WC flush is useless & was using a lot more water.

Options
Hi, hope i am in the right area. We had 3 new loo's in our bungalow fitted with water saving tanks with a 6lt flush & a quick 3lt flush. All of us found them just about totally useless. For a quick tinkle they are fine, but for a NO:2 we would 85% of the time have to flush twice, so we end up using 12lt's.
After getting fed up with this, i manage to find some 9lt tanks & thank goodness we fitted concealed systems as they was a quick change.
Is anyone else having problems with the new water saving loo's, if so, who thought of this stupid idea.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    collectors wrote: »
    Hi, hope i am in the right area. We had 3 new loo's in our bungalow fitted with water saving tanks with a 6lt flush & a quick 3lt flush. All of us found them just about totally useless. For a quick tinkle they are fine, but for a NO:2 we would 85% of the time have to flush twice, so we end up using 12lt's.
    After getting fed up with this, i manage to find some 9lt tanks & thank goodness we fitted concealed systems as they was a quick change.
    Is anyone else having problems with the new water saving loo's, if so, who thought of this stupid idea.

Yup. Ditto. Also, I have noticed that even if the pan looks clean after one flush, the water still stinks. You only notice this if you go back later without having opened the window.

I am still looking for an old toilet suite to go in my downstairs loo. I suspect the 5 litre loos which my house has are an EU regulation.
  • ed1178
    ed1178 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    It's crazy that the EU insisted on the reduced volume flushes, but insisted the UK permitted "modern" valve type flushes that rely on a seated valve at the bottom of the cistern rather than a good old fashioned syphon. The newer valve types nearly always begin to leak over time, wasting millions of litres of water across the country every day. The problem will only get worse as existing toilets age in their millions.

If you're unsure sure what I mean, take a look at your loo now. If you have a modern cistern with a push button flush, there may well be a small trickle of water running down the back of the pan into the bowl. for those on a meter it's worth checking regularly. For those not on a meter, you should check anyway out of environmental responsibility!
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too have a history of problems with Dual Flush loos.
    The first leaked water and only after I'd taken it out and re-assembled it on the drive, did I find it had an invisible crack on the back of the tank

The second bought quickly, had an overlong foul waste spigot which meant the loo tank could not be fixed to the wall without custom made spacers, and then began the dreaded 'Overflow into the Pan' after only 12 weeks use

With burned fingers I researched a bit before buying another, and bought one from Armitage Shanks - Probably still made China, but at least with a UK base and Customer Service centre - This works well, so well in fact that the 'Short Flush' button will deal with the solids - It's not just a matter of water of water down the pan, it's all down to the design of the pan itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure