United Airlines delayed take off, resulted in missing connecting flight-disabled passenger

13»

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wouldn’t you have had to eat/drink anyway, even if you’d arrived at your destination on time?

During the period of a qualifying delay the airline has a duty of care for passengers basic needs, such as food, drinks and hotel. It's a requirement of the regulations:)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2019 at 7:42PM
    Tyzap wrote: »
    During the period of a qualifying delay the airline has a duty of care for passengers basic needs, such as food, drinks and hotel. It's a requirement of the regulations:)

Yes, I know that. But is it really worth the hassle?
    I know some people feel the need to scrap over every last penny they’re ‘owed’, personally I think there would be a limit to how much effort I’d put into persuing this for the sake of $40 I’d probably have had to spend out anyway.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Tyzap
    Yes, I know that. But is it really worth the hassle?

The op obviously felt so, and thats all that matters isn't it?

I know some people feel the need to scrap over every last penny they’re ‘owed’, personally I think there would be a limit to how much effort I’d put into persuing this for the sake of $40 I’d probably have had to spend out anyway.

The op was needlessly frugal imo, given that they would be entitled to a full meal and drink at airport prices, which we all know are OTT.

As an aside, the regulations are very specific and insistent on the airlines taking extra care of less able bodied passengers. This airline seems to have completely ignored that aspect of the regs.

As this thread is about helping passengers claim their legal entitlement, you are really posting a negative opinion in the wrong place, again imo.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2019 at 7:17AM
    Ok, sorry if you feel I’m being negative. I understand that the OP is legally entitled to claim the money back, and if they want to pursue it they certainly should. I was simply offering a different point of view - maybe one they hadn’t considered.

We obviously disagree about the balance of value/cost in non-monetary terms of persuing this. That’s fine, life would be very dull indeed if everyone had the same opinion on everything :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • zaza14
    zaza14 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hiya,

The reason I asked about whether I could claim for the $40ish, is, quite rightly put by Tyzap, because we didn't know if we would've been able to, so we bought one main course, and shared it between 3 of us, as everything was very expensive at the airport. So I asked whether it was claimable, because it was also to know whether or not it is possible to claim back should such a scenario arise again i.e. equip myself and others with the knowledge of this for the future.
  • zaza14
    zaza14 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2019 at 10:54AM
    Also, we all did have travel insurance. There isn't a need for us to make a claim or anything with our travel insurance, right?

I ask these questions purely to equip myself with knowledge. It isn't because I am "cheap." I just want to know what is available.
  • Tyzap
    zaza14 wrote: »
    Also, we all did have travel insurance. There isn't a need for us to make a claim or anything with our travel insurance, right?

I ask these questions purely to equip myself with knowledge. It isn't because I am "cheap." I just want to know what is available.

Hi zaza14,

You should not ever have to share a meal between three of you to keep costs down due to airline induced problems, see below for more on this subject.

There's no insurance claim that I can see.

For future reference here are some quick tips to smooth your flight experience.

If you're travelling to, for example, the USA, it's best to book a European airline for the return journey so that you are covered by the EU regulations. All airlines are covered departing from the EU.

Try to book all flights directly with the same airline. This can save a whole multitude of problems if things go wrong.

If things do go wrong, and once you are covered under the airlines duty of care, you must make it known to them that you need extra care due to whatever illness or disability you, or one of your party may have. The onus is then on them to ensure you are well looked after.

You can buy meals and hot or cold drinks (but none alcoholic) appropriate to the time of the day, if it's more than the low value vouchers they sometimes give out that is okay, so long as everything is covered with a receipt.

If you need an overnight hotel due to a long delay or cancellation the airline are supposed to arrange this for you. This include transport to and from the airport to the hotel. If they refuse to meet this obligation you should make you own arrangements and then claim back all your costs at a later date.

The EU261 regulations are there to protect passengers and knowledge of them is the key to getting what you are due.

It's a good idea to have a flight delay guide app on your phone, you never know when you'll need it.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure