Online CV disctribution services

First time MoneySaver, and it just so happens I'm a student!

Anyway, it's been a year since leaving university and I haven't landed a permanent job. I have a part-time job, luckily, but this and my previous jobs are apparently not enough. It doesn't help that I have a 3rd degree and am commercially inexperienced.
A number of online job search sites recommend paying for CV distribution services (such as Resume Rabbit or e-CVs.net), as lots of jobs go unadvertised. I was thinking of parting with some cash for one of them, but I wanted to get an outside opinion first. Anyone used these sorts of things?

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't used cv services like this, but was wondering if you could find info on University and Post Grad forums about them?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Well, if it doesn't cost that much - i.e. less than a fiver - why not?

On the other hand, there are probably many sites that would list your CV for free - maybe https://www.reed.co.uk , or https://www.jobserve.com .

However, I'd abandon either of these two methods and try a more cunning plan.

1) Put together a good, short, concise CV. Get some help from friends if you are getting stuck with this - they are often the best people to help, as they know you best. Don't pay anyone who offers a CV writing service - it's not worth it.

2) Write a list of all the people you know, your parents know, or your friends know who work in businesses or industries that you might like to work for.

3) Send them all a copy of your CV, and a covering letter. In your letter, DO NOT ask them for a job, but just say that having reviewed your career options, you've decided that you really want to work in ..... Whatever industry they are working in. Say you understand that's it's going to be tough, starting from the bottom and working your way up, but it's what you REALLY WANT TO DO - and give them some reasons. You are just writing to them to ask if they have any advice on how you might get started, or know of any companies that might be prepared to take you on. Obviously, if they know of a position within their company, they are going to tell you. More usefully, if you ask people for help in the right way, very many of them are going to give it, and you can follow-up their ideas in exactly the same way.

4) In the unlikely event of 3) not working, make sure you buy your local paper each week, as well as reading the free ones. It's probably not worth reading the recruitment ads - but it won't do any harm. What you're looking for are NEWS stories on local companies that are doing well. Amend your letter to explain how you've just read in the Evening Argus that they've just bought a new factory/ got a big new order / won a customer service award - whatever - and how much you've always wanted to work for a company like theirs.

5) Many county areas have free business magazines, which are mainly puffed out with press releases stuffed full of the above - phone up the subscription department, and ask to be included on the circulation list. This may entail the telling of a small untruth - that you are, for example, a PR consultant or business journalist, or just starting a small business in the area. These publications are normally sent out monthly, and will tell you just who is doing well, etc. Obviously amend your letter to reflect the fact that you just happened to see a copy of the Surrey Business Times, noticed how well the company was doing, and how much you had always wanted to work for a company like that, etc, etc, and could they give you any pointers on how you might find a business in a similar sector who would be prepared to give you a start.

(You will notice the importance of not just writing and asking for a job - but their help in finding one.) By the way, one advantage of these business magazines is that the MD of the company will always try and get his name in the article - and he's always the one you should write to. Indeed, let us call point 6):

6) When ever you write one of these letters (to any company you have found using any of the above methods), NEVER send it to the personnel department. Phone the company, say you have some info for the MD that you want to post him, but don't know his name. Most switchboards will hand over the info you want. Those that won't - "We're not allowed to give that info out over the phone" - ask them for the name of the PA to the MD and send your letter to her.

7) Which ever method of the above gets you an interview, make sure that you do whatever research you can on the company - i.e. pick up what you can from the internet. If it's a large organisation, get an annual report. If it's a smaller company, get a friend to pop in and pick up a brochure. Read up on everything, and take everything you discover along in a transparent file, so they can see you've done some research. Make sure you just have a couple of questions you can ask that prove you know something about the company, but make sure they are fairly bland.

8) If you get an interview, but don't feel that your experience is likely to match up to that of other people they may be seeing, then start asking questions about what has made other people successful in the role you are applying for. Try and find out what values they had (which are probably going to match those of your interviewer), and try and show them that you share those values. At the end of the day, companies will often pick a candidate who they feel shares their values, even above one who has more direct experience. By the way, it's also good practice to use the same words that your interviewer uses - e.g. if they say "The company is going for mega growth", don't say "Wow - so you really intend to expand fast" - just stick with their vocab - "Wow - mega growth". I know this sounds dumb, but it really works. Don't be tempted to re-interpret what they say in the way you might say it. At the same time, try not to sound like a parrot. If you get really stuck for a question to ask, ask your interviewer why they joined the company and what excites them about it - and get excited about the same things. If you can, get the interviewer to talk more than he should - less chance for you to mess up.

9) At the end of the interview, get out of the building asap without being rude, but say as little as possible. This is a crucial time when people can say the most amazingly dumb things.

10) If you stick with the above program for at least six months, the law of unintended consequences will also start to apply - i.e. you may find your perfect job, without the direct help of any of the above. However, I promise you, had you not followed the program, you would not have found the job.

Anyway, enough. I've gone way off topic. You may not wish to hear any of this, but it's a system that I have in all honesty never known to fail, so you may wish to give it a whirl!!

Best wishes, and good luck. P.S. I'm prepared to bet you a tenner that if you stick with the above, for 6 months, you'll get started in a job you actually want.
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    I was going to point out that targeted CV's are the best from my experience of recruiting but you've covered all that and more. Brilliant post.
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • HeaddyMX
    HeaddyMX Posts: 185 Forumite
    Thank you very much, there's a few of those things I haven't tried yet but will give it a go. I can't afford not to!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    what subject did you graduate in, it would help to know, then i may be able to help you;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • NellyLock
    NellyLock Posts: 487 Forumite
    nemo183 wrote:

7) Which ever method of the above gets you an interview, make sure that you do whatever research you can on the company - i.e. pick up what you can from the internet. If it's a large organisation, get an annual report. If it's a smaller company, get a friend to pop in and pick up a brochure. Read up on everything, and take everything you discover along in a transparent file, so they can see you've done some research. Make sure you just have a couple of questions you can ask that prove you know something about the company, but make sure they are fairly bland.

8) If you get an interview, but don't feel that your experience is likely to match up to that of other people they may be seeing, then start asking questions about what has made other people successful in the role you are applying for. Try and find out what values they had (which are probably going to match those of your interviewer), and try and show them that you share those values. At the end of the day, companies will often pick a candidate who they feel shares their values, even above one who has more direct experience. By the way, it's also good practice to use the same words that your interviewer uses - e.g. if they say "The company is going for mega growth", don't say "Wow - so you really intend to expand fast" - just stick with their vocab - "Wow - mega growth". I know this sounds dumb, but it really works. Don't be tempted to re-interpret what they say in the way you might say it. At the same time, try not to sound like a parrot. If you get really stuck for a question to ask, ask your interviewer why they joined the company and what excites them about it - and get excited about the same things. If you can, get the interviewer to talk more than he should - less chance for you to mess up.

9) At the end of the interview, get out of the building asap without being rude, but say as little as possible. This is a crucial time when people can say the most amazingly dumb things.
    thanks for this advice...im off to an interview tomorrow and will take these ideas in with me...if not back to the drawing board...and application application application...not sure whether a computer scientist graduate should be mowing lawns and washing cars for life hehe :D
  • HeaddyMX
    I did an Animation degree... funnily enough it seemed a good idea at the time, but I haven't animated since leaving.
  • nemo183
    HeaddyMX wrote:
    I did an Animation degree... funnily enough it seemed a good idea at the time, but I haven't animated since leaving.

If it's any consolation, I did a Fishery Science degree (stop laughing - I can almost hear you) - it does sometimes come in useful at the wet fish counter in Tescos/Sainsburys - but it also seemed a good idea at the time - to be fair, it was an extended 4 year party, and I did meet my wife there. However, this was back in the days of grants, when you actually got paid to study.

Upon graduation, I spent the next 20 years in recruitment. This was mainly because of the obscene amount of money you could earn, at that time - things are very different now.

The downside was that after about 3 years I hated the job - but had learnt to spend the £100k that came with it.

As I was bashing out my cunning plan on the keyboard last night, it did occur to me that you were probably doing most of it already. What I forgot to add was the importance of maintaining a constant volume of output. This does not mean you have to spend 35 hours a week, constantly sending stuff out. It does mean you need to dedicate probably 2-3 days a week, fulltime, in order to get a result.

I also probably didn't stress enough the "Law of Unintended Results". This is indeed a strange thing. Following the plan, you will get a result, as long as you put in the effort. However, the result may not appear directly connected to your efforts - but, and I promise you this, had you not done the work, you would not have got the unexpected result. Although the two things may appear not to be connected, by putting yourself out there, and becoming more aware of what's going on, your subconscious mind will be constantly at work in the background, and leading you in the right direction.

I realise this sounds unlikely but I've seen it happen so many times.....

Keep at it - set yourself targets - make sure you always follow up calls.

And finally, with regards to the "Cunning Plan". I'm sure you know this was Baldricks catch phrase from Blackadder. You probably also have seen Tony Robinson (Baldrick) pop up on C4 as part of "Time Team". My eldest son (studying archaeology) was recently at a meeting with him to discuss a new site, when someone made the mistake of saying - "I know - I have a cunning plan". Mr Robinson went utterly, completely ballistic - he is now, it seems, a more serious person. So, should you ever meet him, I'd suggest a greeting of "Hello"!

Don't forget, my bet of a tenner still stands!

Best wishes, and good luck.
  • HeaddyMX
    I'll take that bet!

So far I have tried just about everything you could imagine to find work, even having spent half a year on Jobseeker's Allowance, and it is very disheartening. At one point I did try the speculative letter approach but probably didn't do it properly.
    The only issue right now is finding those companies to send letters to!
  • nemo183
    Spending any time on JSA is a miserable business - and it affects your confidence. How about just starting again, and setting aside a couple of days when you get up early, and start bashing those letters out. Despite the length of my previous posting, the real solution is getting active - even if it's contacting companies that you're really not that keen on. At the end of the day, it's a numbers game - the more activity (of just about any kind) you do, the better the chance of a result. If you are really having trouble thinking of companies to contact, get in your car - or someone elses - and just drive round, looking for businesses that seem to be doing well - drive round industrial estates, check out which companies have the best cars in the car park. See which have the smartest buildings. And then start posting those letters. There's a real trite old saying "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got" - so if what you are doing at the moment isn't working, do something different.

Lastly, as you begin to do more, you'll find that you need to dissociate yourself in some ways from what you're doing - even the most perfect letter to the best company isn't always going to work - but it will be a step closer to getting what you want.

And although not every job may offer you everything you want, it may offer the opportunity to pick up some experience that moves you in the right direction.

Whatever, I'm confident that my tenner's safe...........

Best wishes, and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport