Use ISA for pension pot??

Hello,

I have two cash ISAs, total 30k.

Would it be better financially to use these to bump up our pension?

Or, as we rent, would it be better to use some of this as a deposit - but we're both over 50..? (Houses in London are not cheap so probably not viable with our salaries.)

I just stuck the money into ISAs because I don't know what to do with it for the best!

Thanks!

Effy;

Comments

• FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello,

I have two cash ISAs, total 30k.

Would it be better financially to use these to bump up our pension?

Or, as we rent, would it be better to use some of this as a deposit - but we're both over 50..? (Houses in London are not cheap so probably not viable with our salaries.)

I just stuck the money into ISAs because I don't know what to do with it for the best!

Thanks!

Effy;

What pension provision do you currently have?
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you plan to retire in London?

Mortgages are available to people over 50. But this may not be a good time to buy in London. The newspapers assure me that house prices are falling in parts of London. In that case keep your money as cash (within ISAs if you prefer) and wait to see what happens, perhaps?

Usually you have a pretty free hand about when you contribute money into pensions; usually there's no rush. But you've not told us enough to let us go much further. If investment assets start falling in value that might be another good reason to stay in cash for the time being. I'm certainly not rushing to invest at the moment.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Hi, we won't be able to afford to retire in London - most likely have to move to Wales or somewhere else cheap.

What info do I need to provide to illustrate our situation more fully?

I've got two frozen work pensions, a private one (frozen) and current workplace pension.

I really don't have a clue about pensions.. sorry, so need help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure