PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on leaseholder not paying for repairs/maintenance

Hello - I am in need of a bit of advice regarding the owner of a flat in our building who is very bad at contributing for repairs / maintenance.

Bit of background info:
4 flats in a Victorian building - each leasehold
Limited company owns the freehold - each flat owner has a 1/4 share of the company
The leasehold agreement details how costs of repairs/maintenance should be split (e.g. repairs in the communal hallway are split between 3 rather than 4 as one flat has it's own front door)

3 of the 4 flat owners are very good at paying for things as needed, but one is not. They don't outright refuse to pay, but just ignore emails etc. (they also don't live in the building it's rented, and they are overseas quite a lot so can't just knock on the door).

At our last meeting about a year ago we all agreed to put a set amount of money in each month (rather than collect each time something needed paying), but they haven't paid anything in about 8 months.

The other 3 of us are very fed up with it (apparently they have been like this for years), and obviously worried about anything major that might need doing.

Anyone have any advice? Should we threaten legal action?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2017 at 5:40PM
    If you can resolve it amicably that is by far the best way.

If you know when the leaseholder will be in the country next, tea and cake!

DSCF1942.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

But failing that, legal action is the only solution.

Just a thought: my brother has a similar (not identical) problem.

In his case there are 3 flats and the overseas person is the freeholder. Because of the freeholder's complete failure to do anything, my brother arranges insurance, pays the communal electricity etc, and then collects back the cash. The other leaeholder pays up fine. Eventually my brother approached the letting agent employed by the freeholder. The agent liaises with the freeholder over these costs now and repays my brother (probably out of rent received)

The issue is not really that the overseas resident wants to avoid payment etc, just that he does not understand. Of course, this does not resolve the fact that my brother, a leaseholder, is doing the freeholder's job, but at least bills are being paid and costs shared out.

Try talking to the letting agent.

Leaseadvice may help too.
  • Thanks G_M! I agree an amicable solution would definitely be best if it's possible. I'm fairly new to the building (under 2 years), but I've heard from the others they've been like this for 10+ years.

Another thing I'm not sure about is how it works in terms of deciding / agreeing to do any work? For example if 3 of the 4 of us decide we should paint the house does majority rule, or does it require unanimous agreement?
  • I would read your Lease to have an understanding of what works are required and how each party is required to contribute.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Pepper22 wrote: »
    Another thing I'm not sure about is how it works in terms of deciding / agreeing to do any work? For example if 3 of the 4 of us decide we should paint the house does majority rule, or does it require unanimous agreement?

As BBH says, the leases will specify what the freeholders are responsible for doing (e.g. painting the house) and, therefore, what can be charged to each leaseholder.

There's quite a bit of legislation in this area (designed to stop freeholders ripping off leaseholders).

For example
    • You have to present service charge bills within a timescale
    • They must include prescribed information
    • If the bill for each leaseholder is over £250, you have to do a section 20 consultation first

... and if you don't follow the rules, the leaseholder doesn't have to pay you.

But... if all the leaseholders are co-operative and just agree to pay their share, you don't have to go through any of the legal stuff above.

See: https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/service-charges-other-issues/
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Provided the leases specify what maintenance the freeholder is responsible for, and what costs the leaseholders are liable for, then if 3 of the 4 joint freeholders decide to do X, and follow the requisite procedures, then each leaseholder can be required to contribute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure