Quit or get fired?

2»

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JessyRM wrote: »
    Have you been given a start date for this new role...ASAP might actually not be as soon as you think?

As others have said, speak to your manager. Tell them you are leaving and although you understand there is 4 weeks notice period you would like to leave ASAP as the new employer cannot wait. Getting yourself fired will take longer than 4 weeks unless you do something deemed as gross misconduct...which will make getting any job in the future harder.

Do you have annual leave you can use to cover the 4 weeks? then you could start at your new role immediately?

Or based on an earlier comment, in prison....:eek:
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • amal91
    amal91 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Just quit then.

I would hope the "I would just end up punching someone" is in jest, else you have bigger issues to worry about....maybe a spot of anger management....
    If they are going beyond the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, you go down the standard routes in reporting it, to their bosses and/or HR.
    If they dont have that, you have very little to worry about by just walking.
    Haha of course it was just a joke, but as much as I’d love to though, as I’m sure many people have thought about it too. But quitting seems like my best option! :j
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 9:04AM
    The new job have taken up your references and confirmed the job offer? If not, walking out is premature and could leave you with no job.

You might also want to consider the impact just walking might have on your new employers if they find out you left the old one in the lurch. Talk to them
    And find out what is meant by asap. My job was asap but still took 6 weeks because of waiting for the DBS checks to come through.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Just say you got another job in another country.. doubt they do anything about that
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    amal91 wrote: »
    Haha of course it was just a joke, but as much as I’d love to though, as I’m sure many people have thought about it too. But quitting seems like my best option! :j

I have felt frustration, irritation, WTFism, but I can safely say I have never had the urge to commit assault based on differences in the workplace...let alone "love to"....

Speak to them....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • compHunter
    compHunter Posts: 11 Forumite
    Politely explain that you are leaving and would like to leave on 1 weeks notice. Very unlikely they'll do anything but also worth asking if you want to burn those bridges. Will the new company not wait 4 weeks? Thats a standard wait for a hire usually
  • I think the best idea is to hand in your 4 weeks notice and when they ask where you're going just say you're moving to a competitor - it's unlikely they will want you around their business as you could take clients etc with you.

As others have mentioned it's unprofessional to get yourself sacked or to just leave - hand in your notice, your new employer should expect to wait at least 4 weeks for someone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure