Vodafone don't want me anymore??

Auldgit
Auldgit Posts: 34 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, just had a txt from Vodafone to say that as from 01 June it will be ceasing data access on my Blackberry Classic, as it is now classed as an "old phone", and if I want to continue to use its service I have to buy a new one! I'm really annoyed about this 'cos it's a great phone and works really well for me. I'm obviously going to quit Voda and go with someone else, but I don't want to run into the same problem in a few months time elsewhere. Has anyone else had this experience, and are any other networks doing the same thing??

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IIRC the Blackberry Classic (or some of them) use the older style internet connection, is it MMS or Wap or something like that?

If that's the case then that'll almost certainly be the reason why you can't use data on it any longer - its an obsolete standard. All providers will eventually stop supporting this as the market moves towards "modern" mobile internet as a minimum and the older standards just fall off the bottom, supported by an ever decreasing number of devices until there comes a point where the cost for the usage is not worth it to the providers.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Auldgit wrote: »
    Hi all, just had a txt from Vodafone to say that as from 01 June it will be ceasing data access on my Blackberry Classic, as it is now classed as an "old phone", and if I want to continue to use its service I have to buy a new one! I'm really annoyed about this 'cos it's a great phone and works really well for me. I'm obviously going to quit Voda and go with someone else, but I don't want to run into the same problem in a few months time elsewhere. Has anyone else had this experience, and are any other networks doing the same thing??

BlackBerry are shutting down its consumers services (eg BBM is going very soon) so I'm afraid you'll need to upgrade/change soon whichever provider you choose for BIS.
  • Auldgit
    Thanks guys. Sounds as if I'm stuffed!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just get a new smartphone - you'll be amazed at how easy the screens are to read compared to a BB.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm running a Blackberry Key2 - not for the 'Blackberry-ness' but for the hardware keyboard, which I still really like. It's Android, great spec, but still comes with some Blackberry software that might keep you happy. I moved over from a Samsung Galaxy S8 and haven't missed it. OK, maybe the camera, a bit. It's giant leaps ahead of whatever Blackberry you'll be running.
  • Auldgit
    Yes still prefer to keep a keyboard if poss. Like the looks of the PRIV so may try one of those. Cheers all.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PRIV is pretty old but still on a current-ish version of Android. I really like the look of it and that it's a slider. You should hopefully get a good one on eBay, Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure