Travelling On

Comments

• Well done on the sorting and clearing KC!
    Starting to do a bit more of that here ( one bag in the car for charity shop already and at least *ahem* 3 Easter eggs decluttered in the last week alone! :rotfl: ) just need the sun to show its face so I can feel like it's a proper "spring clean" ;)

Love you are replacing "shoulda" with "want to's" it's s good way to be!

Ella X
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Spring de clutter is great, very theraputic. A couple of years ago i even de cluttered the storage units so Mrs SJ couldn't fill them with yet more plastic rubbish. I tired to adopt a "one in, one out" policy but you can imagine how badly that went!! I will be targeting the boys rooms in the next couple of weeks, and you've inspired me to re-find the floor in DS1's room!

As for your walks. A small bit of advice from me. Don't discount the small walks and their impact. Firstly the opportunity of 30 mins "head space" is valuable (no phone, no music is my trick). Secondly consider it all as a weekly accumulation of time, or distance. The 3 small walks in the week has the same impact as the one big one on a Sunday and will actually serve as preparation for the big one so you may feel less exhausted, or can increase your speed. Calorie counting/Nutrition should be considered in the same way. We have a preference for viewing things as a daily total, or 1 session in isolation, when the biggest impact is when combined over a period of days/weeks.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well done on the sorting and clearing KC!
    Starting to do a bit more of that here ( one bag in the car for charity shop already and at least *ahem* 3 Easter eggs decluttered in the last week alone! :rotfl: ) just need the sun to show its face so I can feel like it's a proper "spring clean" ;)
    I'm doing that sort of declutter as well, a bit :rotfl: not a huge amount of choccie, but enough!
    Love you are replacing "shoulda" with "want to's" it's s good way to be!
    Thanks Ella! It is good, isn't it, and it spreads from one area to another, I think it's called a "virtuous spiral" :) So virtuous, me :rotfl:
    Spring de clutter is great, very theraputic. A couple of years ago i even de cluttered the storage units so Mrs SJ couldn't fill them with yet more plastic rubbish. I tired to adopt a "one in, one out" policy but you can imagine how badly that went!! I will be targeting the boys rooms in the next couple of weeks, and you've inspired me to re-find the floor in DS1's room!
    Absolutely! A lot of this is about integrating the stuff I've inherited from my late mother's house - I know where the "bits" will go now, but there's a couple of pieces I'm not sure about - a solid wood standard lamp, which I adore, I'll have to experiment with that. And a little wicker storage chest, which used to be in her bathroom and wasn't used for anything much ... I love it, and I want it, but placement and what's going to be *in* it are different issues.
    As for your walks. A small bit of advice from me. Don't discount the small walks and their impact. Firstly the opportunity of 30 mins "head space" is valuable (no phone, no music is my trick). Secondly consider it all as a weekly accumulation of time, or distance. The 3 small walks in the week has the same impact as the one big one on a Sunday and will actually serve as preparation for the big one so you may feel less exhausted, or can increase your speed. Calorie counting/Nutrition should be considered in the same way. We have a preference for viewing things as a daily total, or 1 session in isolation, when the biggest impact is when combined over a period of days/weeks.
    Oh, I totally agree. The walk I'm referring to is on the council's programme, chatting about whatever, unable to vary the pace to suit me, at the wrong time for me. It helped me, earlier in the year, when I still felt very unwell, but at the moment, it's not enough of a challenge.

I still walk on my own too, that's essential, and thats the headspace time, and the accumulation time, and my self-directed programme is pretty much exactly as you describe. Which is really useful, thank you! When you're completely self directed in a new area of knowledge, its ever so helpful to get feedback from people who're more in touch with it.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    And today, the big thing is the AGM of the local U3A, 10 minutes walk from my house, hurray. I did go to one meeting last month, but I was too ill to stay, so this one will be my first proper visit. A *lot* of the groups sound really interesting - keeping up my French, learning more Spanish, environmental issues, finance and politics, walking in London, lots more, but I'm going to start with just two - Ancient Civilisations (I'm a history buff, thats just how it is :) ) and one of the four family history groups. Yikes. Should be fascinating, because I'm definitely a jack of all trades, master of none :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Enjoy, if an AGM can ever be enjoyable :rotfl:. You're lucky having such an active group, my nearest one is three hours away :(, Not that I'd have time to fit in any meetings anyway :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    You know its true, Gally :rotfl:

It was interesting in an anthropological sort of way - I really wanted to find the leaders of the two family history groups that are meeting this week. Only one is open, and the leader was there, so that was a victory.

There's always a talk at these sort of events ... and oh dear, I think I've been spoiled by my Egyptology Association, as far as the quality of the speaker is concerned. Hey ho, its really the groups I'm interested in :)
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My friend's mum is active in the U3A and it sounds brilliant:D. Hope you had fun!

Congratulations on all your decluttering :T

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Thanks PP! It's certainly way cheaper than the WI, though as I've never been to the one, and only just started at the other, thats the only point of comparison I have :rotfl:

Craft and materials stashes are *completely* organised, I've even written a list of what's where :rotfl:in the process, I discovered rather a lot of paracetemol lurking in an odd box, leftover from my shoulder op, so now I'm on a quest to organise first aid supplies :o

Such a misty day :eek: I disapprove, in general, but it's warm and the line washing will dry pretty well :rotfl:

YouGov survey done, SB chunnering very well, and lots of Body Shop points turned up unexpectedly yesterday :beer:

Other focus today is genealogy, because the U3A group I sort of joined yesterday is meeting on Friday :)

All's well :) hope everyone has a good day.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,812
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I wish I could get a You Gov or two :rotfl:
    Have a good day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Pops in to say Hi!

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback