Eating in Edinburgh

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Cat72 and Edinburghlass. Sorry forgot to update about the pressie and cake (shame on me!) Apart from the fortune spent in Edinburgh, got her simple aquamarine white gold solitaire, which she absolutely loves, it went down very well. Also a gothic gown, which she had picked herself, so obviously delighted with that. Cake done at Asda, sneaked photograph from her room, surprised she didn't notice that one, her favourite Gwen Stefani signed photo. Was thrilled with the cake which cost under a tenner, and only took about 10 mins. Little one was so thrilled she burst into tears, and had to re-do her make-up! Ordered balloons via link on this site, and they were included in every photograph taken. Her Dad got her a lovely bunch of flowers - don't think he is a meanie, we bought all her pressies, but the flowers just from him, as he is out of the country just now. Poor man may have to stay away a bit longer to pay for all this expense! Forgot to say that I was treated to Sunday lunch for Mother's Day, and she did pay for the bottle of wine too. I expect that will be the last drink she will buy me for quite some time! Also did use thesilvercard and saved over £6 at Frankensteins, so was well worth getting it, and no doubt will be able to use it lots more. Think that was the only money saving bit of the whole weekend, oh and we brought back the bottle of champagne we had taken with us ...... we were too tired to drink it! It will keep for another day!
    We popped into the National Museum of Scotland for a little while, I just can't resist going there, it is so fascinating. Worth it just to see the Millenium clock, and its free.
    Still haven't managed to pluck up the courage to go on one of the ghost tours. I was spooked enough years ago in broad daylight in Greyfriars graveyard, had really bad feeling and had to get out of there. Found out a bit later was at the mausoleum of Bloody Mackenzie who had put hundreds of Covenanters to their death. Never had the courage to go back, what a woose I am! Did pass by on Monday, and said we should go as it was such a beautiful day, but got sidetracked (possibly deliberately!). Anyway, one of these days........
    Thanks again to all, what wonderful people you all are.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As there were some great places for eating in Edinburgh posted here I am going to make it a sticky :beer:
  • Thought i'd add my experience. I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Leith walk (just 5 mins from Princes St).
    The nearest pub from there was the Wetherspoons (attached to the cinema complex) directly across the street. Between nine of us, all the food was great and pretty cheap. All 9 of us had pints or bottles and 18 pounds covered a round which is the cheapest we found all weekend.
    Also spent time in Frankensteins at night and the atmosphere was magic, no food but fun all the same.
    Found a small pub called Acanthas which is just off Princes St at the west end of the station but can't remember the street. That had a great atmosphere and nice decor etc.
  • matthwnm
    matthwnm Posts: 85
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all

Thanks for the great ideas in this thread, will try some out.

My fiancee and I are spending a few days in Edinburgh later in the year. We particularlt like Greek food and our we've found that there is a restaurant called Santorini (and its close to where we will be staying). Has anybody tried this or any other Greek restaurant in Edinburgh? What did you think?

Thanks all :beer:

Matthew
  • I use 5pm regularly thanks and it has great offers and sample menus.

Didnt know about the silver card but thanks to you I do now and just about to apply for it. Many thanks :T
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Got to say that I was amazed at the number of 'all you can eat' places in Edinburgh ... just wish I had have had a few more days to fit them in.

The one we did try was the all you can eat chinese restaurant 'Jimmy Cheungs'. I have had better chinese food but for a simple buffet banquet boith DW and I were very impressed, a great selection of dishes for starters, and main course and some simple desserts ... I made a little piglet of myself.

Owing to a simple accident by a waiter .. namely spilling a small amount of ice cold water down my back (certainly made me jump) ... they removed the charge for all drinks from our bill ... whoohoo. :D

Like crichierules we also stayed in the Holiday Inn Express, excellent rooms and decent continental breakfast (I was warned not to take a room at the front because they can be noisey.

Ivan

PS: One other things about your street beggars. We threw a few pence at a girl with a dog and the next day we saw the same girl dressed up a bit (with same dog) walking down the street with several big bags of clothes ... ever had the feeling you were had? :D Next time the clown in the lime green outfit and the drum gets the money. :D
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • And don't forget Benny's (sp) down the Royal Mile for positively the best bag of chips to be had at midnight :D
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And don't forget Benny's (sp) down the Royal Mile for positively the best bag of chips to be had at midnight :D
    Its all in who buys them and what the girls are checking out while they are being cooked. :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • norman
    norman Posts: 48 Forumite
    walk up past the KINGS THEATRE , past the BP Station there is a VG small

Chinese Restaurant (forget the name) they have super VEGGIE & other

choices AND ARE VERY reasonable-- "PANDA INN" just remembered!!

THE CLAY OVEN approx 900 metres further on , at CHURCHILL is about

the best INDO-PAK restaurant of about 80 in EDINBURGH & have VG

veggie options. I have eaten @ both for over 15 years
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • IS (International Starters) in Commercial Quay fronting onto the Scottish Executive Offices is ideal for both herbies and carnies. Staff and atmosphere friendly but be sure to tell them that one of the group is veggie and that you want the veggie dishes served along with teh carnies. The order comes in waves.

Ask Fraser or Kerry to sing happy birthday as they bring the cake out. Tee hee hee!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure