How to update Operating System

Hi

My own PC Has died on me - see other thread (just in case you can help - SO CONFUSED).

I have now come across my dad's old lap top. It is a Sony vaio - it's old but working. Dad only every used it to watch YouTube videos of Doris Day! So no files / docs etc stored.

Unfortunately it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

How do I go about removing Vista and replacing with Windows 10?

Many thanks.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What's the specific model of the laptop?

If it's running Vista, it's probably around 10 years old. There might not be any Win10 drivers available for it. And, given the cost of a Windows 10 licence, it might be better putting the money towards a new laptop instead...?

If you're feeling brave, Linux almost certainly has drivers to get it running pretty well.
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    What's the specific model of the laptop?

If it's running Vista, it's probably around 10 years old. There might not be any Win10 drivers available for it. And, given the cost of a Windows 10 licence, it might be better putting the money towards a new laptop instead...?

If you're feeling brave, Linux almost certainly has drivers to get it running pretty well.

Awe, I did think the Windows 10 was just a free update. I do remember my computer updating itself from Windows 7 to 10. I logged on to PC one day and it had changed all by itself. When my son reinstalled Windows 10 on my other PC, he didn't pay for it. I will have to find out what he has done it.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,611
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Awe, I did think the Windows 10 was just a free update.
    From Windows 7 & 8 yes, from Vista no.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,694
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    W7 to W10 was (is !) a free update, unfortunately Vista to W10 is not. What OS is on the old PC ?
  • Terrysdelight
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    W7 to W10 was (is !) a free update, unfortunately Vista to W10 is not. What OS is on the old PC ?

The old PC - the all in one is Windows 10.

If I can avoid buying another computer I would much rather get a fix.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd put Linux on it. That's often the best way to refresh an old laptop. Installation is usually pain and best of all, free. It means a bit of a learning curve but there is plenty of help available on the internet.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Terrysdelight
    Forumite
    I'd put Linux on it. That's often the best way to refresh an old laptop. Installation is usually pain and best of all, free. It means a bit of a learning curve but there is plenty of help available on the internet.

Thanks, my son is familiar with Linux - I will ask him to help me. Thank you.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Linux Mint is a good choice for newbies - it's easy to install, supports almost all hardware, works very similar to Windows, and has a very friendly and supportive community who don't expect you to be a techy.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

For an old laptop I'd go for the XFCE flavour as it runs really well on limited hardware.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/choose.html
  • icomp
    icomp Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks, my son is familiar with Linux - I will ask him to help me. Thank you.

I have an old Vaio that I tried to install Linux on, it worked ok until trying anything with graphics and it wouldn't have it, lost countless hours messing about with it on that issue.
  • you need to contact your system vendor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport