Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt

Options

Comments

• jamesp31
    jamesp31 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Co-operative - there is no set policy on reductions, but usually items with tomorrows date would be reduced by 25%, then on the day by 50%, then a further 25% towards the end of the day to clear. They may even go down to 10 just before closing.
  • mrme
    mrme Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    alecc wrote: »
    Oh yes!!!! forgot, if look for things to buy that are buy one get one free, then the shop will owe you money. haha

many a time i had to give people money because the way the till works is for example:

1pizza - 99p + 1pizza 99p
    (and then it goes -99p because it's buy one get one free)

so if it's reduced:

1pizza - 20p + 1pizza 20p
    ( and then -99p because the offer is built into the item code, so it still thinks it needs to take off 99p to make it a buy one get one free offer)

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but it's true about giving away money, my manager said that we had to because it was our mistake not the customers.

SO LOOK FOR BUY ONE GET ONE FREES IN THE REDUCED SECTION PEOPLE!! :)

Doesn't work on BOGOF's though, only on the 2 for £2.00 type of multi-buys. If you were to buy 2 reduced items on BOGOF you would simply get them BOGOF @ the reduced price. I'm sure this is for all Sainsbury's, it used to work but obviously too many people were getting free shopping! Still, if you see reduced items on a multi-buy offer you can still make a profit so deffo worth looking out for.
    :j :j
  • JIMbo345
    JIMbo345 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i dont know if in the right place. Or if it still works.
    How many times have you got to the shelf to find its empty.
    I spoke to my friend who works for Tesco. Who told me that if they have an offer thats out of stock. Go to the customer service. They will give you a ticket to get your deal. At the now price . This ticket lasts for 6 months
    I have not checked this out as we no longer live near a Tescos
  • chris_weeto
    Options
    First post!!

I worked at ASDA for 4 years during my college days. I worked on the produce department (fruit and veg) in the evenings. Reductions would start at 5pm when my shift started. It was pretty much personal discretion as to how much you reduced items by.

The rules were that stock going out of date that day needed to be sold, so we'd find all of these items and take about 20 or 30 pence off them (dependant on how much they were) and place them on the reduced items trolley.

About half way through the shift you'd knock the remainder down to about half price or maybe less if there were lots remaining. And with about an hour of the shift left you'd generally stick everything down to 10p to shift it!!
  • iblametheparents
    Options
    Boots normally reduce all of their sandwiches and salads around 3pm. They all go down to 75p! I end up eating three or four of them though! They do this in all three Boots in Liverpool city centre so I imagine this is the case nationwide.

I've found Sainsbury's Local reduce sandwiches and other food at around 5pm.
  • mrme
    Options
    JIMbo345 wrote: »
    Hi i dont know if in the right place. Or if it still works.
    How many times have you got to the shelf to find its empty.
    I spoke to my friend who works for Tesco. Who told me that if they have an offer thats out of stock. Go to the customer service. They will give you a ticket to get your deal. At the now price . This ticket lasts for 6 months
    I have not checked this out as we no longer live near a Tescos

This is correct, I believe it is known as a Raincheck Voucher and they can be obtained from customer services when something on offer isn't available so you are able to take advantage of the offer when the items are next available. Sainsbury's also offer this service, think they call it a special coupon. Obvioulsy neither of them publicise that they offer this service :rolleyes:
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I was in M&S today and was looking at the Oakham chickens.
    All except a couple of very large ones (too big for us) had today's date on.
    I wanted to get one for tommorrow's dinner while they are on offer.
    Am I right in thinking that they never reduce food going out of date as I have never seen it .
    Or should I have asked ?
    I would have bought some and frozen them if they were further reduced.
    Any inside information would be appreciated!
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I work in sainsburys on saturdays and sundays on produce/fresh, the reductions on fresh are done around 12/1 pm and a few hours later they reduced even more, the reductions on produce are done around the same time as fresh and again they are reduced even more later on
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • turboshandy
    Options
    Which supermarket did you work for?

Co-op, I was dairy supervisor.

What times of day do you reduce prices?

Reductions were made first thing in the morning with stock levels checked periodically throughout the day, further reductionsbeing made as and when required.

How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)

This was very much dependant on how much stock there was. If, for example, there were over 20 packets of cold meat on their use by date, I would half price them straight away. If there were only one or two, 10-20% was the norm, taking further 10-20% discounts off as the day went on.

What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?

Again, this was dependant on stock levels. Generally around 5.00 was the norm.

Who has the authority to reduce prices?

As dairy supervisor, it was all down to me. :cool:

If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to?

Yes, although morning checks should have picked up all goods on their sell-by date.

Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?

N/A

And any other useful tips …

Don't be put off by items being sold on their "best before" date. These will generally keep for a long time after the date expires.

"Best Before" is not the same as "Use By".

Hope this helps.
  • mrme
    Options
    lin473 wrote: »
    I was in M&S today and was looking at the Oakham chickens.
    All except a couple of very large ones (too big for us) had today's date on.
    I wanted to get one for tommorrow's dinner while they are on offer.
    Am I right in thinking that they never reduce food going out of date as I have never seen it .
    Or should I have asked ?
    I would have bought some and frozen them if they were further reduced.
    Any inside information would be appreciated!

I have never seen any either, think the staff get most of it which is a shame as I lurve M&S :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport