PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    kittywight i agree with you that a bargain on meat and cheese helps, i enjoy whoppsie shopping though unless i stick to just looking for yellow stickers my shopping bill tends to go up, bought enough ready sliced meat fro asd@ last week to keep oh in lunches untill the end of may ( i did leave plenty on the shelf). also the stirfry packs were reduced to 10p so i have 5 of them in the freezer. having one of them for tea this evening and the left overs for lunch tomorrow.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jumblejack - I liked the tomato story with your children. My mum did similar things and we are all quite into food/cooking as a result.

I have to go into the city early for the next three days and kill an hour before work. Am dropping off next to big T, and work near S and A. I am so tempted to go and get the good value bits from each rather than do one big home delivery.

Makro have 907g frozen cooked king prawns for £4.99
    - huge bag. Will get some more if I have a chance as we had some at the weekend and they are nice. They also had very reduced frozen food - like big bags of oven chips for 38p.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zepsgal wrote: »
    Well, Im up to £161.28 :mad::eek:

I mean honestly, there is TWO of us plus a small dog. TWO OF US!! That's a shocking amount of cash to have spent since 30th March.

Don't get me wrong, cupboards fridge and freezer are all full, so all I need is maybe a bit of fresh veg later in the month, but still :(

We went to the local chinese supermarket on Sunday, spent £28 odds. I had taken my bagged 1p's and 2p's etc to the local shop and cashed them in, had £30, so this paid for that shop. Still counting it in my budget though. Did get some cheap noodles and a nice big bottle of sweet chilli sauce, can use for dipping or for cooking with. And we got some nice dim sum type things.

Dog food and coffee, another £12 for that. DH bought us a takeaway from the chippie on Sat night (naughty) and then we bought pizza's for dinner last night (another £4 for two of them)

Which is ridiculous, as I could have easily have made dinners from what I had both nights. I'm just sick of being the only one that ever cooks. I'm the only one that shops, I try to meal plan, but..... I don't know. Sometimes I deliberately don't make dinner, don't plan anything, don't defrost any meat, just to make a point to DH. Not that it ever works. We had 'words' about the cooking/meal planning etc at the weekend. He says that I have taken control of it all, he doesn't want to interfere with my plans. My point was that the only reason I do everything is because he does nothing :mad: Last time he went shopping on his own he spent over £25 on ONE meal :mad:

Rant over lol
    Do you both work full time? If so the jobs should be shared equally. Mr F works - abeit from home - I am just his very part time clerical assistant so I do all the jobs.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • Florenceem
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I've done this before, and it's pointless. The man will even sit there and complain that he's hungry!! :mad: To which I reply 'Well make some dinner then.', and he replies 'There's nothing to eat!'!! Infuriating. There's plenty to eat. What he means is 'There are no ready meals that I can stick in the microwave for five minutes, and then eat out of the plastic pot it came in so I can also avoid washing up!'. :mad::mad:

Drives me nuts!!! After quite a few arguments about it though, we've come to a small compromise in that, if I don't feel like cooking, he'll pay for us to order a takeaway that night (we can usually make it last 3 nights! They send so much stuff!). This is what I did on Saturday, but with McDonald's. I needed to go out and get a few bits, but my stomach was cramping and I was generally feeling low and down and irritable. So I just asked OH if he would treat us to a McDonald's as i was not going to cook. And he did.

I do wish he'd just cook more often though. Firstly, the number of meals cooked by me, and paid for/ordered in by him, is not split equally. I still do most of the work on that front. And secondly, I don't want to have to eat junk food, just to get a night off from cooking!! Though, he does sometimes make scrambled eggs on toast, or beans on toast too, but usually after I've moaned at him for ages and made it clear he'll go hungry if he doesn't cook!
    Again - are you both working full time? Mr F works long hours - I don't so - I do all the meal planning, cook all the meals and wash up.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    Books read - 2023 - 37
  • Florenceem
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    photo-47.jpg?t=1334058564

Still piping hot! A bit of buttered wholemeal toast and a sprinkling of parmasan.

Verdict: mmmmmm :)
    Looks lovely but - I don't eat soup.
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    Books read - 2023 - 37
  • Florenceem
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Mine impressed me in the early days with his stir fry dishes! One of the few things he still cooks (when pestered), cos somehow I do it wrong! haha

Most infuriating thing for me is that, sometimes, he complains that something isn't as crispy as he'd like it, or it doesn't contain the meat he wants etc! :mad::mad: He doesn't do it very often though, as I invariably respond with 'If you don't bl00dy like it, then don't bl00dy eat it! I am not your personal chef here for you to pass judgement on! Just be grateful!'. Grrrrr, that one really gets on my wick! I think he enjoys winding me up! No, no, he definitely does! :rotfl:
    Feel very blessed with Mr F - always compliments me on meals - gives points out of 10 - usually 200+. Yes we are still daft after 14 years of marriage - intend to keep it that way!
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    Books read - 2023 - 37
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2012 at 5:09PM
    Options
    photo-48.jpg?t=1334073247

Here is tea. Veggie curry made with whoopsied veg of course.
    Salad is also whoopsied. :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • kittywight
    kittywight Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    1a.jpg

heres tonights supper
    xx
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello All, :hello:

Back from my hols and we've today done our first shop of April GC. The total was only £12.49, not bad as it includes another beef joint from Coop as its the last day of the reduction, but the other expenditure in the sig is the stuff bulk bought earlier in the year and allocated across.

I really feel for you zepsgal and euronorris. Your stories make me very grateful for my OH who does all the cooking and washing up here and is gradually getting back into doing the shopping again too (within very strict rules mind!;)). The other side of the coin is though that we both work (virtually) full time and he wouldn't know the first thing about money, banking, finance, insurances, etc. I do the household cleaning mostly but he'll do the odd wash of clothes and put it on the line or get it in as he's doing at this very moment! :D

We've always described ourselves as a team and we just each play to our strengths and likes. He's learned a lot from me on how to cook and he enjoys it. I can do it but don't enjoy it and would rather be fiddling with bank accounts, spreadsheets and keeping the admin in order. :think:

FrugalLina congratulations on a wonderful achievement! :T

What a wonderful way to spend some time with the little ones jumblejack, really made me smile. :A

Right sig is up to date and I'll see you all later.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Survived Meadowhall....and remembered catfood...£5.16 for 12 tins...also nipped into W**sons and Savers...£2.50 and £4.00 respectivally

Chicken kiev,rosemary potatoes and salad for tea and DD1 cooking so even better.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure