PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord Concerns

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ~shoozy~ wrote: »
    I've never had confirmation in writing of who my LL is, everything was done as C/O Letting Agency. It was only when I checked the council register that I saw that it was a husband and wife. Now it's just the husband according to the LA.
    Council register? Where are you?

Where a change of landlord takes place, you must be formally informed. Read the Act!

Ring/write to the mortgage company to confirm if

a) it's as the letting agent explained or
    b) your tenancy might be at risk due to repossession?
  • ~shoozy~
    ~shoozy~ Posts: 77 Forumite
    I'm in Scotland.

Thanks, will phone them asap.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm in Scotland.
    Then please ignore any advice I have given above that relates to the law - my advice relates to the law in Eng/Wales.
  • ~shoozy~
    The latest development is that the council have issued my LL with a Rent Penalty Notice and instructed me not to pay my rent until I'm told otherwise.

Couldn't get through to the mortgage company yesterday so I'll try again today, also need to phone the council to see what this actually means for me.

My original tenancy agreement states 2 months notice, but I've been on a rolling contract for the past 2.5 years. Am I still held to that 2 months notice?
    Apologies, I can't remember the exact wording but i'll check when I'm home later.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Maybe if you look for something to buy now, you could be in by the time this all comes to a head. I think that's what I would do.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The latest development is that the council have issued my LL with a Rent Penalty Notice and instructed me not to pay my rent until I'm told otherwise.

Couldn't get through to the mortgage company yesterday so I'll try again today, also need to phone the council to see what this actually means for me.

My original tenancy agreement states 2 months notice, but I've been on a rolling contract for the past 2.5 years. Am I still held to that 2 months notice?
    Apologies, I can't remember the exact wording but i'll check when I'm home later.

What do you mean by rolling contract? What does the last tenancy agreement you signed say will happen at the end of the fixed term?
  • ~shoozy~
    I signed a short assured tenancy for 6 months back in 2015. I've had nothing else since, nor signed anything. I can't remember the wording but it basically said it would continue on a monthly basis after the 6 months was up.

Hoploz - I'm trying to pull as much money as I possibly can to get out of here asap. even considering moving back to the parentals for a couple of months!
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Keep the rent money separate. Don't spend it!
  • ~shoozy~
    Haha yes the letter states to keep it in a separate account!
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    I'm in Scotland.

Thanks, will phone them asap.
    I'm really astonished to hear that you're in Scotland but having trouble getting the landlord to put his hand in his pocket. That's unheard of in my experience. Normally they're open handed to a fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure