Solar Panel can't be fixed.

Tommybox92
Tommybox92 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 22 June 2018 at 1:33PM in Energy
Basically hes the story we want to move house but we feel we cannot leave with our boiler broken but we had the boiler company round to fix it today and apparently its attached to our solar panel. We do not have the paper from the finance company that we financed it from and we still owe 8 Grand.... I'm not even sure if the thing is working or not to be honest and feel mugged off. I am wondering if there is any legal avenue to go down as the company that did the fitting went bust for god knows what reasons... and I not even sure the solar panel is even working and how are the finance going to know anything about it. I cannot have the boiler fixed intill someone looks at the solar panel. I am a wits end here and need some advice.

Thanks in Advance.
T

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Tommybox92 wrote: »
    Basically hes the story we want to move house but we feel we cannot leave with our boiler broken but we had the boiler company round to fix it today and apparently its attached to our solar panel. We do not have the paper from the finance company that we financed it from and we still owe 8 Grand.... I'm not even sure if the thing is working for not tbh and feel mugged off. I am wondering if there is any legal avenue to go down as the company that did the fitting went bust for god knows what reasons... and I not even sure the solar panel is even working and how are the finance going to know anything about it. I cannot have the boiler fixed intill someone looks at the solar panel. I am a wits end here and need some advice.

Thanks in Advance.
    T

hi - welcome to the forum. I feel your pain as we are involved in the house selling process. This is probably not what you want to hear but, unless you have an insurance-backed warranty, you are probably on your own. Are you talking about solar PV or solar thermal? I am not aware of any Solar PV arrays that connect in any way to a boiler. Solar thermal, and to a lesser extent, solar PV may be used to heat the hot water cylinder. Some more information about your system and problem might be helpful.

As far as your debt is concerned, you may have some comeback against the lender but I suspect that this question is best directed to a solicitor who can look at all the relevant contractual documents.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You should still be able to sell. Providing the house is priced accordingly for the work needed doing then there shouldnt be huge problems. Youll be limiting your market to those willing to do the repairs/replace.

As for getting it fixed, you might not be able to if its broken. But then if its broken you should be able to get it replaced.

To find that out youll need to contact an installer of solar boiler systems. Theyll, probably for a small charge, diagnose anything that is wrong with the system.

Just google solar boiler installers 'your location' and you should get some hits of local installers who will be able to look at it.

Realistically if you want to take any kind of legal action you need to know what youre taking legal action against. So far all youve got is your ignorance and a company stopping trading. You dont even know what you want to complain about?
  • Tommybox92
    Tommybox92 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 June 2018 at 2:50PM
    No idea but were pretty desperate money is tight and we would like to move ASAP and the people buying our house are ready to go. and we have house were doing checks on now. It is a thermal solar it has tank on the equipment in the outhouse it says Resol uk. and G Torrent and the boiler company we hired to fix it today wouldn't they said they can't as its not supposed to be connected to a combi boiler.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Resol is the name of the company that make the controller. Unless its the controller thats not working its of no use.

G torrent is in relation to the company that manufactured the hot water cylinder, again probably not much use.

Im assuming you got it installed considering youre still paying for it? Do you not have any of the paperwork that will have been given to you regarding the installation and guarantees around the products?

You need to offer a bit more information. You can fit solar thermal to a combi boiler, so they either dont know what theyre talking about or they said your specific boiler isnt suitable. Im inclined to think its the former if you got a boiler installer round rather than someone who fits solar boiler options.

What have the buyers said about it? If theyre good to go, whats the issue? If they want the boiler sorting, theyre not good to go.

Youll probably pay for it one way or another, either through a reduced value in the selling price or having to repair it. If i was your buyer i would be wanting to sort it myself so its done on my terms rather than someone who is sorting it to get rid.
  • How much do you think it would cost to get fixed? its typical that the !!!!!!! thing would break when we are moving.... typical luck...

We are currently looking for the paperwork now but not having much luck finding any the finance company said we really need that paperwork.

The people moving don't know about any of these faults yet because they had there offer accepted before all this Cack happened to us. I guess the best thing would be to have another grand or so taken off the price or something. I'm extremely new to buying and selling houses.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Once your buyer knows about the problem, and regardless of the final price for house, their solicitor may require some form of insurance indemnity regarding the boiler / solar panel.

Just saying so you can be forearmed if it comes up

I had to include indemnity for something I forget now, but that was over 30 years ago
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure