Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Anouchka
    Anouchka Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    I swapped to EDF a while back now. The swap went smoothly. I like their web site and submit monthly readings online. I pay by direct debit and am happy that I am paying the right amount to cover my usage. No complaints so far ...
    Make £10 per day in May challenge: £310/123.92
  • yat360
    yat360 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Dreadful company. I've just switched to Cooperative Energy. I was with EDF for a year and a half but got really fed up with inconsistent direct debit withdrawals. The agreement/plan was £140 per month but some times they would take the odd £60 in the middle of the months and the monthly payment on the agreed payment date varied anywhere up to £270 a month and never the agreed figure. I coudn't plan at all. So much for the DD guarantee (I never received any notice of any change to the DD amount and every single month was a different amount! The final straw was the March payment they took of £270. Awful, awful, awful. I'll never go back!
  • Arachne_2
    Arachne_2 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    Been with EDF for several years (switched from British Gas), and they've actually been pretty good to deal with.

The switch from BG went smoothly, no messed up bills or anything like that.

Only hiccup was when they wrote trying to up my gas DD to £36 from £16 a month awhile back - but that was sorted with a few choice words on the phone ;), and we settled at £20.

All in all, been treated pretty well, which is why I've not switched since.
  • bye_bye_band_G
    Options
    I have been with EDF for a few years, since they took over my account which was with Sainsburys energy. I think they are quite good actually. They have a freephone 0800 customer services phone number, so no costs to calling them, and yes, they do try to up the DD every time, probably more than they should BUT I ring them up every time and tell them my Maths and they always agree to put it down, it's not a problem. I've never had a rep insist they must keep it at what they said it would change to in the bill yet. I always wonder if people who moan about huge changes to their DD have actually tried TALKING to their energy company.
  • yat360
    yat360 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with EDF for a few years, since they took over my account which was with Sainsburys energy. I think they are quite good actually. They have a freephone 0800 customer services phone number, so no costs to calling them, and yes, they do try to up the DD every time, probably more than they should BUT I ring them up every time and tell them my Maths and they always agree to put it down, it's not a problem. I've never had a rep insist they must keep it at what they said it would change to in the bill yet. I always wonder if people who moan about huge changes to their DD have actually tried TALKING to their energy company.

Actually, yes I did.....but you miss the point that you should not have to keep ringing them because they sneakily increase (and significantly) the monthly DD. Inconsistent DD payments are horrendous to have to deal with. I couldn't plan. In 18 months I never paid the same monthly DD payment ever and every single payment, apart from the first, was higher than the agreed plan.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Just joined the Cheap Energy Club and was about to take on EDFs Blue + Price Promise to Feb 2015 until I saw that they were automatically going to set my DD at £142.16 per month. How can that be when I'm only pay £69 at the moment and they've told me I'll be saving £135/year? After reading the problems people are having with their DD setup I'll not bother!:sad:

EDF set their initial monthly payments as 1/12th of the calculated cost of the annual consumption you advise them of.

If that comes to £142.16 per month, and is £135 per year cheaper than your current supplier, then it's presumably costing you £1840.32 p.a. with your current supplier.
    If you are only paying £69 per month (and assuming no accrued credit) then that means you would only pay £828 of this after a year ... so expect a steep rise soon in your monthly payments on your reassuringly expensive tariff ;)

BTW, I've never known EDF to set their monthly payments in anything other than whole pounds per month. ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2013 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Ecodave wrote: »
    ...The direct debits do seem to fluctuate more than you might expect, would be interested to know the formula they use to calculate the dd's if anyone knows it?

It beats me too. I recently got my 6 monthly review and couldn't really understand how they got the figures they did.
    Confident I am on target to pay my annual cost by 12 monthly payments, I called them to ask them to revert to the originally agreed payments and they immediately agreed, no questions asked, no explanations requested. :)

(Admitedly they were planning on taking less per month overall by DD, but I felt this would lead to a shortfall. Not sure if they would have been so willing to accept the revised monthly payment if I wanted to reduce it, rather than increase it, back to it's original level. It's further complicated because they think I'm overpaying one fuel and underpaying the other ... but they only take one combined monthly DD - I'll let them sort out how to apportion the costs)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ecodave wrote: »
    Have been with Edf for a couple of years now, and my only real issue was being unable to access my online account for the first six months. The direct debits do seem to fluctuate more than you might expect, would be interested to know the formula they use to calculate the dd's if anyone knows it?

...if you read back thru EDF threads for the past 18 months+ you will find that NOBODY has really got to the bottom of how the EDF "supercomputer" calculates future d/ds -as on almost every occasion the EDF staff agree readily to a reduction/adjustment as requested by the customer!!
    Some of us believe that either a) the EDF computer is a Sinclair ZX81 with some missing keys
    OR b) the DDs are calculated by a roomful of monkeys typing randomly on a set of broken keyboards:rotfl:
  • murph_avfc
    murph_avfc Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Well for me the story gets even more entertaining.

Here's how it was left:
    Was told it was too high an amount for CS rep to do, so a manager would auth and I would get a phonecall, 3-5 working days.

Here I am a week later, being told it can take up to 10 working days, and the manager was "a bit busy at the moment" and had I tried my bank? So I have, and they're getting me the money back hopefully by 6pm tonight so I can actually pay my rent!

Well, the bank were true to their word and the money was back, allowing me to pay my rent.

Between then and now, EDF have tried to take a further £63! I asked using their online help why, apparently my DD was supposed to start April 1st (strange, I had agreed May 1st!)

Now for the even more entertaining news - EDF did indeed refund, to an OLD (but active as it has an overdraft I'm paying off) bank account. Meaning that part of their refund has disappeared into an overdraft.

I haven't found the strength to speak to them again about it, needless to say though having admitted the depression / mental health issues from the first attempt to set up a payment plan, I won't be allowing them to get off lightly.

Pathetic, as soon as it's sorted I'm switching.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I changed to EDF Blue + price promise last summer. It went without a problem. My initial DD for gas and leccy was £69 but that was based on my (too low) given number of consumption. It was since then put up to £106 over the winter which was just right and I'm now breaking even and even overpaying slightly this month. By unit price it is still cheaper than any other offer for our house and hopefully as we had reduced consumption from now (heating off, less lighting etc) the DD will reduce soon (or I'll ask for it). I also give them meter reading every month online.

No problems what so ever
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback