Anyone had dealings withg Business Stream / Southern Water

Options
For years we have been supplied by Southern Water without problem, the meter was read and the bills paid, circa £88 every 6 months.

Last year we got a letter saying we would now be swapped over to Business Stream, when I queried that we didn't own or run a business they said it was because they service a mobile home and stables and in their books anything non traditional is a business category. So it seems 2 rescue ponies now constitutes a business.

Anyway a DDR was taken last September from a read meter reading we paid the £87 . Nothing since. I rang up to be told a meter reading was taken in Feb of this year but they couldn't understand why the DDR hadn't been collected. So they've just collected £336 owed from February and we will be due another bill in September. Assuming the bill is the same as the usage hasn't changed we will pay another 6 months at £336 so our annual water bill have gone from £160 a year to £600+ just by being taken over by this Business Stream people.

We are paying £1.31 per unit now ? does this seem right ?

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    why not switch to another provider you may get a better rate
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am a bit naïve in this though in that I thought you had to have water from a local supplier ? But yes if its an option I will look to move, thankyou.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why didn't you challenge the transfer from domestic billing to business, if you believe it is wrong? That is the reason for the huge increase-not the switch of supplier.
    Domestic customers in England cannot change suppliers.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi macman

I did ask why and said I wasn't happy with the decision but was fobbed off about with the answer of the property not meeting their normal bricks and mortar status. In hindsight I should have persevered but didn't realise there would be such a difference price wise so didn't think it would be a major issue.

I will try again
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mobile home generally means something with wheels on, such as a caravan - is this the case?

Also, just because you have a few sheds does not mean you are running a business.

Complain and don't stand for being fobbed off - it's your money they are taking.

Better still, complain in writing, not by phone and don't be afraid to escalate to the Ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure