Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It is indeed clunky - there used to be a widget at the top of the thread that took you to the last unread which was great.

Sounds like good progress by you.
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi DSL :hello:

just finished reading your diary...you're doing fab, am subscribed and eagerly looking forward to the next Installment of your debt slaying journey!! Keep up fab work lovely with you all the way....cheering you on all the way!!:beer:

Sx
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • Shelbi wrote: »
    Hi DSL :hello:

just finished reading your diary...you're doing fab, am subscribed and eagerly looking forward to the next Installment of your debt slaying journey!! Keep up fab work lovely with you all the way....cheering you on all the way!!:beer:

Sx

Thanks Shelbi!! Cheers to that :beer:
  • Afternoon Peeps!

Not much to report today. Managed a NSD yesterday and will be having one today.

I've been trying to make some payments to my Partnership Card over the past few days (CC3 - I use it for food and fuel spends and pay off in full every month) and have been wildly unsuccessful. I've unconventionally used it for presents spending this month and I wanted to pay it off as I went along, so my current balance matched my fuel and food spends in YNAB. All seemed perfectly logical to me. However, it seems that credit card companies don't let you pay off your spends willy nilly. :rotfl: I think I've made too many payments this statement period and thus any further payments I make until statement day (which is tomorrow) will be classed as putting the account in credit. Doh. Need to hold back my enthusiasm. Its not a bank, its a credit card!

Other than that, I have a couple of visits into the office planned this week and have breakfasts / lunches already prepped so hoping to make them NSDs too aside from having to put fuel in the car.

Dinner can be whatever we fancy off the list of food we have stuff in for. Need to chat to DF as I might have to get stuff out of the freezer and time is ticking for it to be safely defrosted.

I've got a call into the mortgage broker and waiting for a call back - I'm going to start that ball rolling I think, just to see what the process is and how much my existing debts may matter in terms of the borrowing amount and rate. If they don't matter too much, I may chat to DF about just getting on with things and putting the house on the market now. The house I have my eye on to look around is still on the market and I've been thinking more and more about what our life may be like if we moved there - it feels good and I think I may be tempted by it, but we need to market and sell ours first!! Oh look, the impatient tendency I spoke about earlier on in my diary.... :cool:

Back to work I go...

DSL :j
  • Morning Peeps!

In the office today. Gawd, its such a trauma getting up and out of the house in the morning now. I've become a bit complacent with all these working at home days and accustomed to a rather easier transition into the working day. Still, its a nice change of scenery and good to catch up with colleagues.

Spent £15 on fuel this morning and will have a small food spend on the way home from work as I forgot fruit the other day and have a hankering for some strawberries! Dinner is defrosting in the fridge so no spends for that necessary.

According to my statement, the random £1.44 interest on CC1 was from purchases made from 8th - 22nd September for my work expenses (two trips). I spent £123.01 in total and was charged at 17.7% interest rate on this 'outstanding balance'. But, I made a payment on 26th September of £596.63 thinking this would pay off the spends. I'm not sure why I was charged interest as I thought you had 56 days grace period to pay off spends before interest kicked in? Or are you charged interest from the moment you spend on CCs? Shows how much I know about the blasted things!:rotfl: Maybe I'll get an interest refund as I've had one before.

My work expenses got retuned this morning because the stupid excel sheet I had to use was formatted ridiculously and removed the first two digits of my bank account (they are 00). All sorted now - after figuring out I just needed to format the cell to text - but I hope it doesn't delay them being reimbursed by the end of the month.

Submitted another £20 of expenses today so hopefully they will also be reimbursed soon too!

Have a great debt slaying day.

• Ahem. Went via the pub rather than the supermarket on the way home :p

Still, I didn't spend any ££s as I was driving and had a couple of soft drinks bought for me so all in all, a lowish spend day just £15 on fuel for commuting. Good times.

Will need to pick up that fruit tomorrow morning from the supermarket though.

Working at home tomorrow, so no fuel or lunch costs. :T

But...I'm going out for dinner tomorrow night, so it might be a wee bit spendy though all budgeted for.

Lots of diary updates to catch up on here today - will get back to it after I've cooked dinner (from the freezer! :cool:).

DSL :beer:
  • Afternoon Debt Slayers,

Having a day off work today. At home and waiting for a call from our mortgage broker to start the ball rolling. I've spent a bit of time this morning doing our joint finances (salary, assets, immediate obligations, monthly spends, credit commitments) in preparation for the call. All nicely organised in an excel spreadsheet. Not too sure what my broker will need at this stage but I think I've got everything covered for any surprise questions.

The only spends I've got today are dinner out and maybe a drink in the pub after. Budgeted for it so hopefully I won't have to move money around my YNAB categories! I've probably over budgeted for fuel this month so I could take a cheeky £20 from there.

I've got another big work trip coming up soon but work are prepaying my train fare (phew) so I'll just have public transport (£6ish) and a snack/coffee (£10 max) to pay for on the day. I've also got a local work visit too, but the train fare isn't too bad and there is food / coffee provided. I've budgeted £32 for work expense this month so I'm hoping that will be more than enough. From now on, I'm trying not to use CC1 for expenses to avoid interest payments.

• DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 October 2017 at 5:14PM
    Good news, folks.

We got a decision in principle for a mortgage that would more than cover the house that were interested in. We've got a fair bit of equity in our house and so are aiming for a LTV of around 73% - 74%. The broker seems to think our finances look good and there shouldn't be any major problems borrowing what we want.
    However, the monthly mortgage payment will be nearly three times as much as our current mortgage payment :eek: All the more reason to get that 3-6 month emergency fund built and the CC debt paid off as soon as possible!!

The credit card debt didn't seem a big issue (given the outstanding debt is set against our joint income rather than my personal income). I asked the broker how it would be considered by lenders and he said that lenders generally calculate 3% of each outstanding balance as a fixed monthly repayment. He didn't seem bothered by my £9k. Phew.

Now we can get the ball rolling more confidently and look at marketing our property and maybe take a look around the one that is for sale.

• Had a busy end to the working week and ended up going out for impromptu drinks with friends on Friday night. Spent about £22 which wasn’t too bad, but I’ve had to shuffle my ynab categories around to find the ££s

Spent most of today hungover :o and I’ve had a very quiet day. Got stuff out of the freezer for dinner so had a NSD.

Tomorrow I’d like to do some more spring cleaning as planned. We’ve got plenty in the freezer so I don’t envisage a supermarket trip.

Got issues with a very old filling - my dentist and I have been waiting for it to break so it can be replaced. Well, the filling has stayed strong but some of the tooth around it has broken so I’ll probably need to pay for a crown over the next few weeks. It will have to come off November’s CC payments.

DSL :j:
  • DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 October 2017 at 11:32AM
    Sometimes, life really does get in the way of debt slaying!

I went to the dentist this morning to see about my broken tooth - he thinks I'll need a crown. I've opted for a tooth coloured one, which will cost me £400 :eek:

I've a few options to cover this cost including reducing November's CC overpayments by £400 or temporarily borrowing £150 from my car maintenance savings and deferring the hit on overpayments until January when the service is due. I'm tempted by the latter.

In the past, I wouldn't have worried about it and just put it on CC2. Goes to show how my mindset is changing because now the consequences are reduced debt overpayments and that is mildly frustrating. I'm happy with that as it means that overpaying has become more important that sneaking it on a CC and dealing with it later (when later never comes until its too late).

I've also got £390 car insurance to pay for in December. Again, this will need to come off CC over payments for that month.

So, all in all, I'm probably going to lose some momentum in debt repayments over the coming months but I'm hoping my budgeting will keep me at an acceptable pace to achieve my short term goal - I'm already 44.65% there with 3 pay days to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport