New State Pension Guide

Comments

• As a minimum you should be on track to receive the same as you would have got if the system hadn't changed i.e. approx £120/week.

But you can also now add £4.55/week for each additional year you make sufficient National insurance contributions (or are credited with a year for some other reason). This applies to 2016:17 tax year onwards so your current entitlement may already include an additional amount for 2016:17 if it was a qualifying year for you.

If you go onto your personal tax account on gov.uk and look at the State Pension bit you should be provided with two figures, the amount you are currently entitled to (as of 05:04:2017) and the maximum amount you can get if you continue to contribute. It should also tell you how many years you need to contribute to get to the maximum. The maximum may well be £159.55.

Ignore any COPE value.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2018 at 11:46AM
    molerat wrote: »
    You do have a full record but for the period you were contracted out there will be a deduction. Your post 2016 contributions will most likely be the ones that make up the deficit so you will receive the full benefit at retirement. What exactly are the numbers on the forecast ?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]

* 32 years of full contributions
    * 14 years to contribute before 5 April 2030 (this was from 2016 !!)
    * 5 years when you did not contribute enough
    30 of those years are contracted out
    I am unlikely to be able to add any more years through work (living on an ill health pension - topped up by part time work) but am looking at buying more if possible

I am currently 54 years old

[/FONT]
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2018 at 11:50AM
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]

* 32 years of full contributions
    * 14 years to contribute before 5 April 2030 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif](this was from 2016 !!)[/FONT]
    * 5 years when you did not contribute enough
    30 of those years are contracted out
    I am unlikely to be able to add any more years through work but am looking at buying more if possible

I am currently 54 years old

[/FONT]
    And the £ numbers ?
    Are you receiving benefits ?
    Get a new forecast, you can do it daily if you wish.
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 17 March 2018 at 11:56AM
    And the £ numbers, it also states how many years you need to contribute.
    Are you receiving benefits ?
    £124.38 per week with 8 years missing !
    I thought that the max years were 36 ?
    But if I pay the £5600 required to make up to 40 - is there any guarantee that my pension will increase to its max ?
    only DLA (so no NI benefits)
    And my work doesn't pay enough
  • molerat
    edited 17 March 2018 at 12:01PM
    £124.38 per week with 8 years missing !
    I thought that the max years were 36 ?
    There are more numbers than just that one, there should be forecast amount, current amount and max achievable amount. Some of those amounts could be the same.

During the transition from pre to post 2016 pension scheme the number of years changed from 30 for those retiring before the change to 35 for those starting work after the change. For those of us in between the number of years is irrelevant, it was the £ amount of pension accrued at April 2016 that counted which can be added to going forward. How much do you earn per week ? Over £113 you will be credited NI.
  • 50Twuncle
    There are more numbers than just that one, there should be forecast amount, current amount and max achievable amount. Some of those amounts could be the same.

During the transition from pre to post 2016 pension scheme the number of years changed from 30 for those retiring before the change to 35 for those starting work after the change. For those of us in between the number of years is irrelevant, it was the £ amount of pension accrued at April 2016 that counted which can be added to going forward. How much do you earn per week ? Over £113 you will be credited NI.

I earn less than £113 per week but my works pension precludes me from claiming any benefits other than DLA !
    I have just tried to log on to GOV.UK website for more up to date forecast and been blocked for another 24 hours - their website access is a joke !!
  • molerat
    Would you meet the criteria for ESA although not eligible to actually claim ?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have just tried to log on to GOV.UK website for more up to date forecast and been blocked for another 24 hours - their website access is a joke !!

I've been using the GOV Gateway for a few years now, I find it easy to use, very useful and reliable, never had any problems at all. Must be something you're doing not quite right.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • molerat
    mgdavid wrote: »
    I've been using the GOV Gateway for a few years now, I find it easy to use, very useful and reliable, never had any problems at all. Must be something you're doing not quite right.
    Agreed. It was a bit of a pain when they changed over and the verification process required a passport or photo licence so I lost access but then went to CRA info and not had a problem since.
  • 50Twuncle
    Would you meet the criteria for ESA although not eligible to actually claim ?
    No - my works pension is too high (£8k pa)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback