Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Same as a few of you in here I got the bare minimum from BT to stay. £30.49 a month for Infinity 2 (I think - said I wasn't bothered about that) and they wanted £7.50 for BT sport but that's not HD.

Apparently free BT sport is for new customers only! So I'll be off thanks for nothing BT...
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    mac.d wrote: »
    You need to phone them up and say you are thinking of leaving because of the price increase and ask them what they can do for you. It appears that if you do agree a new deal with them, and question the upcoming price rise, they will likely say your price won't go up in January. I don't think they offer to freeze prices for the length of your minimum term contract, just that they won't put your price up in January.

Edit: I've just renewed as they offered me the same deal I had last year, and got a deal on my mobile contract with them. Future price rises will affect the price, but when they happen you can just phone them again to renegotiate.

I telephoned at the weekend to ask if my parents can leave their contract without charge because of their price increase . He said yes but only within 39 days of receiving the email regarding the increase.
    I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please >

NO as the account has not been informed of any increase .
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    <I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please >

NO as the account has not been informed of any increase .

Thanks for the swift reply. Will they be informed at some point so I can then make an informed choice to stay or leave?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 November 2017 at 1:59PM
    They will be informed. Just be aware, it can be sent either by email or a letter, and everyone with BT will get one before the end of December. Make sure you check the email address that BT have on your parents account, just in case they did get an email and its been marked as spam or something. If you don't receive anything by the end of the year, I'd contact them again and say they must inform you and you haven't received anything but you are aware the prices are going up because it states it on their website so you want to cancel.

BT - Price changes 7 January 2018
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Just attempted a haggle with BT after receiving my notice of price rises yesterday. I currently have BT infinity 2 £34.49, Entertainment Max £11.00 and weekend calls £3.00. Total £48.49/month. The best they could do was match my existing deal less £3.50/month for free BT Sport for 12 months on Entertainment Plus. This was not good enough compared to other deals that are around at the moment so I have cancelled and gone to Talk Talk.
    There was not much haggling involved because, with BT's current pricing structure (because of the rising cost to them to supply BT Sport), I think he could tell that he could get nowhere near £36/month. This is for Fastest Broadband, TV plus with entertainment, kids channels and £120 cash back via TCB. This deal suits my family's needs perfectly.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • JJ_Egan
    suejb2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the swift reply. Will they be informed at some point so I can then make an informed choice to stay or leave?

It might be on their BT account page .
  • After being on FTTC Infinity 2 for a few years along with Youview TV and never having received a new hub 5 or smarthub (hub 6) or youview box upon recontracting I decided that I wasn't happy with the latest price increases.
    They wanted to charge me for Sports recently so I dropped that and had knocked a little off my infinity 2 price taking it to £47.50 per month and £2.50 off of my TV taking it to £7.50 which gave me a total of over £58 with evening and weekend calls.
    I phoned to see if I could get any sort of price drop considering everyone on the cheaper infinity 1 is being upgraded to infinity 2 speeds for free so I pay for infinity 2 for some extra cloud space which I have no use for.

After mentioning that Talktalk were doing the same infinity 2 package for £27.50 and saying I don't expect them to match it but I was unhappy paying for infinity 2 when people paying less for infinity 1 were getting the same speeds I hoped they could drop me to infinity 1 for a bit of a price drop.
    They said it would cost me £1.50 more to drop to infinity 1, lol. After another 20 minutes or so of back and forth with them offering to drop my TV and save me £7.50 while holding the current prices for the rest I said I would have to leave and was then put through to retentions.
    The acrington retentions office gave me short shrift after I explained my position from scratch yet again saying I was on the best deal and they couldn't budge on prices at all. Needless to say I asked to leave early without penalty due to the price increase and he put it through.
    I then completed the TalkTalk sign up for £27.50 for 76mb fttc plus £7.50 for anytime calls. I'm just happy I hadn't paid the extortionate sum for FTTP and had been stuck with BT.

After all the money BT saved by not giving me new hubs etc, over the years or prepaid debit cards from me leaving and returning I'd have thought they would have dropped my price a little and still made a lot more from me than their customers being charged current prices.
  • I have been with BT for 30 years and am now paying £53 for 76MB Broadband + TV Essentials. It seems that every so often I get offered a free upgrade and then in my next contract renewal I have to pay the full price for that bundle (was getting 52MB and was then upgraded for free to 76M). My current contract ends June 2018. I received the email saying my bundled would increase by £2.50 pm in Jan unless I signed up to another 18 mth contract.
    So I called BT to see if they would give me a cheaper deal. I was told that they could not offer me anything less and if I left BT I would have to pay a termination fee. Asking why I couldn't get their advertised £33.83 package or at least something similar they said its only for new customers. I was then advised that because of this call, I now had 30 days to either accept their terms or leave and pay the termination fee - I felt threatened.

Last year I had a stroke and this year I lost my job (although I don't claim benefits). Despite telling the BT lady this, that I needed to reduce my costs, she continued to insist I could not renegotiate my bundle. Apart from leaving BT I don't know what to do next.
  • JJ_Egan
    You are with BT and have had the email so you can leave penalty free within 30 days of the email . That is the OFCOM rule and BT know the rule .
    Did you give notice ?? .If so they often come back with a better offer a few weeks down the line . Or just initiate a switch to a cheaper supplier .

If BT have threatened you go to the police .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback