day later, you'll notice the room temperature is higher than other rooms.

Any "increase in heat" from the (normally around) 20 - 40 Watt power will be more than lost in increasing air convection from the room to the surroundings, and greater conduction on the cooler surfaces (if any). They do work; they may not be that common in the UK (and neither are very high temperatures) but they are ubiquitous across warmer countries. Of course, "Johnny Foreigner" probably knows nothing of good old British thermodynamics, and couldn't give a fig if their little woman loses her hair - or even her child's head.... but the blades are generally very light, blunt, and have very little kinetic energy. Mine won't even cut a page of A4 (I just tried for fun, fully expecting to lose a finger or two!).

Then, the other reason they work is because the room temperature is rarely up at 37°C, and it's the flow of air across the warm body that cools the warm human... it may not have the same effect on a thermometer.

I have spent enough time working abroad, sometimes in some hellish places to make sure I grab a room with a ceiling fan whenever possible.
    There is a reason you won't find many middle class families in Britain with a ceiling fan from Argos.

Is that because, combined, more middle-class people buy their ceiling fans at Homebase, Ikea, B&Q, Dunelm Mill and Amazon...?

OP: they work, and the passably OK ones are safe. Try and find one that has larger, slower blades (better air circulation, quieter, easier to decapitate enemies). If it has a light, one with a full-range dimmer is better than three stops, which is common. A remote control is great, especially for bedroom ones. In my experience, the very expensive (£300) ones are no better than the £80 ones. Later in the year, the prices all get cut heavily....

... as do scalps... :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport