We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Shoots from the stem's base of a Rose tree - should I remove them?

magn8p
magn8p Posts: 263 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 May 2018 at 1:53PM in Gardening
I am new to the green fingers forum and an amateur in gardening.

I recently purchased a standard rose tree and potted it in a container (with holes in the bottom for good drainage) as can be seen below. The tree has weathered the harsh colds of "beast from the east" and now ready to bloom.

However, I recently observed there are a couple of shoots form the base of its stem - can be see in the second picture.

Is it okay to leave them or should I remove them so that the tree doesn't waste it's energy on the offshoots like that?

Also, I water the plant every day till I see the water seep through the drain holes - is this a good practice? Is there anything else you think I should do for its health?

Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DNamBW2QNDCdAtD5bwjj647p8bZOUHdz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ub8dLut6I0ASyZu2sMpJntuN2rWuCPSb/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,196 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Remove the new shoot, it is from the rootstock, which will be some form of briar [dog rose]

You can see the grafts onto the root stock, the knobbly bumps on the stem

If you leave it it will take over and you will have nice dog rose in a pot

Do not just cut it off, look up "root suckers" to see how to remove it without making it worse
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • magn8p
    magn8p Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2018 at 2:41PM
    Thank you. Did that right away.

I have a followup question, I have another rose tree (not as premium as the one showed in the picture, but one that I purchased from Tesco as a bare root), which has struggled to have any foliage since I planted it.

It was originally planted in a shallow container, thinking this was an issue, repotted it in the ground, but it still seems to struggle. I see its foliage buds come but they are dry out before they become leaves.

Do you think how I can bring it to life?
    Farway wrote: »
    Remove the new shoot, it is from the rootstock, which will be some form of briar [dog rose]

You can see the grafts onto the root stock, the knobbly bumps on the stem

If you leave it it will take over and you will have nice dog rose in a pot

Do not just cut it off, look up "root suckers" to see how to remove it without making it worse
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Give both roses a rose fertiliser. use a specific rose one , not a general one.

Usually you feed in April as they start to grow and agin in June/July for the second flush of flowers.

If you can get it horse manure is ideal for roses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure