Using 'foils' for home hair highlights

Options
I used to use a cap and a highlighting kit from Boots to do my hair. The cap is really painful now, and I know that in a hairdressing salon 'foils' are used instead.

Has anyone done this at home themselves? Is it easy? And where did you buy the foils?

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I have had foils done in a salon - cant imagine this would be easy to achieve on yourself. They take small sections and then weave through and lift part on top of the foil before painting on the dye/bleach etc, and then repeating. A professional took an hour to do my head - cant imagine trying myself.
    Sorry not more helpful/
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you have a Sallys shop near you they sell foils, plus all the other gear. I think it would be difficult to do on yourself but I do my daughter's holiday colours with foils - maybe find a friend to help.
    I used to do the cap and hook thing myself when I was an impoverished student - foils would be a lot harder and would involve lots of mirrors!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to do a friend's hair and used normal tin fold cut up. I am not a hairdresser but it was fine. Couldn't see how you can do it on your own?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't imagine doing it myself, as I can't even see the foils at the back, so it would be very difficult to balance the colours.

My hairdresser only charges £28-£35 (depending on how she feels ?) for a cut, foils and blow dry, so not worth the effort/risk of diy.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Teddysmum, that is an absolute bargain.

Where I live, a cut&blow alone is £30++ and if you go for highlights the cost is nearer £90.(I'm in the south-east btw).
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same for me Beenie - I think the c&b would be more but I never go for that. They charged £35 to 'dip dye' my daughter's hair pink last year and it only lasted a couple of weeks so that is why I taught myself to do it.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »

Where I live, a cut&blow alone is £30++ and if you go for highlights the cost is nearer £90.(I'm in the south-east btw).

beanie it would be worth a drive further north - I pay £15 for wash cut and blow dry
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »

I'm in Staffordshire and after mentioning being dissatisfied with a line of hairdressers was recommended this salon by a yoga group member.

The price started at £25 about 7 years ago then crept up to over £30,but dropped again the other week to £28.

There are only two hairdressers, the owner and an employee in her thirties. It's the latter who does my hair, then asks the owner how much. She always has to think, then comes up with a price.

They are cheap, compared to other locals, but the penalty for low costs is a long wait, as they are so popular (but will fit you in ,if you need to have an urgent makeover.)
  • StaffieTerrier
    Options
    I use a mobile hairdresser. She charges £30 for a full head of foils (I have 2 colours), plus £10 for a cut and blowdry. She works in a salon one day a week. I know if I go to the salon the same thing would cost me £120. While she's at my house, waiting for my colour to take, she cuts my partner's hair for £5. It's worth asking around to see if anyone can recommend a mobile hairdresser.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    I use a mobile hairdresser. She charges £30 for a full head of foils (I have 2 colours), plus £10 for a cut and blowdry. She works in a salon one day a week. I know if I go to the salon the same thing would cost me £120. While she's at my house, waiting for my colour to take, she cuts my partner's hair for £5. It's worth asking around to see if anyone can recommend a mobile hairdresser.

I would hate having my hair backwashed in a normal sink. I wash my own hair facing forwards ,but can avoid water trickling across my face , but the mobile hairdresser I used (in her home though) caused a lot of trickles across my face ,soaking my towel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure