Very difficult situation regarding grandmother's will

Options

Comments

• gll5dm
    gll5dm Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Time to file a formal complaint.
    I mean, I get why it's taking so long (due to the state of the documentation and mess created by previous companies) but do wish this new fella would not promise to get back in touch and fail to stick to that, time and time again. We'll wait until this Thursday before we get back in touch and question why we've not heard anything despite his claim of getting back in touch within a fortnight.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    Into the fourth week since we were told we'd know more within two weeks. Time to get back in touch I feel to ask what on earth is going on.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    No reply to my e-mail at the start of last week, and my mother called his offices on Wednesday asking for a return call. Alas nothing came. It all sounded so promising at first with this company, but has gone downhill very quickly to the point of them completely ignoring us.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    gll5dm wrote: »
    Jeez louise... this is a saga. So apparently the PA to the solicitor now handling this phoned my mother this morning to let her know there is no penalty fee for withdrawing the investments early and that the whole thing ought to be able to be wrapped up within a fortnight. I await further info.
    So much for that, huh? That was promised back at the start of November. What a gang of fools!
  • gll5dm
    Options
    Into the sixth week after being promised updates "within two weeks". I've now tried one last time for an update before we go to the ombudsman. Will wait until Wednesday and then start the ball rolling.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Into the sixth week after being promised updates "within two weeks". I've now tried one last time for an update before we go to the ombudsman. Will wait until Wednesday and then start the ball rolling.
    You have to use the firm!!!8217;s own complaints procedure before the Ombudsman will look at it.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    You have to use the firm!!!8217;s own complaints procedure before the Ombudsman will look at it.
    Latest update on this: I contacted the firm via email to request a copy of their complaints procedure. It's been three weeks and I have had no reply at all.

Apart from that, we all received a letter from the solicitor handling the case (2 weeks ago) to state he is awaiting info from the previous trustee because there is apparently some sort of issue and info he requires to be able to work out who is set to receive what.

The best part about that is he apparently emailed this previous fella end of January, then at that time told us he'd be in touch with in a fortnight, then just left it six weeks for the guy to reply but didn't bother keeping us up to date. The other guy didn't reply (probably thought he'd washed his hands of it all and didn't need to) and so it took my mum to track down by putting his name in Google and finding where he's working now, calling and speaking with him and asking him to get in touch with the new fella to move this along.

To be fair to him he rang my mother back and told her he'd speak to the other previous trustee to try and clear up the new trustee's request, and then said he'd get in touch with this new guy.

The old trustee said he has no idea what info the new one is requesting as, as far as he is concerned, all paperwork was given to the new firm and there is no info that he can give that the new solicitor does not already have.

So here we are, close to one year down the line and with ZERO progress.
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    The 'thank you' button says 'glad you like it'. Whereas I want to say 'thank you for updating us, and continued best wishes with all of this'!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Latest update on this: I contacted the firm via email to request a copy of their complaints procedure. It's been three weeks and I have had no reply at all.

Just write them a letter with "FORMAL COMPLAINT" at the top.

Set out why you are complaining (lack of progress, failure to keep to promised timescales, with details), and how you want them to resolve it (get on with it).

The solicitor is not allowed to make you jump through hoops to file a complaint so there is no need to wait three weeks for them to tell you what the hoops are.
  • gll5dm
    edited 14 March 2018 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Just write them a letter with "FORMAL COMPLAINT" at the top.

Set out why you are complaining (lack of progress, failure to keep to promised timescales, with details), and how you want them to resolve it (get on with it).

The solicitor is not allowed to make you jump through hoops to file a complaint so there is no need to wait three weeks for them to tell you what the hoops are.
    I get what you're saying and it absolutely makes sense. But what happens when they don't get back in touch? Go and tell the Legal Ombudsman and have them assist?

I found this info:
    Law firms have eight weeks to consider and respond to a complaint. If you are unhappy with the response, or have waited more than eight weeks, you can go to the Legal Ombudsman. You must do this within six months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure