Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question

Options

Comments

• DrowninginDebt
    Options
    Hi Kirsty (Step Change), many thanks for your reply regarding my spent IVA - excellent advice! Very grateful for your help. Cheers!
    Rescued by MSE! Profile name out of date as, thankfully, with lots of help from this site, have cleared my debts! Many thanks to MSE and good luck to all !!:dance:
  • eggyf7
    eggyf7 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hi im currently in the process of being made bankrupt(MAP) with StepChange charity in Scotland but i have a question re my mobile phone contract.
    I am paying £65 a month and have 14months left of my contract with an early termination fee of £540 - can this be included in creditors? When my advisor asked for an ingoings/outgoings breakdown i listed £65 a month for phone but nothing was discussed further about my phone. i would prefer a PAYG sim
    Also stupidly never included my PayPal credit debt of £750 as i thought it would effect my use of Paypal purchases using a bank card could this be added?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

You could also try Charis grants or have a look into energy/water companies you use or have used before. I can see you already mentioned Britsh Gas.

You can even check current or previous employers, for example some employers have support or trust funds set up for things like bankruptcy fees.

Best of luck
    Rachael
    worried789 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, I have had a look on turn2us website but can’t seem to find any charities that offer help !!!128542;

Kind regards
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for posting.

Yes these types of debts can be included. If you decide to end the contract and go with a pay as you go option, the £540 is left over and this is a debt that can be included.

I’d suggest contacting the department helping you go forward with MAP so this can be discussed further with you. There are limits to the amount of debt for MAP to be successful.

You can find StepChanges contact details here.

Thanks
    Rachael

eggyf7 wrote: »
    Hi im currently in the process of being made bankrupt(MAP) with StepChange charity in Scotland but i have a question re my mobile phone contract.
    I am paying £65 a month and have 14months left of my contract with an early termination fee of £540 - can this be included in creditors? When my advisor asked for an ingoings/outgoings breakdown i listed £65 a month for phone but nothing was discussed further about my phone. i would prefer a PAYG sim
    Also stupidly never included my PayPal credit debt of £750 as i thought it would effect my use of Paypal purchases using a bank card could this be added?
  • DawnMcUK
    Options
    Hello,

I have a complicated issue that I need advice on desperately. A little background: my husband and I declared bankruptcy in 1997, returned the house to the mortgage company, rented elsewhere and were fully discharged in 2001/2. I didn’t realise at the time what was controlling the spending until in 2007, when we had built our status back up, had good jobs and had bought the home we rented, then our only child died suddenly aged 16. We were in a spiral and debt began mounting. I then realised that my mental health was a major trigger for spending. We entered into an Iva which was extended twice when both my husband and I could no longer return to work. My physical health deteriorated quickly and I was registered disabled by 2009. We paid what we could and were released from the Iva in 2012.

Now though, things are back to crisis point. I have been extremely poorly and only receive employment support allowance and DLA (which was at highest rate for care and mobility); which has now been changed to PIP (which awarded me enhanced care but standard mobility - meaning I may lose my car). My husband is my carer and receives Carers allowance. We were managing ok, had a couple of credit cards and catalogues, but paid them ok, until early 2017, mere months after my step brother committed suicide and my step father died from lung cancer in the same month, a charity my husband and I set up in our son’s memory was taken from us (I don’t wish to explain further at this point). My health, both physical and mental plummeted, and my husbands mental health suffered massively too. We began to spend money on more cards and catalogues to fill the void. We had to move to a housing association bungalow in September 2017 after I was really poorly again, as I could no longer manage stairs or the house itself. We would not be able to afford to sell the house in its unloved condition; owing £73000 on the mortgage and similar houses struggling to get up to £75 - 80000 in perfect condition.

We just last week relinquished the house to the mortgage company as we cannot pay that on top of rent in the bungalow. We are still liable for council tax on the house so have received papers filing for the full year to April 2018 (and possibly beyond). We owe for utilities from the house and maxed out our 8 credit cards (approx £10,500) and our 5 catalogues (approx £5,500). We also have a loan with 2yrs left (approx £2,200) and are sick with worry as to what the mortgage company will say we are liable for. I’ve had to stop payments on the cards and catalogues today as I’ve been unable to shop for food for over 4 weeks, and we are so lost. I’m appealing my PIP as if I lose the car we would not be able to get another, meaning I would be practically housebound. I know my spending is directly related to my anxiety and depression, which then becomes worse due to debt worries. I’ve already caused us to enter insolvency solutions twice before, and I’m scared that there is nowhere else to go, or that I will be evicted from the bungalow! Please help!!
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for posting and sharing your personal situation. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been through such difficult circumstances. I can’t imagine what you and your partner have had to deal with but there is definitely help, support and a way forward for you both.

The most important thing is that you’re able to concentrate on your health and that your income is being prioritised for your household bills and your living costs so that you don’t have to worry about losing your property.

I’d suggest speaking to us at StepChange so we can discuss your options with you. I think it’s important that you’re able to explore all the options and that the solutions take into account your full situation so you're able to access the right support.

You can find StepChanges contact details here.

Take care,
    Rachael

DawnMcUK wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a complicated issue that I need advice on desperately. A little background: my husband and I declared bankruptcy in 1997, returned the house to the mortgage company, rented elsewhere and were fully discharged in 2001/2. I didn’t realise at the time what was controlling the spending until in 2007, when we had built our status back up, had good jobs and had bought the home we rented, then our only child died suddenly aged 16. We were in a spiral and debt began mounting. I then realised that my mental health was a major trigger for spending. We entered into an Iva which was extended twice when both my husband and I could no longer return to work. My physical health deteriorated quickly and I was registered disabled by 2009. We paid what we could and were released from the Iva in 2012.

Now though, things are back to crisis point. I have been extremely poorly and only receive employment support allowance and DLA (which was at highest rate for care and mobility); which has now been changed to PIP (which awarded me enhanced care but standard mobility - meaning I may lose my car). My husband is my carer and receives Carers allowance. We were managing ok, had a couple of credit cards and catalogues, but paid them ok, until early 2017, mere months after my step brother committed suicide and my step father died from lung cancer in the same month, a charity my husband and I set up in our son’s memory was taken from us (I don’t wish to explain further at this point). My health, both physical and mental plummeted, and my husbands mental health suffered massively too. We began to spend money on more cards and catalogues to fill the void. We had to move to a housing association bungalow in September 2017 after I was really poorly again, as I could no longer manage stairs or the house itself. We would not be able to afford to sell the house in its unloved condition; owing £73000 on the mortgage and similar houses struggling to get up to £75 - 80000 in perfect condition.

We just last week relinquished the house to the mortgage company as we cannot pay that on top of rent in the bungalow. We are still liable for council tax on the house so have received papers filing for the full year to April 2018 (and possibly beyond). We owe for utilities from the house and maxed out our 8 credit cards (approx £10,500) and our 5 catalogues (approx £5,500). We also have a loan with 2yrs left (approx £2,200) and are sick with worry as to what the mortgage company will say we are liable for. I’ve had to stop payments on the cards and catalogues today as I’ve been unable to shop for food for over 4 weeks, and we are so lost. I’m appealing my PIP as if I lose the car we would not be able to get another, meaning I would be practically housebound. I know my spending is directly related to my anxiety and depression, which then becomes worse due to debt worries. I’ve already caused us to enter insolvency solutions twice before, and I’m scared that there is nowhere else to go, or that I will be evicted from the bungalow! Please help!!
  • twotone10
    Options
    Hello to the Forum (new member).

I fully understand that PPI is classed as an asset if agreement was before going bankrupt. I had a £15,000 loan with the Halifax when I was made redundant and as a result I went bankrupt as I could not make the repayments and was unaware I had the payment protection. (15 years ago). 2 years ago I wrote to the Halifax to see if I had in fact had PPI at the time and I did to the value of £12,000. Obviously this went to the Official Receiver who will send straight back to the Halifax. I feel like the bank did not do their job at the time and basically ruined my life as bankruptcy stays with you forever. Is there nothing you can do if you can prove it as a result of the lender misspelling lead to your bankruptcy in the first place. Many thanks.
  • twotone10
    Options
    Sorry that should have read misselling!!!
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    Options
    twotone10 wrote: »
    Hello to the Forum (new member).

I fully understand that PPI is classed as an asset if agreement was before going bankrupt. I had a £15,000 loan with the Halifax when I was made redundant and as a result I went bankrupt as I could not make the repayments and was unaware I had the payment protection. (15 years ago). 2 years ago I wrote to the Halifax to see if I had in fact had PPI at the time and I did to the value of £12,000. Obviously this went to the Official Receiver who will send straight back to the Halifax. I feel like the bank did not do their job at the time and basically ruined my life as bankruptcy stays with you forever. Is there nothing you can do if you can prove it as a result of the lender misspelling lead to your bankruptcy in the first place. Many thanks.

Hi there

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a tough time going bankrupt. I can understand why you feel the way you do about this, but I'm not sure if anything can now be done or not.

The only suggestion I can make is to make a complaint to Halifax, stating what you're unhappy about, why, and what you want the outcome of the complaint to be. If you're not happy with the outcome of that complaint, you can refer to the Financial Ombudsman to rule on the dispute.

I hope it works out for you.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Kthomas6
    Options
    Hi; I was made bankrupt in August 2017 following a failed IVA. I have been paying £900 per month towards the bankruptcy (IPA) and am voluntarily selling my house to aid this. The problem is that the interest and charges are going up and up and my origional IVA was for £53K and now the debt has reached over £100K. I feel that they are making an example of me and setting me up to loose. I have been completely compliant and admit I have made bad financial decisions in the past, but 'm trying to get back on my feet and feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. Can you help?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback