PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Fitted" Wardrobes being left behind by vendors

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have new wardrobes fitted, the workers would probably take away the old ones,as in the the case of fitted kitchens.Companies often do kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms so will have the same policy for all)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Tax rebate?
    I think they mean GiftAid.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You know you can take them apart qith a hammer and put them outside in half an hour and phone a local rubbish removal guy who will probably take them away for £30 or so
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    There are more than one type of fitted wardrobes.

Ours were built with the house along one wall an extra stud with the doors and the internal fittings are wall to wall.
    In effect a mini room 62cm deep.

After market can be done like that or more common they are standard/custom carcase units where the gap to the wall is just a fillet piece, these are more common because they can take all the standard fitting drawers etc. into the carcase sides.

Think Ikea flat pack bolted to the wall and a nice surround to make them look fitted.

If they are the latter then there is a lot of usable/saleable options for what is a free standing wardrobe once you have them removed
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 10:22AM
    Great thread on a common topic, that resonates with me. I am buying a house that is advertised as having "built-in" wardrobes in BR1, and says nothing about "built-in" wardrobes elsewhere. In fact, BR2's wardrobes look even more built-in than BR1, and are a worse problem as (a) they only allow room for a single bed in between, and (b) have a weird, botched-looking diagonal section on the wall where the door opens into.

The problem for me is that I have a double bed for BR2, and I really don't like the look of the built-ins in BR1. So, currently, even if I do remove the built-ins, I have nowhere to reasonably store my current wardrobes.

I do really like the idea of seeing if the doors in BR1 could be painted, replaces, etc. If the guts of the robes look fine, that may be a perfect solution - but I definitely want the ones on BR2 gone. I have my surveyor taking a look to see some of the things that have been pointed out - are the walls behind different, have the skirting boards been removed, etc.

To the OP, I'd say yes, it's a pain, but just communicate courteously via your solicitor and the seller won't take offence and the worse that can happen is they say no, they won't remove them.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 12:25AM
    Ugly fixed wardrobes have their uses, esp if as an ftb you have very little furniture. They enable you to get stuff out of boxes and shove stuff out of sight, so you get straight quite quickly.

Then you get rid/replace at your leisure.
  • dunroving
    On a related note, when I bought my current house, I was "kindly left" the following )without any warning):

A dozen large goldfish in the garden pond (I managed to keep them alive for about 6 years until a particularly, ahem, "frozen" winter)

A complete, crap, homemade miniature railway set-up, minus tracks, in the attic (cost me one large skip and a day's cutting and sawing and lugging).

"Built-in" wardrobes in BR 1. In fact they consisted of sliding mirror doors only, with a load of free-standing, crap shelves and drawers inside, and hanging rail falling of the wall.

"Built-in" wardrobes in BR 2 - see above. Except in addition, he had cut away the end of the PVC window sill to "fit" the sliding doors next to the widow! And there was an old breeze-block sideways-facing boiler cupboard inside!

He had the cheek just before closing to ask how much I wanted to pay for his massive hot-tub that was in the garden. I said, courteously, via my solicitor, on your bike, if it's still there when I move in, I'll be charging for removal.

As others suggested, when I was due to remove the sliding wardrobe doors, I put them on Gumtree or Freecycle and someone came and picked them up. Win-win.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There really is no accounting for taste, is there, dunroving? :rotfl:
  • dunroving
    Smodlet wrote: »
    There really is no accounting for taste, is there, dunroving? :rotfl:

With all the snow we have been having up here recently in rural Scotand, the hot tub would have come in handy.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    That's right, I couldn't think of the phrase last night

Thanks
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories