Pre employment checks

Options
Hi there, I have recently been offered a new job on the conditions I pass the vetting checks, I’m really worried about the credit check as I have 10 defaults and £6000 worth of debt still to pay off, and my credit score is currently in the very poor bracket. I have no ccjs and no I’ve never been made bankrupt. I would like information on what they are looking for in the checks and will I pass? I have been paying off my debt but credit score has been very poor for over 2 years.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They won't see the score as no one sees that but you. And even you should ignore it ;)

What is the job? It will likely just be identity checks and money laundering checks
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot depends what level of checks they will do and what the company requires, unless you tell us that we don't know...

We had to submit financial data for MOJ security approval in my last job (that was the level below official secrets act) but it's part of checking to see if you could be coerced into giving out information through being bribed to pay off your debts as an example.

If you are handling financial information it's a bit different to a job say at a supermarket HR department but they will almost certainly find the defaults and debt and that could well result in the job offer being withdrawn
  • Sk1989
    Sk1989 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the post. It’s a jobs with Scottish widows in a telephony admin role it is in the finance sector but not sure whether the checks will go in depth or not. I was asked if I had any ccjs or bankruptcy but nothing about defaults in the first questionare.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think you will be alright - it is more about failure to declare when asked. Least you haven't applied to a former creditor or anything! :)

The finance industry cannot take candidates with CCJ's, debt relief orders, bankruptcy and IVA's that are outstanding and showing on the credit report, these days. So stuff that is really easy to know about as these are public and court records. The average debt does not sit in court records does it?

To be honest I don't buy the checking - even an identity check last summer should have revealed at the time I allegedly had two jobs - never brought to my attention. It would have been far more concerning then any credit report.

If I can proceed with an application after passing the 6th year and with a debt relief order having cleared off my report, having made a declaration then anything is possible. The worst that can happen if you are asked to defer having answered what is needed to know or you decide to take a job that calls for less intrusion and you get a letter for the Jobcentre if you are unemployed. (Scrub that you get a nice letter anyway)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sk1989 wrote: »
    Thanks for the post. It’s a jobs with Scottish widows in a telephony admin role it is in the finance sector but not sure whether the checks will go in depth or not. I was asked if I had any ccjs or bankruptcy but nothing about defaults in the first questionare.

They asked about ccjs and bankruptcy and you have neither so I don't see you have anything to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure