10 year stretch

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Its most likely going to take about 18 months/2 years to finish the outside work its been neglected for quite a while when the former owners health deteriorated. And we have quite a bit of heavy landscaping to do, we can do most of the work ourselves to keep the cost down but like most we are time poor.
    I just hate moving onto the next project when the first one isn't yet complete but it will be Easter before I can start the bulk of the planting at the front.
    Plant collection is getting a bit out of hand mostly I bring the sad and unwanted plants home from work for free but am also buying way more then I should. There is worse vices to have :)
  • tori.k
    well paydays been and gone managed to move £500 to savings with the lad returning £100 a week for the next three weeks to join it.
    Got a chap coming over to look at the bathroom next week we are removing the bath and fitting a large shower and replacing the tiles with shower board ( I hate grout). he's booked solid until September so have a little while to save for the work. I shall keep the taps and we can replace the bath cheaply if we ever decided to sell.
    Everything is slowly coming together.
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds like some lovely bathroom plans. We're intending to do ours up at some point in the future (the entire house needs doing up, it's going to take a while!!) and I've been flipping and flopping between a walk in shower or retaining the bath. I do like having the option to have a bath but probably only have about one a year. In theory, I think we might have space for a walk in shower AND a bath, but that seems rather greedy :D

Congrats on the £800 into savings!!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I do envy you. It's so exciting making plans. My dream is to have a huge gorgeous bathroom but savings and mortgage OPs are more of a priority at the moment. :(

I am so happy you are plant buying and collecting it will be something great to look forward to. Roll on summer. :j:j:j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • tori.k
    Been a while since i've updated we've been busy in the garden :)
    Front is finally finished to the neighbours relief, has ended up costing more than anticipated as these things do due to some fencing that needed to be replaced, I have to learn to stop poking about as little jobs are turning into expensive ones, ignorance is bliss at times but its finally done.
    Both our finances and us need a break so we've put a hold on any new jobs until next year.
    im about to get stricter with myself, my yearly round up showed I put 2.5K more on the credit card than I planned as much as this was paid off its still a third of my yearly mortgage payments so would have been better as an over payment.
    so need to get serious with the savings starting this month.
  • tori.k
    £600 across to DH savers and a 3% regular saver set up for £50 a month. this will slowly topped up and increased to the 3k and basically be forgotten about and just left to continuously drip feed into yearly savers this is DH funeral money mine already done, seemed daft paying for a pre paid funeral when we may as well just insure ourselves and have the yearly interest dumped back into the bills account.
  • savingwannabe
    Clever thinking with the funeral planning but flippin heck it is quite weird to hear about funeral planning as to me all the friends on here are so vibrant.

I have a will but always think of a funeral plan and then don't trust any of the companies so I just bumble along hoping my relatives will take the funeral costs out of savings. Yikes.

Well done on the savings £650 is great. It will soon add up.
  • tori.k
    Im quite pragmatic about things like that, its sorted and given no more mind space.
    DH has also discovered the humor that is Dave Ramsey on you tube, so I expect to be upping the savings a fair bit over the next month or so until the novelty has worn off, then it should settle back down.
    I think he's actually started enjoying some of the garden DIY projects and would like more free time available, he's actually discussed the possibilities of part time roles available at his company if he reduced his working hours once the mortgage is paid up, I know its just good weather fever from being stuck in a office all day, but its the first time he's openly discussed part retirement, when its all I talk about :D
  • tori.k
    Cleared the credit card the planting at the front finished up at £860, £600 of that being the pearlwort lawn so content enough with that in a season it will all grow in to look like its been there for years.
    10 days to payday with £377 left in the budget if I can keep £300 we can drop 1K of the mortgage this month but aware the water bill is due any minute.
  • savingwannabe
    I love Dave Ramsay and he has changed my life. The voice of common sense in a world of noise! Well done on all of the lovely gardening and lawn which is a great price I think.

It would be great if your DH could go part time and enjoy retirement as then you could enjoy your lovely garden and time with you which is precious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport