Interview help / advice

Options
Hi all,

I am currently at university completing my dissertation and studying for upcoming exams in mid July for bioscience degree. I am 30 years old fyi. I applied for a part time job as an office cleaner for 3 hours in the evening mon - friday. My interview is tomorrow arranged at a pub as the company head office is far from their client where the job will be done.

I am sure they will want to know why I want this job. I believe it is a permanent position. My disso and exams are late because I had them deferred due to health issues which I am now waiting for surgery... Anyway I am well and able to work physically. I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness that unfortunately is stuck with me for life so I just have to get on with it!

I wanted to find a cleaning job after uni anyway as I had one last summer and actually I found it was the best job I ever had!!
I was really happy in that role and I just thought that I would find another cleaning job after uni as I do not intend to go into a bioscience career of any kind. I want to set up my own business and have a job that I enjoy so it can tide me over whilst I set things up for my business. So in the meantime, as the student finance has run out I need a little extra income. I am hoping that through this potential part time role I may go on to full time hours after disso finished. So this may be a door into what I was planning anyway.

I am stuck on how to explain why I want this job. I imagine he might wonder why I would want this job with such a degree? He might wonder how long am I going to stick around?

I know part of this answer is that I genuinely enjoy cleaning and I am not embarrassed to have this job as I know some people might put their noses up at it (I wouldn't say the last part). I intend to keep this job for the long term providing I am happy with this particular company, the people I work with and the company procedures in delivering an excellent cleaning service! I am very set on working for a company who delivers what they promise and I want to be able to be a part of that. I really hope they allow me to clean with some autonomy in ensuring that I provide the best there is to see in cleaning :)
Wow, just realised how passionate I am about that haha. How funny for something so simple such as cleaning :rotfl:

That was a bit long, but felt I needed to give a bit of background.

So what is the best thing to say without giving too much away? I feel that telling them that I intend to have this as a longterm job might spark up so questions as to why considering stark difference in careers and also I don't feel it is appropriate to divule in health issues and deferring of assessments as this may raise further questions.

I am just thinking of saying I completed uni and I now just want to be a cleaner; I enjoyed the last job I had so much that I see this making me happy more than anything else I have deliberated about doing. I value having a healthy work life balance and I know that this job will help fulfil that.

I am braced for the misunderstanding from family and friends but I am not sure how to express this to a prospective employer who might also question these things.

I want to make sure I give the best possible chances of getting this job, by knowing the right way to word and explain this.

Any thoughts, opinions and advice welcomed!

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport