Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• geordiepaul2001
    Options
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the £80 cashback through TopCashBack and the £100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the £80 cashback through TopCashBack and the £100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul

The £100 Mastercard is a uSwitch exclusive isn't it? If so, you won't be able to get both as you'll need to go via uSwitch to get that, or TCB to get the cashback.
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

TIA

Paul

If you clicked through TCB and the mastercard £100 is showing on the website of EE still you will get both. I haven't looked at this specific deal but in the past I have done similar via Quidco and got both the Quidco Cashback and the Mastercard prepaid.
  • ewokuk
    ewokuk Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure what section to post this in as it is more contract related than anything else. I am with Virgin, my 12 month contract ends on 31st July. We are moving to NowTV. Virgin have said the broadband and tv will be set to disconnect on 5th august as I have to give 30 days notice.

Where do I stand on this contractually? If I am out of contract on 31st July, they surely cannot force me to give 30 days notice. I don't see that as a reasonable period to disconnect someone, I see it as a scam to squeeze more money out of people. The large discounts I currently have will expire on 31st July as well, so for 5 days I will probably end up paying another £10.

I wonder whether I can insist they disconnect it on 31st July.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ewokuk
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined

Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ewokuk wrote: »
    Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?

You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.
  • ewokuk
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.

Hmmm ok 5th Aug it is then :).
  • solvent_saver
    Options
    On the online chat, I was quoted £25.50 per month, plus £30 installation to upgrade my TalkTalk to fibre. But a phone call secured £22.50 and no installation costs (£60 cancelled out by £60 credit) and no extra cost for router. Success.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    MSE claims in the latest newsletter that the latest Sky deal is the best for 16 months.

Whilst that is true, that simply reflects the poor competition in the Broadband market which IMO are a result of the CMA allowing companies to merge.

Prior to the mergers Sky used to offer 3 cheap deals a year, one at around £65 and two at around £99, they also had a deal for £5.35 for the year including line rental and router.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband

So why is this deal rubbish?
    • Because "You must not have EVER registered an account with Sky or Sky Broadband" previously it was in the last year and it only applied to Broadband.
    • The final deal price is not exactly cheap, £100 per annum was previously offered twice a year, just because MSE no longer gets us the best deals (for 16 months) does not mean this is good value.
    • The actual monthly price is ABOVE AVERAGE, it costs £20 a month and reverts to a rip off £30 thereafter, you can get fibre for around £20 a month, BUT this is basic broadband "with average speeds of 11Mb"
    • This deal is one of those AWFUL prepaid credit card and voucher schemes, you have only to look at these forums to see how many people have NOT BEEN PAID, so while you are promised "Get a £50 prepaid Mastercard & £100 M&S voucher" There is a chance you will not get it and there is not even a reminder. EVEN IF IT PAYS YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT 90 DAYS!!
    • The deal quotes a SETUP price of £9.95 AND it says "If you don't have a line (or for those with a cable one or, [FONT=&quot]IN A FEW OTHER CASES[/FONT]), it's £20, you'll be told before you commit." well I have recommended Sky deals in the past and set them up for people. These have been in standard BT line premises, with previous broadband from Plusnet and BT, they were charged £30.
    • Sky has hiked the cost of the Router by over 65% from £6 to £9.95, previously they have even given it free, but the real smack in the teeth is that it is a 2 port crappy router. Sky will not provide you with the login credentials so you can't use your own router without hacking the router (beyond most people's capability). I think the router is included in the setup fee here but it is the same naff router.
    As if this was not enough, by taking up this deal you have to be prepared to sell your data soul to Broadband Genie to use and abuse for marketing purposes.

It is a great shame that MSE is no longer THE place for the best broadband deals, it is tedious and time consuming to compare all the sites and I do not like the new broadband price compare thing, I find the uSwitch one better, not that they have any better deals.

It seems that this thread has the best deals but they require things like TopCashBack combined with other deals.

Until Thu 26 July, Sky newbies can apply via this Sky link* for this deal ; it's a 12mth contract for unlimited broadband and line rental; with average speeds of 11Mb.
    It's available to 90% of the UK. It depends on your postcode ; you're told when applying (or use our new tool Broadband Unbundled). which only shows deals available in your postcode). though you can't get it if you've had Sky b'band, line or TV in the last 12mths.
    1. Unlimited broadband and line rent's £20/mth for 12 months. It'll rise to £30/mth if you stay. No calls included ; see Sky call costs (a touch more than BT).
    2. £9.95 set-up. There's also a £5 card verification fee, refunded on your first bill.
    3. Get a £50 prepaid Mastercard & £100 M&S voucher but you MUST claim them. Annoyingly Sky won't remind you so diarise to use this Mastercard claim link within 90 days of the service being activated. It should arrive within 30 days. Enter your email address on the Broadband Genie page before signing up and you'll be sent your M&S voucher within 90 days of the service being activated.
    - Cost analysis: You'll pay £249.95 for the 12mth contract before calls or new line costs, equiv to £20.83/mth. But if you claim and use the Mastercard and M&S voucher it's £99.95, equivalent to £8.33/mth.
    Anything else?
    - Could Sky hike prices? Sadly, telecoms firms often do, but you may be able to leave penalty-free if it raised phone prices.
    - Need a new line? If you don't have a line (or for those with a cable one or, in a few other cases), it's £20 ; you'll be told before you commit.

Offer T&Cs:

1. New Sky Broadband customers only, i.e. You must not have EVER registered an account with Sky or Sky Broadband in order to qualify for this Gift Card.

2. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other cashback or voucher code promotion from Broadband Genie

3. Your claim will not be valid if you click on any other links or websites after https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk before making your online purchase at Sky Broadband.

4. The transaction must have taken place online during the promotion period (13/07/2018 ; 26/07/2018). Transactions completed over the phone will be considered invalid and will not qualify for a reward

5. Cancelling or returning any items made in your online purchase will deem the claim invalid and you will not receive the M&S Giftcard.

6. Only one M&S Giftcard reward is available per valid transaction and/or household.

7. The promotion runs from 13/07/2018 - 26/07/2018

8. For any questions contact [EMAIL="rewards@broadbandgenie.co.uk"]rewards@broadbandgenie.co.uk[/EMAIL]

9. Offer is only available on standalone Sky Broadband products including Sky Unlimited Broadband, Sky Fibre Broadband and Sky Fibre Max Broadband. This is not valid with Broadband & TV or TV only purchases

You will be sent an email including your voucher from Broadband Genie once your sale has been confirmed by the provider. This can take up to 90 days.

Please check the redemption instructions and terms and conditions of your M&S Giftcard when you receive it.

By entering your details you are confirming that you are happy to receive information from Broadband Genie regarding your purchase

You must enter a valid email address to qualify. Your gift card will be sent via email once your sale has been confirmed by Sky Broadband. If you navigate away from the page during the sale process, we may not be able to track your sale and you will not qualify for your gift card.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback