Car Finance advice

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5695168

Few months ago you had your sights set on a £7000 car - what went wrong?
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    foxy-stoat wrote: »

Inflation :D
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    foxy-stoat wrote: »

Blame Brexit?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Something like a mid sized car like a Ford Mondeo would also be adequate. We have two collies and get them both in the back of mine fine and they're quite happy doing an 8hr journey. A car would be cheaper to run than a QashQai both in fuel and tyres.

It does depend on the dog - I don’t think my 2 Alaskan Malamutes would be happy after an 8 hour journey in a mid sized car. That is why I drive a 4x4.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • If you really want the car, can afford to spend this amount on a depreciating liability and don't mind long term obligations to repay monthly, then go for it.

People on here will always advise buying more cheaply or saving up, because it is the most prudent way to do it in moneysaving terms. Also, because they have seen so many people buy cars they can't afford on a whim and then lose their job, or life takes some other unexpected turn.
    I personally struggled to sleep at night when my unsecured borrowing went above £10k, but everyone is different.
    We bought a 5 year old Kia Rio for my wife recently for £4500. Far too small for you, but the screen price was £4750 and there were two years left on the warranty. They preferred to throw in extras rather than give a discount, but we got a few percent off. What was said earlier about being willing to close the deal and drive away is almost certainly true.

Good luck. I find car buying a bit exciting but it also fills me with dread... Like moving home.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    It does depend on the dog - I don’t think my 2 Alaskan Malamutes would be happy after an 8 hour journey in a mid sized car. That is why I drive a 4x4.

No, you drive a 4x4 because you want to. Plenty of large estates have the same if not more space in the back than 4x4s. In the OP’s case she is after a Qashqai which is Astra, Focus size inside so the post you quoted advising a Mondeo estate would be bigger so by your reasoning better.

Absolutely no NEED for a 4x4 for the OP but if she (and you) want one that’s fine but don’t try and kid people who know better that it’s because of the size.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »

My Mondeo has a larger boot than many 4x4s. 4x4 doesn't automatically mean a larger boot. A Toyota Land Cruiser has a boot the size of a Fiat 500 without folding down the seats. Toy 4x4s like the Nissan QashQai have pathetically small boots in comparison.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    eschaton wrote: »
    £10k isn't a lot for a car if you have £10k.

£10k is a lot to borrow for a car.

Best idea is to spend less and start saving. Maybe next time round you will be able to buy the car without borrowing.

What percentage of people do you think borrow money for a car? I know very few that have ever bought one outright.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    tonycottee wrote: »
    What percentage of people do you think borrow money for a car? I know very few that have ever bought one outright.

Agreed. These days pretty much everyone either borrows money or leases a car
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tonycottee wrote: »
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Agreed. These days pretty much everyone either borrows money or leases a car

You may possibly be right but I don't see the point in getting into great debt for a car.

Save up and buy what you can afford.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport