PO Drop and Go?

Sorry if this has been asked before or is a stupid question... :rotfl:

I went and posted 4 parcels on the self serve bit in the PO today and as the lady was taking my parcels she asked if I had heard of Drop and Go. It all sounded great but upon reading the leaflet it has bits such as Company Type which are a mandatory field.

Is this service exclusive to companies only? She didn't ask if I was posting business items or anything like that, and it doesn't seem to say explicitly on the site about it being a service only for companies to use, it's just the leaflet she gave me that is throwing me.

Does anyone else use this service?
Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We used to use this. However we found it not to be as good as they claimed. You still have to queue up. The difference being that you just hand over your parcels with a manifest of how you want them sent. They then do them without you having to wait. You have an account that you top up with money to pay for it. Next time you go, you get your proof of postages.

We got fed up with it as it didn't matter how early we dropped them off, they didn't get done till after the last post had gone, adding an extra delivery day. We also still had to queue up to drop them off. We tried two different post offices and still had the same problem. We rarely send anything through post office now so gave up on it.

We are a business but weren't asked for any proof we were a business. We are also a business in the sense it is just me running from home. So if they insist on a business then just put your name as the name. But we were told it was for anyone, not just business.

It does save time as you don't have to stand there while they are all processed but it really depends on your post office to how good the service is. If you are only sending 2 or 3 at a time then you really have to consider if it is going to save you all that time.
  • It would be ok if they took the mail 2nd class and processed it the next day as 1st class.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mrcol1000 wrote: »
    We used to use this. However we found it not to be as good as they claimed. You still have to queue up. The difference being that you just hand over your parcels with a manifest of how you want them sent. They then do them without you having to wait. You have an account that you top up with money to pay for it. Next time you go, you get your proof of postages.

We got fed up with it as it didn't matter how early we dropped them off, they didn't get done till after the last post had gone, adding an extra delivery day. We also still had to queue up to drop them off. We tried two different post offices and still had the same problem. We rarely send anything through post office now so gave up on it.

We are a business but weren't asked for any proof we were a business. We are also a business in the sense it is just me running from home. So if they insist on a business then just put your name as the name. But we were told it was for anyone, not just business.

It does save time as you don't have to stand there while they are all processed but it really depends on your post office to how good the service is. If you are only sending 2 or 3 at a time then you really have to consider if it is going to save you all that time.

ah okay that's good to know! It's the first time I've ever sent more than one and don't see myself very often sending more than a few at a time. There's not normally much of a queue either at the self serve so probably just as quick for me to continue doing it how I do it :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • nsl101
    nsl101 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »

Can I ask please what service do you use instead of the post office. I have a drop and go card and find more often that not a modern day post office wont accept it as there not a full post office, so the drop and go system actually defeats the object as i'm having to specifically go to a drop and go post office.

The Royal Mail delivery office across the road from me will let me post things there but only if its not international which is a pain. The original reason for getting the drop and go was to allow me to drop off on the way into the office... but that idea is a non starter due to the wrong information on the website about what services are offered by the local convenience store pretending to be a post office, and i am now tired of the post office and their policy of making my life harder to post things...

Id like to explore other options ... :-)
    Fresh start & LBM #2: 21/12/2017 : DFD: 02.02.2024
    Debt at 21/12/2017: £46,506.94
    Status at 12/05/2019: £29,623.32 | FD Loan: £6,076.68/£35,700.00 | O% finance: £3191.80/£3191.80
  • mrcol1000
    nsl101 wrote: »
    Can I ask please what service do you use instead of the post office. I have a drop and go card and find more often that not a modern day post office wont accept it as there not a full post office, so the drop and go system actually defeats the object as i'm having to specifically go to a drop and go post office.

The Royal Mail delivery office across the road from me will let me post things there but only if its not international which is a pain. The original reason for getting the drop and go was to allow me to drop off on the way into the office... but that idea is a non starter due to the wrong information on the website about what services are offered by the local convenience store pretending to be a post office, and i am now tired of the post office and their policy of making my life harder to post things...

Id like to explore other options ... :-)

Anything that can go in a post box and is low value (including international) we buy postage online through Royal Mail's Click and Drop service. Everything else goes by My Hermes. Rare occasion anyone specifically asks for Royal Mail we just go to the Post Office.

If your items are too big to go in the post box and print your own postage then they should accept them at the convenience store post office. .
  • eaglesrjh
    eaglesrjh Posts: 376 Forumite
    I've used drop and go and I think it really depends on your post office.

Not sure if its still the case but drop and go was post office specific.

I'm lucky and my local post office is brilliant.

I fill in the manifest, put all my packages in a bag, dont have to queue at all, i just go to the parcel window, catch the cashiers eye and leave the bag there, they take them in and deal with them when they have a chance.

they always ensure it's done before last posting unless i was very late with the drop off.

Can top up the account online now too.

Biggest problem nowadays though is if you need tracking you wont get the tracking number until you next go to the post office and collect your completed sheet and receipts, not very good for ebay if you need the tracking number early.

overall drop and go has been great for me, but i can see its success would be post office dependent.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2018 at 2:13PM
    eaglesrjh wrote: »
    I've used drop and go and I think it really depends on your post office.

Not sure if its still the case but drop and go was post office specific.

I'm lucky and my local post office is brilliant.

I fill in the manifest, put all my packages in a bag, dont have to queue at all, i just go to the parcel window, catch the cashiers eye and leave the bag there, they take them in and deal with them when they have a chance.

they always ensure it's done before last posting unless i was very late with the drop off.

Can top up the account online now too.

Biggest problem nowadays though is if you need tracking you wont get the tracking number until you next go to the post office and collect your completed sheet and receipts, not very good for ebay if you need the tracking number early.

overall drop and go has been great for me, but i can see its success would be post office dependent.

Im out of touch on posting,however cant you order a roll of barcoded labels in advance from RM?
  • mrcol1000
    custardy wrote: »
    Im out of touich on posting,however cant you order a roll of barcoded labels in advance from RM?

You can for free. It says only business addresses but they don't ask for proof and happily deliver to my residential address.

https://www.royalmail.com/business/services/order-mail-supplies-online

Or you can be duped into paying for them. Plenty of people selling them openly on Ebay.
  • nsl101
    nsl101 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    thanks for the advice mrcol1000.
    Fresh start & LBM #2: 21/12/2017 : DFD: 02.02.2024
    Debt at 21/12/2017: £46,506.94
    Status at 12/05/2019: £29,623.32 | FD Loan: £6,076.68/£35,700.00 | O% finance: £3191.80/£3191.80
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I used to regularly get asked to sign up too. I do now process all my postage through eBay itself and my local P/O lets me use the drop and go counter to leave my parcels though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure