PS4 Pro/Xbox one X Upgrade

Ok So I have original PS4 (Black) & XBOX one S (Deep Blue)... (Use 2 Portable Hard Drive's for extra storage)

What are the pros/cons of upgrading...

Should I buy PS4 Pro or Xbox One X

I don't have 4k TV But thinking of getting one soon (I Have 32inch Sony Full HD TV Silver)

PS4 runs fine but is sometimes Laggy/slow (Destiny 2)

Should I not bother upgrading?

Was tempted for PS4 Pro

Comments

• I'll be getting both, probably when they drop in price, I don't see much of a massive boost in performance for me to justify the cost that they are now. I already have an OLED 4k TV.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    xbonex is the better machine spec wise but £100 more. Xbox also has bluray while ps4 does not iirc. So I suppose it depends whether those differences are worth £100 to you or not.

Wait till black friday/cyber monday end of november. If there isn't a deal to tempt you then personally I'd wait till xbonex has 6months + under its belt to make sure there are no "kinks" in the system.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 November 2017 at 2:39PM
    My XB1 S Has 4K Blu Ray/Video (Amazon/Netflix) HDR Gaming (Happy with that)

So is it worth upgrading to xbox X?

My PS4 Is 1st edition got it on release date.

So tempted for PS4 Pro
  • unholyangel
    In that case, in your shoes I'd buy the ps4 pro this month (although I'd still wait for black friday to see if there are any good deals) and then next year maybe the X (which gives it time to possibly drop in price/work out any teething issues).

That being said, I believe there are a few deals around atm giving 3-4 games, 1tb console for £350 and sometimes black friday deals can be a bust (ie giving discounts on refurb/graded consoles but not on new ones).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    xbonex is the better machine spec wise but £100 more. Xbox also has bluray while ps4 does not iirc. So I suppose it depends whether those differences are worth £100 to you or not.

Wait till black friday/cyber monday end of november. If there isn't a deal to tempt you then personally I'd wait till xbonex has 6months + under its belt to make sure there are no "kinks" in the system.

Not sure what iirc means but ps4 does have bluray.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The PS4 Pro is a bit of a half hearted upgrade as Sony wanted to release their console before Microsoft and keep the price down but it's meant it's not as much an upgrade as it should be. In particular despite 4K needing much more video ram, the PS4 pro only gets a small amount more and it uses the same weak CPU cores as the original PS4, just clocked a bit higher. This means Destiny 2 for example still runs at just 30fps on the PS4 Pro:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-why-cant-destiny-run-at-60fps-on-ps4-pro

The Xbox One X is a much more powerful console, ram is increased by 50% from 8GB to 12GB and the GPU is a substantial upgrade meaning it should be able to run much better than the PS4 Pro at 4K. Microsoft's developer support for the X has so far been much better than the fairly lack luster approach Sony took to the pro so at launch there should be a large selection of 4K updates for the X at launch. It shares the same weakness as the PS4 Pro though with the CPU cores again only using slightly higher clocked version of the original low performance CPU cores.

All that aside though, which platform do you play more? Both are upgrades over their standard versions but if you primarily play one platform then I don't think it's worth buying the upgraded version of the other platform.
    Not sure what iirc means but ps4 does have bluray.

I assume they were meaning Blu-ray 4K which neither the PS4 Pro or any of the other PS4 variants support. IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
  • unholyangel
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    The PS4 Pro is a bit of a half hearted upgrade as Sony wanted to release their console before Microsoft and keep the price down but it's meant it's not as much an upgrade as it should be. In particular despite 4K needing much more video ram, the PS4 pro only gets a small amount more and it uses the same weak CPU cores as the original PS4, just clocked a bit higher. This means Destiny 2 for example still runs at just 30fps on the PS4 Pro:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-why-cant-destiny-run-at-60fps-on-ps4-pro

The Xbox One X is a much more powerful console, ram is increased by 50% from 8GB to 12GB and the GPU is a substantial upgrade meaning it should be able to run much better than the PS4 Pro at 4K. Microsoft's developer support for the X has so far been much better than the fairly lack luster approach Sony took to the pro so at launch there should be a large selection of 4K updates for the X at launch. It shares the same weakness as the PS4 Pro though with the CPU cores again only using slightly higher clocked version of the original low performance CPU cores.

All that aside though, which platform do you play more? Both are upgrades over their standard versions but if you primarily play one platform then I don't think it's worth buying the upgraded version of the other platform.

I assume they were meaning Blu-ray 4K which neither the PS4 Pro or any of the other PS4 variants support. IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

I can kind of understand why sony did that though. I mean ps3 was the better spec but I seem to remember they were more expensive at launch and their sales initially suffered until they dropped the price and imo the 360 was by far the better gaming experience. I'm finding it a lot tougher to call between the one/x and 4/pro.

Tbh I don't often get a chance to play mine - but when I do, its generally xbone. Partner prefers ps4 though.

Although I think services might be more expensive on sony (for plus, now etc) and xbox have the benefit of microsoft rewards (which I posted about on here a while back as you can earn 12 months live & approx £50 in xbox credit for using bing search in addition to the xbox live rewards scheme).
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would get the XB1 X But only got the XB1 S Last year, where as my PS4 I had since launch...

I know PS4 Pro not as good as XB1 X
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I would invest in the 4K TV first IMO.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    I would invest in the 4K TV first IMO.

And consider what games you want to play. Its no good having a more powerful Xbox one x if you prefer playstation games.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure