Train tickets

Options
Hi all, I am due to go away at the end of May and I wondered when the best time to get cheaper train tickets is ? (If any!) I have been looking for the last few weeks but they have not changed much. Can anyone offer any money saving advice?

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Approx 12 weeks, depends on the operator, but (a) there is a timetable change in early may (b) end of May you may have engineering work on the holiday weekend.

Current availability is shown here (National Rail) and some of the train operator websites will let you sign up for an email alert when your desired date is released.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com .
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The prices may not be changing because all of the cheap tickets were sold back in February and the only ones available now are tickets that are always available.
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of the price of train tickets going down. The best time is probably ASAP!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Train tickets only ever go up in my experience
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    tryin wrote: »
    I've never heard of the price of train tickets going down. The best time is probably ASAP!
    Train tickets only ever go up in my experience

As previous posters have said, train companies issue a limited number of cheap advance tickets, restricting you to travel on particular trains. These usually become available around 12 weeks before the date of travel, but their release can get delayed if timetable changes are due or engineering works scheduled.

So when buying tickets it's always worth checking if the advanced tickets have been released for the date(s) on which you wish to travel, If they haven't then you may be able to get cheaper tickets if you wait until they are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure