IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Multiple county court claims?

I am being pursued by UK CPM / DRP / Gladstones for parking in my own allocated space at my property.

There are three outstanding PCNs being pursued (same space, same car, same parties involved). Gladstones have issued a Letter Before Claim for one of these. I have questioned this, enquiring as to whether two more will follow and we will be going to go to court three times.

Their response was that since the cases have come to them separately, if they were to be consolidated it would be by application to the court.

Clearly wasting court time is bad practice so three separate claims for three parking tickets seems absurd. I would have thought that it would be up to the claimant to organise their claim in an efficient manner at the outset. Is this covered by the CPR or similar? Have Googled without finding anything much so far.

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, thats incorrect

You TELL Them they MUST issue a single claim for all three PCNs; as they are aware that all three relate to the same issue they are compelled to issue a single claim otherwise they are failing in their duty as Officers of the Courts, and will be reported to the SRA. They have no excuse in this.

State that, shoudl they issue three seperate claims you will
    1) APply for claims 2 and 3 to be struck out as an abuse of process and a clear attempt at double recovery
    1a) Apply for claim 1 to be struck out due to the existence of claims 2 and 3.
    1b) As there will be NO costs protection for their client or Gladstones at this point, you will apply for your FULL costs at 50% of a band D fee earner, namely £60 per hour, as this represents the grossly unprofresional nature of gladstones KNOWINGLY filing three claims for the same underlyign issue.
    2) Report GS partners to the SRA for a gross breach of the CoC.
  • wotnott
    wotnott Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2018 at 11:00AM
    Thanks nosferatu1001. Is there a reference I can quote in relation to this, whether it be CPR, SRA Coc, or something else? (By this I mean something which makes it clear that, as you said, if the solicitors know that all three PCNs relate to the same issue they are compelled to issue a single claim otherwise they are failing in their duty as Officers of the Courts.)
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    See if others come along
    But they have a duty to the courts not to waste tjhe courts time
    Also look up double recovery - the £50 fee for filing a claim x 3 is certainly double (triple) recovery.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    nosferatu1001 has given you the best advice

Gladstones are such an incompetent firm of solicitors

Regarding UKCPM who are scam members of the IPC,
    read up about them and residential cases
    https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/search?q=ukcpm

If you don't know already, Gladstones set up the IPC/IAS
    which is a fake appeal service so REJECTED is the most
    used word by them.
    Then Gladstones get involved and completes
    the scam circle ..... hence your letters from Gladstones

You will find in their LBA that they have added a fake
    £60 ???
    This comes from DRP who you ignored (righfully so)
    This is where the scam goes a step further because
    DRP offer a "no win - no fee" to PPC's

ODD THAT...... whilst you did not pay DRP they still
    added the £60 .... remember "no win - no fee"

DRP and Gladstones are attempting to extort money
    from you from their "no win - no fee"

THE £60 SCAM OPERATED BY DRP ?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859454&highlight=debt+collectors+drp

Then read up about Gladstones
    https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/search?q=gladstones

The Daily Mail is currently on SCAM WATCH regarding
    parking companies
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-6251825/Fight-against-private-parking-tickets-campaign-stop-sharks.html

They are asking for stories of unfair charges to editor@thisismoney.co.uk

Sir Greg Knight who proposed the new parking bill,
    which will be out soon must be to told about the
    GREAT GLADSTONES SCAM. He already knows
    https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/sir-greg-knight/1200

The IPC are currently an ATA (Accredited Trade Association)
    which must come to an end as this HUGE SCAM is
    probably bigger than WONGA ever was
  • http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part01
    Part 1 of the CPR sets out the overriding objective, which includes a duty on parties to deal with matters in a cost-effective way.
    Pursuing you three times in respect of the same subject matter is a waste of costs and they have a duty to follow and to further the overriding objective.

There is also the legal principle res judicata:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_judicata
    the court cannot be expected to deal more than once with the same subject matter, which your parking charges clearly are. So if they choose to pursue one, then you will argue that res judicata applies to the others and they are not entitled to pursue them separately.

Search for and read the thread by hairray on your situation. Are you a tenant or the leaseholder? There was another epic one recently, I'll have a look now and post the link.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74535137#post74535137

You need to go to the management company/freeholder and complain, complain, complain. And like MercilessKiller in this thread you need to dig, dig, dig
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • wotnott
    Are you a tenant or the leaseholder?

Leaseholder.
  • Good, less complications if you are actually the leaseholder.

1. Were parking regulations in force when you purchased?
    2. What does the lease say - is the parking space part of the "demised property" (ie you actually own it) or do you just have rights to park in it?
    3. What does the lease say about restrictions on that parking (eg no commercial vehicles, only 1 roadworthy vehicle to be parked etc).
    4. Elsewhere in your lease there will be something called "estate regulations" or similar. These will be defined in the definitions clause. The definition may be important. Then there will be a clause somewhere saying the freeholder or MC has the power/right to introduce new estate regulations (often with wording that they will be for the good/effective running of the estate for its residents or something like that). This is the tricky clause. Some judges will say this gives them the right to introduce parking regs, but that's when you have to look closely at the precise wording in the lease as to whether those rights extend to the parking areas or not. eg the regs may be defined as applying only to the common areas, and the definition of common areas may not include the parking area. You will argue that even if the right exists, new regulations have to be for the benefit of the estate and regulations targeting innocent residents are not, and any new regulations must be properly introduced. Furthermore, the only right they have under the lease to charge you will be in the service charge/ground rent clause. They are not permitted to charge you a separate sum for failing to comply with estate regulations, and there will be no right to enforce on you a contractual relationship with a third party (the PPC).

You need to do what merciless killer and hairray did and write to the management company/freeholder. Merciless Killer discovered that in his case the contract between MC and PPC actually contained a clause that the MC was entitled to call for tickets issued to residents to be cancelled, and MK had lodged his VRM for the residents' white list. Hairray threatened to sue the MC/freeholder for breaching his right to quiet enjoyment of his property (which included the space). Both got their tickets cancelled, but both had to be very feisty with the MC/freeholder and were initially fobbed off.

You need to fish out your lease and read it carefully and then write to the MC/freeholder as those other leaseholders did.

You also need to write to Gallstones to tell them that there are 3 pcns and they clearly need to be dealt with together because they arise out of the same circumstances/set of facts and it is clearly a breach of CPR Part 1 for their client to pursue you separately in respect of each one. Also spell out to Gallstones why you say you are not liable (you have pre-existing rights to use the parking space in accordance with your lease and their client has no right to interfere with those rights).
  • wotnott
    edited 8 December 2018 at 8:47AM
    Loadsofchildren123,

1. Yes, parking regulations were in force at the time of purchase. No change.
    2. Yes, the parking bay is part of the demised property. Clearly stated in the lease.
    3. 'Not to use the parking space for any purpose other than the parking of a fully taxed insured and roadworthy motor vehicle not exceeding 1.5 tonnes'.
    4. The lease says this: 'In using the exterior of the Estate neither the Tenant nor any member of his household is to... Contravene any reasonable arrangements that the Landlord makes for the regulation and circulation of vehicular traffic.'

On item 4, I think my position would be that my parking space is my own property, as per my lease, and as such is not 'the exterior of the estate', which might imply communal areas. Valid?
  • Yes. I think if the lease demises the parking space, then they can't introduce restrictions for using it. If parking regs were already in force when you bought, these were not part of the lease because they aren't mentioned in it.

I'd certainly argue that clause only applies to the common areas - eg visitors parking, not parking out of the spaces etc.

"Traffic" also implies movement - look at the dictionary definition. Eg is the purpose of that clause to control movement (eg introduce a one-way system) or parking?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure