The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    There are hills on my route but I had only done a couple of runs with elements of sprint/jog/sprint and then I got injured. This sort of technique advice is why I am looking to go along to the local running club - hopefully tomorrow.

Clubs are great for things like that. We do a club run on a Wed that i use more as a social event. However, we do speed training / technique on a Monday where being in a group of people allows you to push hard on intervals and hills.

For instance last night we did 8 x 2 mins intervals with 1 min recovery. I ran each one at the same pace, whereas if I try it on my own my pace drops off over the intervals because I don't have people pushing me on.

Its also nice having the coach know you and your targets.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    I find that my club runs are a tempo run for me. Usually whatever we do is at a pace that is faster than I usually run when I'm on my own so it's been really good at pushing me out of my comfort zone
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am hoping to give the local one a try tomorrow but have a poorly DD at home at the moment. Will see if she's better tomorrow
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    mrsp1987 wrote: »
    I find that my club runs are a tempo run for me. Usually whatever we do is at a pace that is faster than I usually run when I'm on my own so it's been really good at pushing me out of my comfort zone

We have different paces and distances at ours. Last week I joined a slower group and ran a slow recovery run (About 8:30/mile) tomorrow I will be doing it more as a tempo run, around 7:00/mile. Nice thing with clubs, options.
  • How did you get on?

Finished in one piece although 2 mins off a PB.. Missed out on the medals as I was so slow; they'd underestimated the number of runners. As way of recompense, they've offered me a free place in next year's, so I'm down for next year already :rotfl:
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • indesisiv
    Finished in one piece although 2 mins off a PB.. Missed out on the medals as I was so slow; they'd underestimated the number of runners. As way of recompense, they've offered me a free place in next year's, so I'm down for next year already :rotfl:

Well done on finishing and bonus on the free entry for next year.
  • indesisiv
    Tough run today in a 40 mph wind! Next time i go and do that run it is going to be on a still day! 20 miles into a headwind = knackered!
  • MallyGirl
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    DH decided to come for a run with me which was good as he is faster/stronger so I had to up my normal pace a bit. We did 4.5 miles (7.1km) in 52 minutes giving me an 11:30 mile pace which is a whole min per mile faster than the previous run. I will try and go again this week. I didn't make run club due to poorly DD and it may not be worth it now as it is looking like I might be having eye surgery soon. I will keep on going on my own till everything is sorted.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    DH decided to come for a run with me which was good as he is faster/stronger so I had to up my normal pace a bit. We did 4.5 miles (7.1km) in 52 minutes giving me an 11:30 mile pace which is a whole min per mile faster than the previous run. I will try and go again this week. I didn't make run club due to poorly DD and it may not be worth it now as it is looking like I might be having eye surgery soon. I will keep on going on my own till everything is sorted.

Was that the Reading half?

Well done on upping your pace - I run with a faster friend and she does make me push myself when I am in the mood (else she just goes off and waits for me to finish)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MallyGirl
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure