Equities Strategy

12346»

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    What's the Nikkei over the past 30 years?

As if you didn't know ;)
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    Forumite
    ChesterDog wrote: »
    I agree, but I did say "with reasonably favourable winds", and I am seeking above-market returns.

Which is not to say that I expect to achieve them consitently or over a long period, simply that I am seeking them.

Edit: although that's heading a bit off-topic as far as the point I was making goes.

We all hope for the best and the optimistic, or maybe self deluded among us, think they can beat the market. Your plans should be based on historical market returns and the careful investor will actually plan on getting a bit less.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,106
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We all hope for the best and the optimistic, or maybe self deluded among us, think they can beat the market. Your plans should be based on historical market returns and the careful investor will actually plan on getting a bit less.

There seems to be an impression that I am on a diffetent songsheet than this.

I am not.

I would be quite content with market returns, and plesantly surprised if I continue to beat them longterm.

The careful investor may well plan on getting a bit less, but surely won't seek to do so. For my part, I can afford at least to seek better: equities are just one of several baskets after all.

I do also hold Vanguard's FTSE Global All-cap fund - that is what I regard as my benchmark. As time goes by, I intend to slowly and progressively gravitate towards it as a primary holding.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Prism wrote: »
    As if you didn't know ;)

Actually I don't. :)

Though obviously has been poor.

I can remember when it was first possible to invest in Japanese shares. Wasn't possible to own direct. We transacted business through Extel on a nominee basis.

In time they'll become flavour of the month again. Just as the large US Corporations currently dominate.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,794
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Actually I don't. :)

Though obviously has been poor.

I can remember when it was first possible to invest in Japanese shares. Wasn't possible to own direct. We transacted business through Extel on a nominee basis.

In time they'll become flavour of the month again. Just as the large US Corporations currently dominate.

Its pretty bad - I am using this calculator https://dqydj.com/nikkei-return-calculator-dividend-reinvestment/

If you were a local investor in Yen its a shocking 0.5% annualised after inflation. If you were an international investor in dollars its a truly poor -0.9% annualised.

My best performing fund of recent years is my Japan fund and I do think that there is a robotics and automation revolution beginning to get some steam which should benefit Japanese companies.
  • inflationbuster
    inflationbuster Posts: 247
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 8:29PM
    Its important to note that the 2008 crash is included in those 10 year figures. If we took Nick Train's 9 year annualized return it looks much better at 21.8%

Fair enough i'll take back my paltry returns statement in this case. Nick can be my wingman anytime.
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Accepting that what you said was hyperbole

Per above. Regardless l wouldn't invest in a fund right now.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My best performing fund of recent years is my Japan fund and I do think that there is a robotics and automation revolution beginning to get some steam which should benefit Japanese companies.

Was the Japanese that originally led the automated machine tool revolution. 30 years ago £250k would buy a (tape) programable machine that utilising a 132 different tool pieces could produce a torpedo nose cone out of a solid block. Shows how far technology has advanced since then.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,446
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 12:51AM
    Fair enough i'll take back my paltry returns statement in this case. Nick can be my wingman anytime.

That young Zulu Mark Slater also knows a thing or two about shares.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    Forumite

There's a market timer/stock picker born every day.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • There's a market timer/stock picker born every day.

There are many more dumb money investors joining the queue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure