IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• frank_potter
    frank_potter Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2013 at 3:32PM
    Another POPLA appeal defeat for Town and City Parking Ltd.

A family member was the driver of the vehicle concerned.

After a long wait the appeal was allowed (appeal due to be heard on 15th April 2013 but actually took place 5th June 2013). Details here:

Xxxx xxxxxxxx (Appellant)
    -v-
    Town & City Parking Ltd (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number TExxxxxxxx arising out of the presence at Asda Store Harrogate, on 15 February 2013, of a vehicle with registration mark xxxx xxx.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    At xx.xx on 15 February 2013, the Operator issued a parking charge notice in relation to the vehicle with registration mark xxxx xxx for being “out of time”. An electronic copy of the parking charge notice has been produced.

The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions for parking are clearly displayed at the site and state that valid tickets must be clearly displayed. Copies of the conditions have been produced. They also state that a failure to comply with the restrictions mean that a parking charge notice will be issued.

The Appellant made various representations, stating that in the case of Vehicle Control Services Limited - and - The Commissioners for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC) the Upper Tribunal (Tax and Chancery Chamber) held that the Operator needs rights of occupation or possession in order to have authority to issue parking charge notices. The Appellant submits that the Operator does not have this authority. The Appellant also submits that the Operator has not complied with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

The Operator rejected the representations, because they have been appointed by their client to manage the car park. The Operator has not produced any evidence to show that they have written authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices at the site.

The case of VCS v HMRC concerned Value Added Tax but, In Paragraph 46 of the Decision, it states:

VCS is permitted under the contract [with the landowner] to collect and retain all fees and charges from parking enforcement action.

This case has now been considered by the Court of Appeal ([2013] EWCA Civ 186) where, in allowing the appeal of VCS, the Court held:

In the present case the contract between VCS and the landowner gives VCS the right to eject trespassers. That is plain from the fact that it is entitled to tow away vehicles that infringe the terms of parking. The contract between VCS and the motorist gives VCS the same right. Given that the motorist has accepted a permit on terms that if the conditions are broken his car is liable to be towed away, I do not consider that it would be open to a motorist to deny that VCS has the right to do that which the contract says it can. In order to vindicate those rights, it is necessary for VCS to have the right to sue in trespass. If, instead of towing away a vehicle, VCS imposes a parking charge I see no impediment to regarding that as damages for trespass.

The material events occurred before the coming into force of Section 54 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. However, it is clear that, subject to the terms of the contract between them and the landowner, an operator may issue a parking charge notice to a vehicle for a breach of conditions of parking.

Membership of the Approved Operator Scheme does require the parking company to have clear authorisation from the landowner (if the Operator is not the landowner) to manage and enforce parking. This is set out in the British Parking Association Code of Practice. Therefore the Operator is likely to have authority to issue parking charge notices. However, as with any issue, if the point is specially raised by an appellant, then the operator should address it by producing such evidence as they believe refutes a submission that they have no authority. The Operator has not produced any evidence of their appointment by the client. Nor has the Operator indicated that their client is even the landowner.

Therefore, having carefully considered all the evidence before me, I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, the Operator has not shown that they have authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices. As the Appellant submits that the Operator does not have authority, the burden of proof shifts to the Operator to prove that they do. The Operator has not discharged this burden.
    Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Shona Watson
    Assessor
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    From Pepipoo -

PCM

Appeal : rejected

At XX:XX on XX December 2012, the Operator issued a parking charge notice because the vehicle with registration mark XXXX XXX was parked in a disabled bay but the Operator’s employee could not see a valid disabled badge on display. The employee then took a number of photographs of the vehicle, one of which shows the parking charge notice on the windscreen.

The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions for parking are clearly displayed throughout the site and state that motorists parking in disabled bays must clearly display a disabled badge. Copies of the conditions have been produced. They also state that a failure to comply with the restrictions mean that a parking charge notice will be issued. The Appellant does not dispute this.

The Appellant made representations, enclosing a photograph of the disabled badge and stating that it had fallen onto the driver’s seat but was still clearly visible.

The Operator rejected the representations, as set out in the copy of the notice of rejection they sent, because the vehicle was parked in a disabled bay without displaying a valid disabled badge. The Operator submits that the photographs taken by the employee show that the disabled badge was not visible in the dashboard or windscreen of the vehicle.

I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, the term display means that all details proving the validity of the disabled badge must be clearly visible from the outside of the vehicle, and that the badge should usually displayed on the dashboard or windscreen. I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, a valid disabled badge was not displayed. This was a breach of the terms and conditions.

It is noted that the Appellant did have a valid disabled badge, however it is the motorist’s responsibility to check on leaving the vehicle that all the terms and conditions have been complied with. On this occasion the disabled badge was not visible from the outside of the vehicle.

Accordingly, this appeal must be refused.

Shona Watson
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    Very poor appeal indeed
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Stroma wrote: »
    Very poor appeal indeed
    I don't agree. I think that this is one of the more perverse POPLA decisions. The motorist stated that the badge was on display on the driver's seat & no evidence is produced to show that it wasn't but Shona decides that's not good enough & that it must be displayed on the dashboard or windscreen. Would it still not count if it was on the parcel shelf or in a side window? We know that these parking operatives like to take lots of photos of the car interior but they didn't produce one showing that the driver's seat was empty.
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    It is a poor appeal as its only on the one point, obviously popla never will allow on that one point as can be seen above.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2013 at 12:21AM
    A ridiculous decision in a resident's own space in a gated car park. His 'offence' was to be using a courtesy car with no permit...in his space!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77591&st=20

''{Operator is - Total Security Partners Limited}

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be refused. :eek:

In order to avoid any further action by the operator, payment of the £100 parking charge should be made within 14 days.

It is the Operator’s case that a parking charge notice was correctly issued,
    giving the reason as: ‘Not displaying a valid permit’. The Operator submits
    that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed
    terms of parking.
    The Appellant does not dispute that no permit was displayed in his vehicle at
    the time of issue of the parking charge notice.
    It is the Appellant’s case that he was driving a courtesy car, as his own vehicle
    was in the garage for repairs. The Appellant submits that he was unaware
    that parking restrictions were in force.
    The Operator is seeking to rely on an agreement between itself and the
    Appellant that the Appellant would display a valid permit, or face liability for
    a parking charge. For such a term to be included in the agreement, it must
    be ‘incorporated’ into the agreement. The only relevant method of
    incorporation, in this case, is by notice. This means that the Appellant must
    have been made aware of the term, before the agreement was made, in
    order for it to be deemed part of the agreement. The Appellant will be
    deemed to have been made aware of the term if the Operator had taken
    reasonable steps to bring the term to the Appellant’s attention. The usual
    method by which an Operator takes ‘reasonable steps’ is by displaying clear
    signs around the site advertising the terms of parking.
    Once an Appellant submits that he or she was unaware of any parking
    restrictions, the onus is then on the Operator to demonstrate that it took
    reasonable steps to bring the terms of parking to the attention of the
    Appellant by demonstrating that the signs at the time and location in
    question were sufficiently clear.
    The Operator has produced a photograph of the Appellant’s vehicle which
    shows that he was parked directly next to a sign displaying the terms of
    parking. These terms of parking were clear that a permit must be displayed at
    all times, or a parking charge notice would be issued.
    The Operator does not dispute that the Appellant possesses a valid permit;
    however, the terms of parking are clear that a permit must be displayed
    when parking at this site.
    3960703009 3 07 June 2013
    Although I find no evidence of dishonesty, I am not able to take into account mitigating circumstances. That an Appellant feels he or she had good reason for failing to comply with the terms of parking is not a reason for which I can allow an appeal. When parking on private land, a motorist freely enters into an agreement to abide by the conditions of parking in return for permission to park. It is the motorist’s responsibility to ensure that he or she abides by any clearly displayed conditions of parking.
    I find that, by failing to display a valid permit, the Appellant became liable for a parking charge notice, in accordance with the terms of parking displayed. ''

Not sure yet which adjudicator put their name to that 'decision'; I would be ashamed if it were me and knowing this is a resident with an allocated space (rights & easements would apply you'd think). And no, the OP did NOT take advice on the POPLA appeal which seems to have been rushed off with just mitigating circs about the courtesy car and forgetting to transfer the permit (= hopeless).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    POPLA Adjudicator:
    Although I find no evidence of dishonesty, I am not able to take into account mitigating circumstances

POPLA Annual Report:
    In a, so far small, number of cases, Assessors have referred the matter back to the operator for their reconsideration of mitigating circumstances.

Mixed messages?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Parking-Prankster
    Parking-Prankster Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2013 at 5:48PM
    Appeal date: 3/4/2013
    Adjudication date: 8/5/2013
    Actual adjudication date: 12/6/2013

(POPLA currently running 35 days late for appeal submitted in April)

On 8 March 2013, the Operator issued a parking charge notice because on 24 February 2013 the vehicle with registration mark xxx xxx was recorded via automatic number plate recognition as having stayed in the overflow car park for 4 hours 49 minutes, which was longer than the maximum stay of 4 hours.

The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions are displayed at the site. Copies of the conditions have been produced and state that there is a 4 hour maximum stay. They also state that a failure to comply with the conditions means that a parking charge notice will be issued.

The Appellant made various representations, stating that he does not believe he has entered into a contract with the Operator, whether actual or implied, written or verbally, or by notice in the form of signs. The Appellant submits that the map produced by the Operator doe [sic] not include a key or labels. The Appellant produced a map of the site with the overflow car park marked on, and submits that there were no signs in this area of the site.

The Operator rejected the representations, as stated in the notice of rejection they sent, because the Appellant did not provide any valid reasons to cancel the parking charge notice. The Operator produced images that appear to show the vehicle entering the site at 15.50 on 24 February 2013 and exiting at 20.39 the same day. The Operator produced photographs of some of the signs in the area, which state that the maximum stay is 4 hours. A map of the site has also been enclosed. However there is no key, although it appears that the green circles indicate trees and the orange circles indicate the location of signs. It is unclear where the overflow car park is from this map, however in the area marked at the overflow car park by the Appellant there does not appear to be any signs. There is also an area marked "parking spaces", however there is no indication that any signs are displayed in this area either.

Having carefully considered the evidence before me, I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, the Operator has not shown that the terms and conditions were clearly displayed throughout the site and in the overflow car park. As the Appellant submits that there was no contract between the parties, the burden of proof shifts to the Operator to prove otherwise. The Operator has not discharged this burden.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    [/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT]Shona Watson

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Assessor[/FONT][/FONT]
    Hi, we’ve approved your signature. It's awesome. Please email the forum team if you want more praise - MSE ForumTeam
  • kirkbyinfurnesslad_2
    kirkbyinfurnesslad_2 Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2014 at 8:04PM
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Good result Prankster :T

If you don't mind I'm placing a link to your blog where you provide even more details of the PPCs abysmal showing at POPLA.

The Prankster's Latest

Just as an aside - is the PPC's written description of you as 'deceitful' libellous?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure