Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• Hi everyone

First of all congratulations and well done to everyone who has posted with a success story, I am currently in the middle of a claim but am seeking some advice. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies

My claim is with Yorkshire/Clydesdale bank and for charges totalling£2020. I also calculated and added on the interest, this totalling £185.27.

After reading on these forums about claiming back charges I decided to have a bash at it myself. Downloaded the template letters and sent off the one requesting all statements showing charges on 24/01/2012. I got a reply on 09/02 asking for a cheque for £10 to cover "admin", I obliged and sent off the cheque.

On 07/03 I received all relevant paper work so i sat down and highlighted all the charges and then calculated also the interest using the calculator on this site.

I then sent off, via recorded delivery on 24/03, the highlighted statements as well as the template letter explaining why I believe I should be refunded (hardship, etc)

I've arrived home from work tonight with a letter from the bank. It looks to me to be a standard rejection letter as there are no specific references to my claim apart from the first line reading "I Refer to your letter dated 24/03 and all previous correspondence relating to bank charges..."
    They also have kindly included a leaflet on "dealing with debt" and one about contacting the Ombudsman.

I am now wondering what to do next.

Contact the bank again explaining I will now contact the ombudsman?
    Not be so informative and go straight to the ombudsman anyway?
    Or is this quite simply the end of the road for my claim? I hope not.

Once again any help would be much appreciated, especially anyone who has dealt with Yorkshire/Clydesdale bank specifically.

Cheers, Daryl. :beer:
  • howie94
    howie94 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all

I recently put in for 6 years of bank charges with citibank for £1420 and when down the hardship route as i am struggling with water & rent arrears, 12 days later had a reply from them stating -
    From Citibank today relating to my bank charges they stated sorry they cannot assist and will not be refunding the bank charges to me, and that the banks won the right of charges in court in 2007 etc etc
    Also as im in hardship to contact CCCS and they can help me throughout difficult times to which i will not be doing. They also enclosed in their letter 'how to complain to the omburdsman' etc....

Is there anything else i can do now ? or just ignore and put this case to bed....:(

kind regards
  • DarylSt1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

First of all congratulations and well done to everyone who has posted with a success story, I am currently in the middle of a claim but am seeking some advice. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies

My claim is with Yorkshire/Clydesdale bank and for charges totalling£2020. I also calculated and added on the interest, this totalling £185.27.

After reading on these forums about claiming back charges I decided to have a bash at it myself. Downloaded the template letters and sent off the one requesting all statements showing charges on 24/01/2012. I got a reply on 09/02 asking for a cheque for £10 to cover "admin", I obliged and sent off the cheque.

On 07/03 I received all relevant paper work so i sat down and highlighted all the charges and then calculated also the interest using the calculator on this site.

I then sent off, via recorded delivery on 24/03, the highlighted statements as well as the template letter explaining why I believe I should be refunded (hardship, etc)

I've arrived home from work tonight with a letter from the bank. It looks to me to be a standard rejection letter as there are no specific references to my claim apart from the first line reading "I Refer to your letter dated 24/03 and all previous correspondence relating to bank charges..."
    They also have kindly included a leaflet on "dealing with debt" and one about contacting the Ombudsman.

I am now wondering what to do next.

Contact the bank again explaining I will now contact the ombudsman?
    Not be so informative and go straight to the ombudsman anyway?
    Or is this quite simply the end of the road for my claim? I hope not.

Once again any help would be much appreciated, especially anyone who has dealt with Yorkshire/Clydesdale bank specifically.

Cheers, Daryl. :beer:

Without knowing exactly the reason they rejected your claim it's difficult to comment however, I would say that if there is anything in their 'actual' reason for doing so that you feel is incorrect or unfair then write back and tell them so.

Like they could have said "whilst we sympathise with your situation your charges have been applied in line with our policy etc etc." Now then, if you know of anything that perhaps they had been unfair about like for example, you might have asked them for help in your difficulties and they refused then that wouldn't have been very fair treatment.

You based your claim on "hardship etc". Don't know what the "etc" is exactly but you have to have a cast iron case of hardship for it to be even considered and even then it's not guaranteed - you are at their mercy really.

Don't forget they also will have scrutinised your spending habits on your account whilst considering your complaint, if they feel that you did not spend wisely and therefore incurred charges as a result and that was the case then I would go no further.

If you feel you have a genuine good case it's always worth writing back and when the final response "No"arrives then go to the FOS.
  • howie94 wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently put in for 6 years of bank charges with citibank for £1420 and when down the hardship route as i am struggling with water & rent arrears, 12 days later had a reply from them stating -
    From Citibank today relating to my bank charges they stated sorry they cannot assist and will not be refunding the bank charges to me, and that the banks won the right of charges in court in 2007 etc etc
    Also as im in hardship to contact CCCS and they can help me throughout difficult times to which i will not be doing. They also enclosed in their letter 'how to complain to the omburdsman' etc....

Is there anything else i can do now ? or just ignore and put this case to bed....:(

kind regards

Check out my response above. I know you said that you claimed through hardship but their reply seems to imply that a claim of unfairness may have played some part in the reason for their response? It's standard for rejection letters to include the FOS leaflets.
  • After writing to Natwest to reclaim £3000 worth of charges from between 2002 and 2006 we recently received a letter. They basically said, many times, that we weren't entitled to anything but were going to give us £1100 anyway as a 'gesture of goodwill'. Which seemed oddly nice of them. Should we be pushing them for more? Can the £1100 be retracted? Should we just consider ourselves lucky and take the money?
  • RedAndBlue wrote: »
    After writing to Natwest to reclaim £3000 worth of charges from between 2002 and 2006 we recently received a letter. They basically said, many times, that we weren't entitled to anything but were going to give us £1100 anyway as a 'gesture of goodwill'. Which seemed oddly nice of them. Should we be pushing them for more? Can the £1100 be retracted? Should we just consider ourselves lucky and take the money?

Personally, I would take the money and run. You have done very well to get anything at all pre 2006. If you push it you might lose their current offer. Well done and enjoy:D
  • Hello,

I'm currently writing a letter to claim using one of your templates.
    However, I need some advice.
    I am still in financial hardship now (and very badly) but at the time of the first charges I received I was a student. I have now been graduated for two years but am still in my student overdraft with a student credit card that I am having difficult paying off due to being stuck for several years in a vicious cycle of charges that I could not break off (totalling £100's of pounds per month). Every time a single bit of money went into my account to clear me from being OVER my overdraft, the bank took it all back out again and then happily sent me letters charging me extra £20's for me not having the money in my account to pay my bills.

Due to these recurring charges I have struggled to live (pay rent, council tax etc) because any wage that goes into my accounts after general bills come out, isn't enough to pay off an ounce of the debt that I wouldn't have had if I wasn't charged such ludicrous amounts!

My only concern with claiming is the fact that I WAS a student with a student account and not a general account, and that I still hold a graduate account. Will this go against me even though I am in financial hardship?

HELP!
  • Bank : Halifax
    Card: Halifax credit card
    : £2456 refunded

One 'phone call, letter five days later and cheque in post 3 weeks later - couldn't believe it.

Seems I had paid PPI on credit card, it had been stopped (all without my knowledge, until queried something else on credit card and helpful advisor told me!)::D
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Can I claim charges from both my credit and bank account ?they are both with Yorkshire
  • kjd35aqua
    kjd35aqua Posts: 52 Forumite
    could do with some advice if anyone can help.

i had a tsb bank charges claim in 2007 for £1870 ,two weeks before i was due to get it ,the court ruling happened,was gutted at the time, but due to the court ruling i left it as closed case.
    looking at my accounts a few weeks ago i now realise i had a really good case under the "financial hardship" ruling,as it was the snowball effect of these charges each month that were causing the problem in the first place.
    phoned tsb today to ask where i need to send my complaint under the "hardship ruling" to be told it only counts under the hardship ruling if the hardship is now.
    is this right.and is there anything else open to me as i feel this is not fair,or just as if i'd know about the hardship part in 2007 i would have done something about it then and not left it til now.
    any help or advice would be greatfully recieved,rather than the brick wall i got from tsb.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback